Search

Book Group #1: Key Competencies for the Future, with NZCER | from 3rd October

Started by Karen Spencer 14 Sep 2014 12:48pm () Replies (36)

NZCER Key CompetenciesWe are delighted that NZCER will be hosting the first NZ Book Group in Connected Educator Month this year.

The new publication, Key Competencies for the Future, will be spotlighted through webinars and online discussions. This is a wonderful opportunity for educators across New Zealand and beyond to come together online to talk to the authors and explore the themes in the book. Join Sally Boyd, Rose Hipkins, Rachel Bolstad and Sue McDowall as they share their thoughts on this popular new publication.

Recordings from the Book Group

Meanwhile, check out this video in which the authors, Sally Boyd, Rose Hipkins, Rachel Bolstad and Sue McDowall, talk about what some of their values are and how these values helped frame the discussions in their new book:

M logoBrought to you with the support of Microsoft, our National Connector partner.

Replies

• Diane Mills (View all users posts) 13 Oct 2014 4:18pm ()

I'm enjoying reading Key Competencies for the Future, now downloaded onto my iPad and I have also enjoyed the conversations posted here too.  It is important that we do pose 'wicked problems' for students to consider.  Well crafted lessons and content are the starting point for this, but allowing the flow to be at the students' pace and direction is important too.  I can share an example my husband shared with me. He was working on the film  Welcome with his high school English students.  Briefly, a young Kurdish-Iraqi illegal immigrant is hiding out in France and trying to make it through to England to meet his girlfriend, whose family have been accepted into England. So many questions came from the students after watching the film - 'Why couldn't he just go to England?' 'What was stopping him?' 'Why do countries have borders?' and finally 'Who decides who is welcome and who is not?' This latter being a perfect example of the wicked problem - "highly complex, uncertain, and value-laden"1. Knowing when to dispense with a set program and allow time for the students to talk about, think about and pursue these questions further is crucial and one that some teachers might find difficult to do in a time-driven and assessment laden program.

1. Pg 52 Key Competencies for the Future

• Diane Mills (View all users posts) 16 Oct 2014 10:58am ()

I am with you on this one Amanda.  If we begin to 'measure' things like key competencies, we start to narrow them down into more simplistic things that can be described easily for measuring.  We force students then to react and respond in certain ways to match the rubric we have created.  We need to be more adaptive and generative and look at ways that we can capture and celebrate student learning and the key competencies - just like the student reflection you mention above.

I have to say, as I read all of the responses here, a TED talk by Diana Laufenberg: How to Learn - From Mistakes illustrates and supports so many of the ideas we are talking about.  Take a look and see what you think, it is a good conversation starter for PLD.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa

Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa

The home of Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa in the VLN.