Search

2014: Principals’ Leadership applied to strategic planning for the integration of technologies across the school community | NAPP Kōrero 14

Started by Tessa Gray 10 Sep 2014 9:33am () Replies (101)

The e-Learning Planning Framework (eLPF) online tool is now live for all schools/kura on the Enabling E-Learning  (EEL) site with full instructions and support material. Once you have created your account you can then manage your schools surveys within the e-Learning Planning Framework online tool. The MMeLPF /te Rangitukutuku (Maori Medium eLPF) tool is also available as a download on EEL.

Questions:

• How can principals lead planning that integrates the e-learning planning framework with a schools’ strategic plan and student achievement?
  • What is necessary for the successful application and dissemination of this tool?

Using the eLPF to inform strategic planning at Waerenga o Kuri

Points to consider:

• Leadership by principals who feel they do not know enough about e-learning
  • Leadership on how and why you might begin and/or continue to review your vision and strategy for e-learning, within your whole school curriculum
  • Leadership dimensions in the eLPF and how they are used
  • Leadership in exploration of the framework dimensions that you/your school might wish to address

Akonga & Kaiarahi can engage with the eLPF as follows:

Synchronous: Webinar. The Ministry of Education and Enabling e-Learning will be hosting a live webinar: Using the eLPF as a tool for staff development October 23, 3.45-4.45pm. REGISTER NOW.

• Asynchronous: Online korero in the e-learning Leadership group
  • Asynchronous: Listen to and comment on the webinar recording

Those in Blended e-Learning schools/kura have direct contact with facilitators experienced with the eLPF. Schools are also invited to share their stories here. 

Useful resources

VLN conversations

imageMillions of educators and others around the world have participated in hundreds of professional development opportunities as part of Connected Educator Month (CEM) the past two years. Sign up for your own PLD in October @  Connected Educator Month

Replies

• Glenda Sambrook (View all users posts) 21 Sep 2014 9:17am ()

e-Learning Planning Framework

What a fantastic resource for schools to establish what is currently happening and to plan for future directions. 

1. It provides a clear and ready use framework
    2. Voice is gathered from staff, students, whanau and the wider community ie it is inclusive of all parties involved.
    3. Provides information on current strengths and needs - what is currently happening and was is needed to be addressed and improved upon. 
    4. Professional development can be planned accordingly.

In the past our school wide focus has been centred on core curriculum areas integrating ICT and digital literacy - it would be great to facilitate a definite targeted school wide focus on effective use of ICT with enhanced student engagement and learning outcomes.

• Mandy Vanderwee (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2014 9:13am ()

I agree with Glenda....the framework is well set out and easy to follow.  Gathering staff and student input is essential and valuable.  Parents also need to be consulted with early, especially if BYOD is involved. Having the right expert on staff to encourage, help solve and lead others to success is important.  When someone else is passionate and leading the way others will naturally follow success.  Giving good advice to  who says yes to the money is also important.  Technology is changing so quickly....How do we make the right decisions around hardware for our schools?

• Anna van Enter (View all users posts) 31 Oct 2014 8:17am ()

I also agree with these comments.  The Framework has simple, easy to understand and follow.  Staff, student and community insight is essential.  We have just recently implemented our BYOD policy and this input by all was key to making our school digitally safe for students.   I also believe that having keen, motivated and digitally compentent teachers/staff members are vital. Technology does evolve at a quick pace but not all techonolgy is right for schools and someone has to monitor and trial 'what will work? what won't work?".  Exciting time for the learners of today. 

• CadeE (View all users posts) 01 Nov 2014 9:43am ()

I agree Anna, having digitally competent and motvated staff is key. I also think a key is 'belief' in eLearning, we have also found that our very best teachers have been the ones to get things moving. We have also created 5 Syndicate based eLearning Leaders (1 FT Unit each) to work on sustainable leadership and growth. This has also enabld me to focus more on eLearning Staretgy. 

• Gaylyn Lockington (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2014 7:02pm ()

I would agree with having MOTIVATED staff even though they are not digitally minded, being open minded and flexible to move with time is more important to me.

We have staff  members that are about to retire or have retired but stayed on becuase of the shortages of teachers who are not digitally minded but they give it their best shot. They attend PD's ofered and are willing to adapt because after all, we all want what is best for our students. That means the Maanagement have to be supportive and the younger digitally minded teachers to stand up and lead the way into this forever changing technological world.

• Ross Devereux (View all users posts) 30 Nov 2014 6:38pm ()

Some good on-going questions here!  I think we're in a day and age where it is best practice for Principals to focus on leasing equipment through such companies as Equico. This is cost effective in the long run and looks to be a solution to ever increasing pace of technology etc...a continuum, of course.

BYOD is also something which also needs to more discussion around. As an AP of a decile 1 school in South Auckland many people automatically jump at the conclusion that we cannot do this as our kids simply do not have a device to bring. This is true in some communities but largely they do! Many surveys we've done (notably in the last 18 months) have proven this. A massive change over the last 2-3 years!

• Michael Heath (View all users posts) 01 Dec 2014 10:15pm ()

At our college, we have completed a BYOD trial with a quarter of our junior cohort for the last two years. This has allowed us to learn a lot about the impact(s) it can have on teaching and learning. There have definitely been pros and cons. Just like most tools for learning they can (in the hands of a disengaged student) be used as tools of mass distraction. The difference with traditional work avoidance is that the BYODers are more discreetly off task. Just like traditional teaching the teacher needs to make sure that tools are used to support learning rather than as a whizzy addition (or an invitation to bring your own distraction). I like the e-learning planning framework, it helps guide a 'learning' focus when discussing where to with ICT PD.  I especially like the way they have thought about the language used and particularly the focus on learning and teaching (in that order). Too frequently, people have been whamboozled by gagetry and hypnotized into thinking that it will automatically translate to improvements in achievement. The most glaring embodiment of this is an underutilized interactive white(elephant)board.

• Allister Gilbert (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2014 4:59pm ()

Hi Glenda,

I agree the planning tool looks good. I want to use the teacher survey tool.

e-learning can be led to a certain degree but the teachers need to get to a point where they can see that it will improve learning. This is a tricky step, we have used visits and conferences to move things along. Write This Essay is on programme that is moving staff along quickly as they see a real use which will led to better writing across the school.

• sandrafraser (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2014 12:05pm ()

I agree Glenda it is a wonderful resoucce for schools and definetely a way to plan for the future.  I think a good way to plan ahead would be to get staff to reflect upon where they sit on the framework and go from there.

I personally would start looking at the Technologies and Infrastructure part of the framework.  Many schools have staff who are not engaged with using devices etc in their rooms and would be at Pre-emerging on parts of this section of the framework. If staff can be walked through some of these eg. "who is responsible for the techinical support?" they may start to think differently.  Often these staff are "frightened" of the technolgy because they don't understand it or know where to turn to for help.  By discussing some of the topics in this section of the e-LPF it may help overcome some of these fears.

• Greg Lees (View all users posts) 09 Oct 2014 4:35pm ()

Some interesting and supportive posts on this korero. I think we all agree this is a wonderful resource and a great tool for self-review of use of modern technology in the classroom. I love how there is a consistent theme of 'weaving' the use of technology to support curriculum for both teachers and learners. Like everything new, there is some reluctance about change and we are currently experienceing this with our staff as we establish a google domain for our school. I think I have the required material for next week's staff meeting! Having a tool to evaluate where we are at currently and where we are headed is great.

However, perhaps most importantly for some of the nay-sayers or those resistant to changing from the traditional teaching methods to future-focused pedagogy are the links to 'research and readings'.

'The potential of new technologies to transform teaching and learning is heavily dependent on educators’ abilities to see the affordances and capacities of ICT in relation to the underpinning themes for learning for the 21st century.' (Supporting future-oriented learning and teaching – a New Zealand perspective)

• Chris Meehan (View all users posts) 09 Oct 2014 5:41pm ()

As professionals Greg, we simply MUST engage in frequent bouts of research, reading, listening and watching, and there are so many avenues available for this. I receive emails from Edutopia and very much enjoyed this piece http://www.edutopia.org/blog/blended-learning-informed-parent-megan-kinsey which is actually talking about parents gaining a better understanding of e-learning and Blended Learning.

This reminded me about the mantra used by the Manaiakalani schools which is that students spend their time in the LEARN - CREATE - SHARE mode. In order to create they need the appropriate tools to do that. Teachers can make that happen, with powerful vision and leadership.

• Nenah Kelemete (View all users posts) 10 Oct 2014 2:09pm ()

I work in a mainstream school with a very high population of Maori so we have adopted Te Rangitukutuku ,The Māori Medium e-Learning Planning Framework, as the resource to guide us on our journey. I love the holistic view it takes, looking at us as a whole.

The five dimensions... 

Taiao ako, the connection with our whānau, what we can obtain from them and vice versa.

Kanohi mataara, leadership, and leading change. 

Te ako, teaching and learning.

Whanake ngaiotanga, professional learning of our kura.

Te hangarau, te tūāpapa, infrastructure and technologies.

A great plan for our kura, an awesome start and brilliant journey to undertake.

• Robyne Selbie (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2014 9:02pm ()

I agree Greg. This is a useful tool for school leaders . Karen Melluish Spencer took a valuable breakfast session today in Dunedin unpacking digital learning potential with e learning framework as an evaluative tool . I will post some of her notes if you want to follow up on this Korero.

• Michael Heath (View all users posts) 19 Oct 2014 3:27pm ()

A very topical topic for us at our school. As part of the Blended e-learning PD last year we were introduced to this tool which is a very comprehensive framework for developing the different dimensions of e-learning. I really like how the focus is on the learning. This is crucial when strategic planning for ICT as the bells, whistles and baubles of technolgy can distract from learning if this focus is not conscious. The ELPF helps with this consciousness. 

• Michael Heath (View all users posts) 19 Oct 2014 3:27pm ()

A very topical topic for us at our school. As part of the Blended e-learning PD last year we were introduced to this tool which is a very comprehensive framework for developing the different dimensions of e-learning. I really like how the focus is on the learning. This is crucial when strategic planning for ICT as the bells, whistles and baubles of technolgy can distract from learning if this focus is not conscious. The ELPF helps with this consciousness. 

• Gaylyn Lockington (View all users posts) 15 Nov 2014 4:15pm ()

Kia orana,

some very interesting posting which I have enjoyed following. Things are still far behind in my school but we do try to keep up with the use of technology in our very small school with limited budget and resources. Our principal is however very passionate about the use of technology across the curriculum and is always encouraging teachers to keep up with the game play if we are to motivte and make a difference to students' learning.In our Review report it was commented that teachers should at least have a try and intergrate the use of technology into one lesson a week. Why not?

Although there are advantages I have also come across some disadvantages. The students who have better skills and knowledge of such tools seem to dominate the use of technology especially since we have to share so coming up with strategies to deal with such issues are just as important. We would be considered a low decile school if in NZ however this does not reduce our desire to intergrate technology into every day teaching. After all we do want to prepare our students for the unkown as the majority of our young people end up in NZ or Australia therefore they need to be skillful to fit into the workforce.

Yes technology enhances students learning however it can do the opposite as well. The writing skills are getting slack, using brain power without technology is also on the decline. So I guess what I am saying is; as a school we have to do the best we can in the situation we are in.

The human resources are readily available it's the technology itself we have to posses in order to deliver.

• Gaylyn Lockington (View all users posts) 24 Nov 2014 6:55pm ()

I like points 2 - 4 mentioned and find them very useful in any school.

Although we in the Cook Ilsands are not on parr with the majority of the New Zealand schools, our education master plan aims are to prepare our students with 'skllls for life' regardless of where they choose to spend their adult life. The ministry has started an IT system here where they have pods of Ipads that schools can hire for 6 weeks or more depending on the demand and our school have been one of the lucky schools to have itised this opportunity. It started of just in the Maths department where initiall the ipads were used to provide support for the less able students thus giving the teacher time to work with other groups of students before spending more quality time with them. Now the more able students also used the ipads as extension work and other teachers in other curricular utilise this resource available in our school. we have been priviledged to have the pod for the last 2 terms which is good for us but makes me wonder why other schools are not taking on this opportunity.

We are now plannibg to have our own pod in the school with applcable apps for all curriculum areas. With the community's support we can keep up with the use of technology in our school and with the new year coming up we are including technology into our strategic plan for the main reason everyone agrees upon.... "Student Achievement"

• Glenda Sambrook (View all users posts) 21 Sep 2014 9:18am ()

Effective Leadership of e-learning

One of the significant things I have come to understand with implementing any form of change is how it is implemented.  This will significantly have an impact on the success of the change. I found Dr Cheryl Doigs framework for effecting change to be very relevant to the implementation of any change.

Effective leadership of e-learning.

e-learning is about using ICT and digital tools to connect to the wider world – a very powerful tool.

• There needs to be a common understanding of what e-learning might look like, what is the purpose of e-learning in your school and what difference will it make to student outcomes.
    • For teachers to be responsive to use technologies they will want to be assured that there will be a difference to student outcomes. Teachers want to know that what they are doing is going to make a difference to students learning.
    • A good place to start is to do a bit of research in what is happening in other schools – how is it being used and how it is making a difference.
    • To gain commitment from staff it is important that they have ownership and are part of the implementation process. It is important that they see the real benefits of what there might be for their students.
    • When implementing change it is important that you realize that things will probably become more difficult before they become easier. It is important to be prepared for this.
    • It becomes powerful when the change is made alongside the students and when the teachers see the students excitement is when the teachers become excited as they see the difference that it is making for the students.
    • It is important that e-learning becomes an integral part of the schoolwide professional development programme – that it is an expectation that all staff are involved.
    • It is important that it links back to the school vision – about the future focus of the school.

Dr Cherly Doig - http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Leadership/School-vision/Creating-a-vision-to-lead-e-learning-in-your-school

• Graham Young (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2014 10:04am ()

thanks for sharing that Cheryl Doig resource Glenda. in critiquing it two questions

is there a need to value where the staff are currently at in terms of e learning before gaining a commitment from them to change?

how do you build sustainability into the change?

• Cathy (View all users posts) 23 Sep 2014 4:47pm ()

E-learning is essential for our students now, and not when staff are ready. We are, as Cheryl Doing says, "servants of the process" we have a duty to make sure that staff are committed to "changing" so that they can prepare our students for the world of technology and possibilities of the future. It would be unrealistic to say we need to be ahead, but we do need to be learning alongside our students, and not be afraid to delve into the unknown. To make learning exciting we need to be up to speed with how children communicate, create and learn in a techie world, which to them is just normality. We should be role-modeling real in-class learning of new technologies and modelling how to find out what we don't know, without a fear of failure. Learning "techie stuff" from our students is an effective strategy for the teacher who wants to move on.

• Amanda Frater (View all users posts) 05 Nov 2014 6:39pm ()

I agree with your opening statement Cathy; e-learning needs to be driven by the needs and interests of the students rather than those of the teachers. Holding students back due to a lack of teacher knowledge or experience only results in detremental outcomes for students. In a school it is normal to have differing abilities/knowledge around ICT, and as leaders we need to assess where teachers' knowledge and expertise is, and to work from there.  Providing your staff with coaching and support is a key step - those teachers who feel 'out of their depth' will need to be assited. I also believe that we need to collaborate and share what we are doing. Often viewing things in action makes a difference to teachers.  If they can see that it's working (and making a difference), they are generally keen to give it a go.  Teachers also need to allow students to take on leadership roles within the class - giving them the opportunity to act as the experts.  Moving away from the more traditional view of teachers, and thinking of ourselves more as facilitators also seems an important factor in this process.     

• Ross Devereux (View all users posts) 30 Nov 2014 6:43pm ()

Yes! This is vital in all facets of teaching and learning and has been for years! So why should this all of a sudden change with e-learning etc?

Teachers need to lead this, as do principals. It is no good if the ICT expert in the school is leading a visionary change or changes and simply getting brushed aside at the top due to ignorance! So, what directives do we deliver nationwide in order to get everyone on board here? 

Yes, we need to let our kids lead and give them those opportunities but we cannot lead someone to a place we've not been before!

• Thomas Bigge (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2014 4:02pm ()

Glenda, I attended a workshop hosted by Cheryl Doig last term and I would like to say that it blew my mind. It really pushed my mind to the edge and made me consider how technology is changing the way we do things. In addition to this I just finished reading Stratosphere: Integrating Technology, Pedagogy, and Change Knowledge by Michael Fullan. This also blew my mind. I came away from this text inspired about the future of education. I would like to emphasise a point that he discussed.

Michael Fullan discusses how it is pedagogy that is the essential missing ingredient of implementing techonolgy and e learning in schools. Meaning that tech, without good teaching, is worthless. I really reccommend reading this as it certainly gets you thinking. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Stratosphere-Integrating-Technology-Pedagogy-Knowledge/dp/0132483149

Earlier in your post you mentioned that it is HOW something is implemented that has the biggest impact on its implementation. We are currently tackling this very issue at my school at the moment. We are trying to get staff to use more e learning tools. In order to do this we are planning for PD next year that will focus on 21st century teaching and learning skills. These workshops will not relate at all to e learning 'tools' but will simply develop on the notions of 'what good 21st learning and teaching is. . . ' Things like Personalised Learning, for example. The idea being that these workshops will begin the process of change and act as a gateway for the provision of e learning in the classroom. e.g. an e learning tool will provide an excellent opportunity for personalisation, like a teacher recording a youtube of a maths strategy breakdown for a students that need it. . . 

In doing this we aim to give the teachers the opportunity to see the purpose in what they are doing for themselves and, therefore, make the learning more powerful. 

Thoughts?? Love this e learning stuff eh! Mind boggling, exciting, I love it. 

• David van de Klundert (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2014 5:34pm ()

Thanks for your thought provoking post Thomas. Like many of us, I struggle with a good place to start with elearning--do I let others lead me and trust in their judgements about best practice and outcomes for our children? Do I attempt to lead but not really know if what I am doing meets the needs of my school community? Do I tinker around the edges with something like google apps but struggle to connect what I am doing with the classroom? Do I go to other more proficient schools and become inspired by their programmes-but deep down know that it is quite shallow with good intentions but doesn't really make a difference to student outcomes?

I have come to the conclusion that at the heart of an effective approach to eLearning some of the following is vital: (My Northland NAPP cohort will know my first one well!!)

1. What's the glue holding the curriculum and everythinbg else together--the VISION for the school--the destination? eLearning with one or two proficient collagues or ideas coming in can not side swipe this and become an anxious shallow distraction.

2. How well do we know our children and their needs? Is eLearning an add on or an integral part of the curriculum to raise student achievement?

3. Where are staff at with change? Making the necessary changes to pedagogy? Are staff managed well in this regard? If so great--effective leadership comes to the fore--if not elearning will struggle to make an impact no matter how much PD is resourced.

4. Do elearning goals tie in well with the charter, the strategic goals, budgeting?

5. Has the school identified obvious curriculum links with elearning that they know will work such as the digital learning objects, or links to inquiry--have success happening straight away?

6. Are all of the technical issues catered for? 

7. Where is leadership at with attending PD, workshops--are they present? Are they actually in classrooms doing eLearning with children--trialling things, making objective decisions? 

My main concern is what Fullan states as shared in Thomas' post--it is pedagogy that is the crux and heart of the matter--we all know how challenging this can be to change--but change it must.  

What ideas do people have to lead and assist in this area of change?

• steve (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2014 3:42pm ()

David, I think you have raised many good points about e'learning and like you I find planning for the future a challenge. Unless we are the experts it is hard to work out what is the best direction to take, what IT solution to use and how to implement it.

Starting with an aspirational vision/goal that is tied into both your charter and culture is always a sound place to start, then working out what your community wants and how this can be achieved is your next steps, which you have identified. But something that you may need to consider is the financial commitment you need to make and how that fits into your strategic planning because it can be big money!

Schools have become more and more reliant on IT, we do all of our reporting, attendance, and day to day running via these so getting the right solution at the right price is an aim we should strive for. Other things to consider is who's advice are we taking? most experts hold different reference points, some prefer Mac, some prefer PC, some want cloud based products, some want the servers on site so that the school has 100% control and ownership. We also need to consider how these thing will intergrate with our admin systems ie are we usunig Kamar or Musac, both of which are currently going through major upgrades. For example Musac is now getting replaced by 'Edge' but this has only been piloted with a few smaller school of about 400 student...will it work with a larger school of say 1500 plus? and then when is the best time to change things over....get this wrong and it will be a major headache!

As leaders we can not have all of the answers, indeed at best we can only make sound decisions based on a vision and a good team around us. Strategic planning is important as is the support of the BOT.

Another solution is BYOD, which cuts down on the isssues og facing an aging feet of computors and subsequent cost etc... This can also lead to the modern learning environment that we are all so despirated to have. 

finally I think a future where students take control of their own learning and teachers guide and encourage this is a good place to start. The fact is for leaders the reality is that most of our teacher will always be behind the students with respect to technology, but if we can create and safe learning environment that encourages and inspires then we will have done well!

• Glenda Sambrook (View all users posts) 07 Oct 2014 5:51pm ()

I must agree this e learning stuff is awesome. Another really good read is 'Living on the Future Edge'  by McCain, Jukes and Crockett. Very thought provoking on the limited changes to the current education system despite the impact technology has had on every day modern life. It really challenges your thinking about education and where we are heading. How we need to rethink and reconsider how education is being currently being delivered. 

I really like the proposed workshops your school is planning for next year re developing the notions of what good 21st learning and teaching is. I think this would be a really good place to start that change of mind sets. 

"We live in absolutely amazing, astounding, and challenging times of dramatic global, exponential trends that require us to develop a fundamentally new vision for living, working, and learning in the culture of the 21st century." (McCain,Jules,Crockett)

• sandrafraser (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2014 11:43am ()

I really like the idea of your PD being about 21st century learning rather than elearning.  We need to get educators understanding that 21st century learning is not just about what elearning tools are being used. It is more about changing our pedagogy to meet the changing needs of students and if that involves using a tool that is an "e" tool so be it.  I personally feel that many educators are a little afraid of letting go as they see 21st century learning as a change of control in the classroom and find it hard that they don't need to know everything.  It is okay if students know more about devices and can collaborate with others including the teacher to teach them something!

Something to think about - should we be calling the learning happening using devices elearning?  Isn't it just learning using a different tool?  When we use pencils do we call it "pencil learning"?  Similar to what others used to think about "computer pods/suites" did we ever have "pencil pods/suites'?  This is not meant to sound patronising just wanted to see what others' thoughts are.

• Carla Veldman (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2014 12:50pm ()

I agree with what you have posted Thomas.  Our school is at the initial phase of BYOD also.  For us it has been a proirty to focus on pedagogy first and foremost.  Our elearning planning framework will link in nicely to follow on now that our strong teaching pedagogy is our base.  We see technology as a tool in our teaching and learning and BYOD will allow our teaching and learning to be more: instant~anytime~relevant~connected~purposeful~flexible~collaborative~personalised.  We have an excellent network infrastructure with a managed wireless network which can take up to 300 devices on our ultra fast broadband connection.  We want to make the most of this to further enhance the excellent teaching and learning in classrooms.  We are currently developing hte BYOD policy and acceptable use poicy which will be shared with thecommunity and more specifically with the parents of those chidlren who will be in year 5 and year 6 in 2015.  We are starting our trial here and will review towards the end of next year before growiong and sustainig in classrooms throughout the school.  I have found the video clip enlightening and helpful for our next steps as there is still so much to fine tune, think about and put into place.  Like you have mentioned our PD in 2015 will also take a focus on 21st century teaching and learning skills.  Thank you for the reading suggestions.  Love the sharing that takes place in these korereo's.

• Howard Pinder (View all users posts) 21 Sep 2014 12:38pm ()

I like the previous post and can only reiterate some of the points made. Over the last few years teachers have been bombarded with new initiatives and school leaders are aware of this. I think in light of this, there is a feeling that any change has to be carefully thought out and well planned or else it will not be adopted. Not everyone will jump on board with e-learning but if teachers are shown how e-learning can have a positive impact on student achievement rather than just student engagement, then it has a much better chance of succeeding.

I do not know many principals that would claim to be the school expert on e-learning but there are plenty of staff who have expertise in this area and would be happy to be part of the e-learning leadership group and to be ‘early adopters’. I suspect that they have been doing this in their classes for a while already.

Observing best practice is vital so visiting ‘like’ schools and asking the difficult questions, such as where is your data that proves e-learning enhances student outcomes?, would be a good place to start. PLD is another important factor. To me I need to know what direction my school is heading in when a new initiative is put in place so linking e-learning in with the strategic plan and school vision is important.

The big picture stuff is important but listening to what other schools have done, the devil is in the detail.   

• Tane Bennett (View all users posts) 23 Sep 2014 8:19pm ()

Tena koe Howard. The points you raise are relevant and real to todays education system. 

Firstly and in relation to John Fishers "Peoples change curve" With change comes an interesting drop in "staff performance levels". Part of our strategic planning as future principals for intergrating e learning would be to identify and eliminate any barriers that could affect staff performance levels. 

The second point around current principals is very true as well. I believe we maybe heading into an era where principals feel they can no longer keep up with the e-learning revolution. It will then depend on the people they have employed who can manage or micro manage the e-learning developments within the school environment. This would mean staff employment considerations with those who are IT skilled.

Observing best practice is something I have come to realise that at my school we are seen as a lead school in the development and integration in e-learning. We push the boundaries on what schools can achieve with the right people and tools. Our 1:1 initiative that was highly debated on 3 news, one news and in the NZ Herald has now proven its worth. We host cluster school hui, open days and meet up with other clusters on a regular basis.

Generally the discussions with visiting schools follow the format below:

1. The pilot phase (1 class in 2012 then 2 classes in 2013) At the time the vision was to go 1:1 digital across the whole school.

2. The data gathering phase (Presenting achievement results to the BOT, making comparisons with e-learning data and non e-learning data)

3. Employing extra support phase (We have an IT specialist who works as a .5 and offers support to whole school through CRT)

4. Developing a culture phase "if I can do it, we can all do it" 

5. Planning with the BOT an action plan of funding, roll out, teacher readiness infracstructure, security, loss and damage, student home contracts etc)

He ao hurihuri tenei - It is an ever changing world 

Nga mihi

• Glenys Rogers (View all users posts) 22 Sep 2014 11:28am ()

In response to Graeme's question about valuing where staff are in their own e-learning - the planning framework allows for this.  We used it at a school level and individual level and as you would with students there is an expectation that progress will be seen.  This will be different from teacher to teacher and by using the framework they can see what the next stage is.  The challenge is to structure the PD so that there are challenges for all - UDL style.

All the usual supports must be in place for staff who find this challenging.  It has taken us over 5 years to get to the stage where when learning is discussed e-learning is part of the conversation not an extra.  

• Fiona Maw (View all users posts) 24 Sep 2014 2:30pm ()

Having just read through the pdf version of the e-Learning Planning Framework, I am very impressed with the levels of thought we would need to use when doing an audit of where we are, and then begin the process for identifying our next steps. I like the idea of using the online version for "capturing" people when they have time to do some critical reflection in this area. 

We currently have two of our ICT/e-Learning Team doing an e-Learning paper and I am wondering why we as the Managment / Leadership team have not had this tool fedback to us - as it would appear to be a very obvious first step to capturing whole staff views and beginning some shared dialogue about where we need to go. As the Head of ICT/ e-Learning is in the classroom beside me... I intend to catch her in the morning to chat this through. 

Each member of the Leadership team currently does a 3 year plan looking at what we are changing at systems/teaching/pupil level and I will be reading through our e-Learning plan to see what is currently there (and who exactly was involved in the consultation process). Our school has had a previous history of being "top down" in every curriculum area, and unless you are in a committee, you may not know what that team is planning. This is an area we try to address with Leadership meetings every term, and the expectation that plans are shared and discussed...but old habits are, as we know, hard to break!

• Alistair (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2014 10:46am ()

Hi Fiona,

I have only just become aware of this tool and like you it appears to be an obvious first step particularly at a management/leadership level but then also to then develop whole school views. Sometimes it is difficult to see the strategy behind some elearning decisions and it appears to be a "jumping on the latest bandwagon" approach rather than a systematic and informed approach. I think the forward thinking approach and plan with expected outcomes makes sense. Top down leadership does not necessarily take advantage of the skills within the staff which may not necessarily be held by senior leadership. One of the frustrations I have often had is not understanding how a particular decision has been made due to lack of involvement. I know there is a balance needed here.

• Fiona Maw (View all users posts) 08 Nov 2014 4:03pm ()

Isn't that the constant communication juggle of a big staff!!!

I have since found out that in fact... our 3 Year e-Learning Strategic Plan is in fact based on an earlier version of the e-Learning Planning Framework, which the staff undertook the year before I arrived! This was of course heartening news.

So often I have noticed that some information is shared between the managment team as well as the Leadership team (which are all subject/ project leaders) but may not be shared more fully back to everyone... as we too often depend on the Syndicate Leaders to be the "vehicle of all news", which is an unfair task unless they are privy to all the information.

An area for future improvement in our  school's Leadership Team is to better share the big picture things with everyone, rather than dumbing it down to this year's specifics only - as the more information all staff have about the "why" behind the decisions, the more likely they will be stakeholders and fully engage in the actions different leaders propose.

• Suzanne Donovan Skeens (View all users posts) 11 Nov 2014 8:46pm ()

I agree Fiona. Interesting we have just completed the Wellbeing Survey and as this was the first survey that I have been involved in from a leadeship perspective I was really surprised at how little the teaching team really know. This has certainly forced me to consider how well I actually communicate. As I lead ICT and am using the e-learning framework I really need to ensure that the consultatioin process is strong. Interesting times for me really. 

• LisaWh (View all users posts) 28 Sep 2014 9:42pm ()

As I see it, there are three aspects to integrating eLearning across the curriculum - osmosis - or simply using the devices/tools as and when appropriate to improve the engagement and achievement of learners.  Opportunities for choice and differentiation exist ; - integration - some specific teaching of eSkills so that learners can make the most of these devices with their learning and some specific reference to the teaching of these skills and use of devices into curriculum documents; - specialist subjects - the teaching of more specialist eSkills/ICT content within specialist subjects such as Computing or Digital Technologies.  Some years ago, I developed a matrix of ICT skills to be taught across the curriculum at our school from Years 7-13.  This is out of date and needs reviewing -however, before I reinvent the wheel - does an up-to-date matrix of these skills exist already somewhere? 

My inquiry is focussed on the appropriate PLD for our Year 7/8 teachers whose learners all bring their own devices to school.  I have used a small lead team of four of these teachers to plan PLD for the wider group of 14 Year 7/8 teachers.  The Year 7/8 teachers have now become "experts" and are assisting with PLD for the other teachers in the school who will have their Year 9 learners all bringing their own devices in 2015.  The Year 7/8 teachers confidence has greatly increased through teaching their colleagues.  Just like for our learners, we have needed to differentiate the PLD for the teachers and ensured that some are challenged and that others are guided along the way when lacking confidence or skill.

• Sandra Parry (View all users posts) 29 Sep 2014 3:41pm ()

I am fortunate to work in a large school where there are plenty of people who are far more tech-savvy than me. Younger teachers and those with a passion for e-learning have already picked up the ball and are running with it and without needing to be told from SLT. I know I have to get on board as I hear stories from the students as to what a difference it is making in their learning ( as well as the frustrations they have with our wifi network). With a staff so large, there is no way that any single PD or strategy will be a "one size fits all" so we have run a number of "taster sessions" and PD smorgasboards where teachers can choose what interests them and then go and learn "on the job" from a fellow teacher in school. This has been really successful and manages to meet every teachers' need as well as get them interested in furthering their own practice.

Our biggest struggle now is how we make our SMS actually work for us and not hinder our progress and cause our staff lots of stress due to its failings!

• steve (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2014 4:20pm ()

Hi Sandra,

Like you, I work in a large school and can reassure you that you are on the right track and tell you about an issue that we had by 'allowing the staff to run with it'

We had one or two staff that were chomping at the bit to get going and to bring in new ideas to enhance learing and engagement. But this soon lead to an undermining of those that were resonsible for this in their portfolios as change did not happen quick enough and the infrastructure was not available due to the usual budget and time constraints around assest spending etc. This also created a divided approach to elearning tools, a poliferation of many many differnt tools and platforms such as schoology and edmundo which eventually lead departments doing their own thing with little or no coordination and control. 

The SMT eventually was forced to review this as it meant that resources were spread too thinly and it had no control over what was happening and of the schools online image / digital footprint.

Now we have a shared vision and  clear protocols. We adopted one platform school wide that all departments use and vastly reduced the confusion amongst our learning comunity and costs of various licences etc. Pd was also made easier to manage as all could be trained in these areas, by creating department experts who lead the learning and advised via PLD's which intern helped distributed leadership and allowed staff to grow and contribute positively.

Another advantage of centralising this was that of protecting the good image of the school and cyber bullying. When we were at the 'free running stage' there little quality control of what was being uploaded and more importantly what the students were doing & saying . For example, where students can interact with each other on teaching platforms such as schoology, there is an increased opportunity for some students to initiate antisocial behaviour towards staff and other students if this is not monitored professionally. 

Hope this is of use.

• Karen E (View all users posts) 30 Sep 2014 2:02pm ()

As others have said the framework allows for differentiated learning and this revised version is an improvement on the former.  If the Principal is not capable to lead the learning then they need to find someone on staff who can, however the Principal needs to participate in this valuable learning too, demonstrating that they too are learners and modelling the expectation.  In our school the facilitator is passionate but probably knows as much as the lead teacher.  Each member of staff is undertaking teaching as inquiry to move through the framework with PLD sessions taken by the lead teacher and the facilitator.  Progress varies but there is progress.  How does one ensure sustainability so that progress does not regress or at the least is stilted?  Sigmoid's curve (developed by Charles Handy) indicates when we should instigate action to continue with progress made. 

• Jared Stein (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2014 9:42am ()

As more schools are starting to dip their toes into the vast ocean that is ´ICT’ more and more leaders I believe are becoming like the proverbial sardine…always wanting to be part of the pack, knowing that their survival depends on them “keeping up” and to keep up they need to be one to one digital schools or the like. However while one-to-one computing might work as a marketing ploy designed to convince schools to buy as many computers as possible, it is a simplistic and short- sighted phrase that suggests if every student had a device and if every teacher were trained to use these devices, then student learning would rise automatically. There is this widespread belief that ICTs can and will empower students and teachers, transforming the teaching and learning process from being highly teacher dominated to student centred however from all the reading that I have done there has not been one piece of research that categorically states this and no unequivocal  and compelling data that supports this belief either. (I can produce paper after paper that states this). Sure there have been successes here and there just as much as there have been failures. As we as leaders look at our options we need to keep in mind that our students won’t be in a relationship with a device, rather they are beginning a relationship with the world through their device. One – to – world is a better turn of phrase in my opinion when considering the content of the container because adding a digital device to the classroom without a fundamental change in the culture of teaching and learning will not lead to significant improvement. Clear goals across the curriculum must be articulated at the outset. Technology should not be seen as another initiative, but as integral to curriculum.

• Jared Stein (View all users posts) 03 Oct 2014 12:30pm ()

As a school leader I am far from being anti ICT, as pleasant fate would have it I’m leading our schools journey into the world of digital technologies and finding our place within it. What I mean to convey is that through research I’m finding two patterns emerging (and ones I wish to avoid) and these answer in part “What is necessary for the successful application and dissemination of the eLPF?

• Firstly we cannot enter this process with preconceived ideas. If a desire for a particular device is the start point for buying decisions, then it is all too easy to lose sight of those who matter most – the end users. In schools, that means students and staff, and their school experience is centred on learning.  As we move to a greater proliferation of devices, combined with the fact that we will be accessing more content from multiple places, a greater value will be placed on the content, and how that content is used, rather than on any one particular device.

• And secondly the school community has to understand what it is exactly that you’re trying to achieve and the process that you’re taking. There exists among some in most communities a well-intended but perhaps blurred vision of what new and cutting edge technologies in schools actually achieves. Many see the purchasing of hardware as the single step answer to greater achievement for their children and they need to be re-educated about this misperception. They need to understand that “Technology should never be thrown at organisations as a “quick fix” or a one-size-fits-all solution, least of all in schools.” This aspect is about communication and building good relationships with parents and caregivers who have the unique knowledge of their children and countless opportunities to advance their children’s learning.
  • Sarah Kirk (View all users posts) 08 Oct 2014 2:34pm ()

Kia ora Jared,

When I think about 'why technology' and 'what i am hoping to achieve' one of the key things I like to think about is how we can use technology to ensure access to the curriculum for students and gives individuals equal opportunities (not equal ways) of learning.  If straight substitution is used or technology applied in a one size fits all approach little will change.   Same access does not equate to equal access...the challenge for us as educators is to use technology in a way to assess the actual learning of an individual student and to develop next learning steps, in conjunction with the student. 

You raise the idea of parents, and i agree it is crucial schools have parental support.  This does depend on schools acting as a learning community - frequently parents may be eager to gain greater and deeper understanding of what we are doing and why. As leaders we have a responsbility to be educating parents about these issues as well as new approaches to meeting student needs.

• Carmen Kenton (View all users posts) 18 Oct 2014 2:54pm ()

I think you are bang on the target Sarah.  elearning is not about replacing traditional methods of learning with a device such as typing a report rather than hand writing it, but it is using online situations to enhance the learning with a strategy that could not be done in any other way with traditional learning methods. Such as connecting with a parent at work by Skype for 5 min to ask qusections of them because they have expertise in a learning area.  This way we are teaching our studnets to utilise the real benefits of elearning. 

Having the whole school community informed of the plan is critical, and the bigger the school, the harder this part is.

• Tony Pekepo (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2014 7:30pm ()

Hi all,

Great article in New York times re technology in schools. Very thought provoking! Read here

• Roger Sommerville (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2014 8:24pm ()

That's interesting Tony - I have sent the link to my daughter who has a son at a Montessori elementary school in Toronto - his school does not engage the students with computers either.

I wonder though - perhaps the most powerful ways to organise and inspire learning is to make blended approaches the focus of all school strategies - forcing the issues about oral language and person to person relationships and then extending these growing relationships with constructive IT relationships - not unlike the shared journals in NAPP.

Thanks again for the link.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Leadership

e-Learning: Leadership

Exploring leadership for change, vision, policy and strategy that integrates ICTs into learning.