Search

Daily Notices

• Public
Started by Kirsty 03 Sep 2014 9:57pm () Replies (26)

Hi all, 

I am looking into Google Apps for Education for my school and was wondering if there is a way to use it for daily notices?  Staff I know at other schools using google are still accessing their daily notices via the intranet.  Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Kirsty 

Replies

• Brendon Anderson (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2014 10:05pm ()

Hi Kirsty

We dont use it that way but your post has got me thinking why we couldnt!

I guess you could possibly set up a shared doc that all staff have access to and check everyday. The other way would be to use google sites and set up an actual web page with the notices on. The sites page could then be shared amongst staff. Just a few ideas but a good question.

Brendon

• Robyn Wood (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2014 10:15pm ()

Hi Kirsty

We have been using it as part of our daily notices for a good year or more.  We have it set up in the simplest way possible  i.e. as a google doc shared amongst all the staff.  We also run our 'weeknotes' which is our business staff meeting using a similar system.  

Robyn 

• Peter Corlett (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2014 10:18pm ()

Yep We do at Waikanae School on the Kapiti Coast.  We got rid of the paper based one circulated through the classes.  We just have it as a doc and each day we add to it at the top, and so it is a long document as we have had it all year - makes it easy to search back on missed notices.

• Vanessa Cannon (View all users posts) 03 Sep 2014 10:19pm ()

Hi there,

We have been using Google Docs in a Shared folder for our staff notices for about a year now and it works well. This term we started using it for our student notices also, with the classes having access from both laptops and iPads.

The only problem we have met so far was when a folder of admin meeting notes (created by a teacher) was accidently deleted by another and it hasn't yet been traced. Much easier to have central ownership of the folders so files can be traced. 

Vanessa

• Mark Edwards (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 7:41am ()

Hi All,

We use a shared Google Doc for Staff relief and use Kamar for the Daily Notices and use a google script to pull the notices from Kamar and Insert them into the Doc everyday. I can share the document for anyone that is interested in using it.

Mark

• Dominic Tester (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 7:54am ()

Hi Mark - would be really interested in looking at the script you have to achieve this.

Dom

• Richard Rowley (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 8:53am ()

Hi Mark,

I would be very interested in your script to pull the notices from Kamar.

r.rowley@rosehillcollege.school.nz

Thanks

• Carol Johnston (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 10:03am ()

I'd be interested to see this too Mark please.
    Thanks!

caroltyne@gmail.com

Carol 

• Grant Collie (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2014 2:53pm ()

Hi Mark,

Just been discussing this very same option! Could you please share the script with me.

collieg@rangitikeicollege.school.nz

oops, just saw your link - will give it a whirl...

• anne robertson (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 7:45am ()

Hi there

I am reading this thread with interest as we still have paper based daily notices. A single google doc seems like a simple idea.  I too had thought about using a google site . A question though, at the moment we have to email our notices through to a member of the admin staff who then collates all the messages and puts them in a Word doc which is then printed out and also uploaded to our intranet.  If you use a google doc do you allow all teachers editing rights so they can add their own notices?  This would seem to cut out several unnecessary steps but does mean that someone could inadvertently delete someone's else's notice.  

Just a quick question too - how do schools set up their shared folders for staff?  Do you have someone with a separate admin account so that it would just be transferred to another staff member of the original person left?  

• Jess Ward (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 9:28am ()

Hi Anne

We have set up one google docs daily message page for each term.  All staff are invited into the document to add and edit messages, but all messages must be entered before 9am as they are read out to students at roll time.  Having the messages for the whole term on one document means teachers can easily scroll down and check up on past messages, but they can also add things ahead of time. We also use the document to record which relievers are in the school each day.

• Lisa Ferris (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 7:59am ()

Hi Kirsty

We use GAFE calendar.  We have both staff notices and school notices.  It's so easy to use, notices and bookings can be made in advance.

• Ali Stewart (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 8:37am ()

We put our daily notices on our google calendar.  They are added at the top as whole day events.  Our notices need to be up before 8.30am for the current day.

It is working really well that way.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 8:55am ()

A school I was in yesterday was using a Google site with tabs for each day of the week.

They were discussing whether it might be an idea for the office manager to re-assign the landing page each day so the tab (page) of the day of the week was the first place people saw as they entered the site. 

The Google site had the calendar and other things embedded for easy reference as well.

Worked really well for a large chool with lots of different sport and syndicate notices to share.

• Johan Schnetler (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 9:26am ()

HI Mark

I would like to look at the script as well.

j.schnetler@mahurangi.school.nz

Join this group to contribute to discussions.