Search

Chromebooks and Management of devices

Started by Robyn Wood 27 Aug 2014 11:16am () Replies (8)

Hi

We are looking to purchase some Chromebooks and have a question.  Is it worth purchasing the Google Apps Management Console Management?  If so what are the benefits?  Thanks heaps Smile

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2014 3:06pm ()

Hi Robyn,

We have about 200 devices in a 1:1 from year 5-8.  Half are generation 3 samsung chromebooks.  I have looked at the consol, but we didn't end up going with it.  

It also depends if you have a variety of needs.  For a primary school with only 4 years difference we wouldn't have a lot of use for it.  We use doc's, extentions that are used across the whole year levels, and apps again are very similar, and students have the choice what they want to use.      I could see it being bennificial at high school, or perhaps vastly differing needs across groups. 

Perhaps if we had more...   Like 250-300 units, but then again.. $50 NZD (inc GST) per unit, would be another $13,000, this a one off cost... but still.  ouch!  Hope that helps a little Robyn.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2014 4:42pm ()

Rob,

Does your school own these devices, or are the BYOD?

Our school doesnt own any chromebooks, they are purchased though a trust that has been setup, and are owned by the students.  In saying that, I am able to monitor everything 

We use Hapara, (Teacher Dashboard) and through this organise classes, groups, shared folders (who has access and at what level)  This also links to our server through 'active directory' as well as our watchguard filter system.  (not currently working with N4L) We are also able to see student screens inr real time.

Hapara works out at $3 per student for us.  Which is a cheaper option.   

Join this group to contribute to discussions.