Search

NZ e-Learning pedagogy: What does a New Zealand teacher in 2014 and beyond look like?

• Public
Started by Nathaniel Louwrens 08 Sep 2014 10:50am () Replies (5)

This is the second in a series of 3 discussions focusing on a New Zealand e-Learning pedagogy.

1. What does a New Zealand student in 2014 look like? (please continue to contribute to this discussion)

2. What does a New Zealand teacher in 2014 and beyond need to look like?

3. Can we develop an e-Learning pedagogy or a list of teaching practices that are specific to teaching in New Zealand’s multi-cultural, ever-changing society in 2014 and beyond?

This second discussion is focused on the teacher.

Our first discussion asked What does a New Zealand student in 2014 look like?

From this discussion we could see that one size does not fit all:

• We have a very diverse, multi-cultural society. Janet McQueen highlighted that “One in every four New Zealanders (25.2 per cent) on Census day was born overseas.” This brings about challenges including a growing number of students who do not speak English.

• Children develop and learn at different rates. MeganCroll1 suggested that the parent-child relationship may have an impact on self-direction in learning.

• LEAST highlight that students can appoint champions amongst themselves to which they can go and get help.

Knowing what a New Zealand student in 2014 looks like, but does a New Zealand teacher in 2014 and beyond need to look like?

• What do they need to be able to do?

• What skills do they need?

• What would make them successful as a teacher?

Here are a couple of videos to help your thinking.

A fun one:

And a slightly more serious one:

There are also a range of resources about pedagogy and future-focused learning available on the Enabling e-Learning website.

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Jul 2015 11:12am ()

Just read another one of Steve Wheeler's blog posts today. He always writes about effective learning pedagogies in a digital age with such clarity. In his post on True Pedagogy he challenges us to think about pedagogy as something beyond 'teaching or delivering the curriculum. He goes on to say teaching is one key aspect but, "Pedagogy focuses on the learner and what they are capable of achieving."

What does this mean for 21st Century teachers?

"Pedagogy, when practised appropriately, is about creating environments in which students can learn for themselves, and pursue their curiosity. Pedagogy is about ensuring that students are motivated to succeed in their learning, and it is about providing them with the best possible tools, resources and contexts in which this can be realised."

and

"Inspirational teachers are catalysts for lifelong learning, but they cannot do the learning for their students." "As teachers, we need to appreciate the diversity of learning opportunities that now afford themselves, and adapt our practices accordingly. That will mean standing back and letting students discover for themselves, monitoring their progress, and intervening when necessary.

Steve also talks about the power and potential of digital technologies to help make learning opportunities authentic, real and personalised.

So what does this mean for us? If we walked into a classroom...

• Where would the teacher physically be?

• What kind of conversations would take place between learners and the teacher?

• What kind of activities would we observe that would encourage diverse learning?

• What role would technologies and digital resources play?

• Is this your classroom?

Related posts from Steve Wheeler:

Flipping the teacher and Power Sharing 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Sep 2014 11:09am ()

Loving this Twitter image from . 

Expert teachers demonstrate the following five dimensions of teaching (John Hattie) http://www.eosdn.on.ca/docs/In%20Conv

• Janet McQueen (View all users posts) 09 Sep 2014 3:32pm ()

Agree with everything Rebecca has said. There are so many skills a good teacher requires. I think top of my list is that they need to develop quality relationships with each child and connect with their families. They adopt an inquiry approach into their teaching as 'the how' is always changing and we need to continue to grow but emsure that what we are doing is effective. Someone who knows how to motivate every student.  A teacher who is digitally confident and willing to try new things. 

I would like all teachers to know how to support English  language learning whilst differentiaing lessons and scaffolding students to success. With the increasing use of technology this is becoming easier and many lessons are almost individualised. 

Good teachers have positve student relationships, are motivational, are focused on learning for all students, set high expectations, monitor student progress and adjust their teaching as required, get real positive shifts in student achievement. They continue to grow professionally, are connected to other teachers from around the world, innovate with purpose and are not content to remain static in their teaching. They strive to do better but still know how to laugh and enjoy the moment. However this is really only scratching the surface. 

• Rebecca (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2014 2:01pm ()

Gosh, this is a hard one.  Sometimes it feels like we need to be superwoman or superman! 

I think what makes a successful teacher hasn't change fundametally.  We still need to be passionate about what we do, be caring, nurturing and reflective but the skills that we need now have changed.  A teacher definitely needs to be digitally literate and has to keep up with whats happening out there.  There's so many new programmes popping up all the time and things move quickly so you need to keep in touch and keep up with the kids themselves.   

I like to try new things in my classroom and am constantly trying new ways of keeping my students engaged and motivated.  They love anything digital but I think you need to have a balance.  There was an interesting article in Saturdays paper about oral language skills and how children are coming to school lacking due to over use of ipads, i phones etc so there definitely needs to be balance so children don't miss out on these vital skills.

If we are passionate about how the world is moving then I think it's easy to pass this on to students.  Leading the way and giving them the skills they need to achieve is what I really want to be able to do so in order to do this I know that I need to be one step ahead! 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.