Search

Book Group #1: Key Competencies for the Future, with NZCER | from 3rd October

Started by Karen Spencer 14 Sep 2014 12:48pm () Replies (36)

NZCER Key CompetenciesWe are delighted that NZCER will be hosting the first NZ Book Group in Connected Educator Month this year.

The new publication, Key Competencies for the Future, will be spotlighted through webinars and online discussions. This is a wonderful opportunity for educators across New Zealand and beyond to come together online to talk to the authors and explore the themes in the book. Join Sally Boyd, Rose Hipkins, Rachel Bolstad and Sue McDowall as they share their thoughts on this popular new publication.

Recordings from the Book Group

Meanwhile, check out this video in which the authors, Sally Boyd, Rose Hipkins, Rachel Bolstad and Sue McDowall, talk about what some of their values are and how these values helped frame the discussions in their new book:

M logoBrought to you with the support of Microsoft, our National Connector partner.

Replies

• Anne Sturgess (View all users posts) 06 Oct 2014 1:54pm ()

This book is critically important and should be compulsory reading along with the NZC. All students need to be change agents: This is especially true for those students who care intensely about social and environmental issues because they can become overwhelmed and hugely distressed by the immensity of issues they're exposed to every day. These are often the students that impress teachers with their heartfelt reactions to novels and activities that address significant issues - what the teacher can't see is the turmoil that continues to plague many of these children beyond the duration of the unit of work.  Quite apart from the real-world learning that takes place, being 'part of the solution' helps these children address this intensity by making a contribution. The Starfish Story is a great way to introduce the notion of being part of the solution in a manageable way. Although videos of the story are available, I find students engage more when I tell, and act it, myself.

As a PLD provider for the last four years, I don't have access to my own classes now but the Te Ao Whanui class website provides an example of one way of engaging students in complex local real-life challenges based on the last Year 10 class I taught (in 2010). The learning programme for the year centred around the name of the class 'Te Ao Whanui.' Although the theme of 'Local Participation and Global Confidence' was the same for all 29 students, each of them could choose their focus for learning, design how they would weave strands and learning objectives into their personalised learning activities and how they would show what new learning had occurred (as opposed to simply showing the product of their learning). While learning was personalised, it was also collaborative, in that students worked within, and across, their project-based groups to learn from and with each other. Formative assessment was individualised as was the assessment for those students who opted to 'have a go' at a Level 1 Achievement Standard (all passed including two with Excellence and four with Merit). Although it's not obvious on the class site, all groups completed the projects, and their achievements far exceeded their own, and others', expectations. While the site quickly became inactive as a place for writing when the year finished, the learning and principles underpinning this way of working remained with the students beyond their time in this class. Resources used for the learning programme are available in Curriculum Stories (archived). I wouldn't use these in the same way again, especially since there is so much more available to students now, but many of the ideas underpinning the programme remain relevant (for now).

I look forward to hearing others' examples and ideas of how to make these important principles active in learning at all levels.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa

Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa

The home of Connected Educator NZ-Aotearoa in the VLN.