Search

3D Printer

• Public
Started by Ali Stewart 28 Aug 2014 8:53am () Replies (3)

Our school has just been given a 3D printer.  Any suggestions on where to start with this amazing technology?  We are a Year 0 - 6 school.  Thanks.

Replies

• KseniaNZ (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2014 7:50pm ()

My husband works with this technology. If you would like to have a chat to him you can message me and I will pass on his details.

He's brought in his printers into my school to show the kids. Great learning everything from design, 3D shapes, technology processes etc. 

• Ben Britton (View all users posts) 29 Aug 2014 1:19pm ()

Hi Ali

I've been usign 3D printers in school for a few years now and I'm doing an efellowship talking to schools about how they are using them. I haven't talked to any 0-6 schools with printers but I am sure there is a lot that you will be able to do.

A great place to start is to just print some pre-designed models (www.thingiverse.com is a good site, all free). This will get you and the kids thinking about what could be possible. Then start the kids designing. The easiest tools I have found are TinkerCAD and SketchUp. My 4 year old can do basic things in SketchUp. I have also heard a lot of really good things about 123D Design.

A really great way to use the printers in a class is to make them part of a design project. An intermediate I talked to got the older students to design toys for the younger ones. They went through the whole process of talking to the kids, planning, designing and printing the product.

If you'd like to have a chat message me and I'll get in touch.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.