Search

NZ e-Learning pedagogy: What does a New Zealand student in 2014 look like?

• Public
Started by Nathaniel Louwrens 27 Aug 2014 1:37pm () Replies (7)

There have been some conversations in Enabling e-Learning recently that have brought up the topic of teaching practices and what is required in the 21st century. There are, understandably a range of opinions on this.

Over the next few weeks it might be interesting to have a discussion focusing on a New Zealand e-Learning pedagogy. These will focus on:

1. What does a New Zealand student in 2014 look like?

2. What does a New Zealand teacher in 2014 and beyond need to look like?

3. Can we develop an e-Learning pedagogy or a list of teaching practices that are specific to teaching in New Zealand’s multi-cultural, ever-changing society in 2014 and beyond?

In this first discussion the focus is on the student.

Many of us know what the research/experts say, so… From your own observations:

• What does a New Zealand student in 2014 look like?

• What do they want from school?

• What do they actually need from school?

If you can, include examples/stories from your experiences.

Here’s a short video clip to start your thinking:

• Are New Zealand students the same? Different? In what ways?

There are also a range of resources about pedagogy and future-focused learning available on the Enabling e-Learning website.

Replies

• Rebecca (View all users posts) 08 Sep 2014 12:32pm ()

Hi,

This is a really interesting and thought provoking discussion.  

I think the demands on children are so much greater now than when we were at school.  They need to be so much more savvy and aware of what's happening around them.  I'm not saying that we weren't when we were young but they have so much more access to information which is fantastic but also a bit scary.  I'm finding that children in general are much more grown up and aware of themselves and what they need to achieve to get where they want to be.  So many children are coming to school digitally aware and much more tech literate that the teacher.  I'm passionate about digital learning and have always been interested in keeping up with things but I can see how it would be easy to be overtaken by students. 

I don't think that what children want from school has fundametally changed.  I think they want to be inspired, engaged and motivated.  They want to learn new things, to be challenged and to do things differently.  Where as we were happy to sit at school and have information given to us and copy that down, learn by rote, children now don't want this and won't accept this at school.  They like working with each other and finding things out for themselves.   I think this is also what we need to be doing as responsive teachers.  We need to be giving children the skills to think for themselves and be active learners who take responsibility for their own learning.  

It's a lot for us to get our heads around as teachers and I think very exciting.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.