Search

Learner = Driver & Digital Technologies = Vehicle

• Public
Started by Hamish McLean 26 Aug 2014 7:23pm () Replies (18)

In the "Digital Literacy Progressions" thread we got off topic, but had some good discussions.  So created this topic to let us discuss how to enable eLearning pedagogy in schools to, how to move forward dropping off irrelevant education content....  Digital Educational Philosophy...

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2014 8:34pm ()

Question:

Do... will parents truly realise what is at stake?  When will parents truly embrase 'Modern teaching and Learning'?    Because only then will politicians begin to respond.  Only then will there be a commitment to education.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2014 9:27pm ()

Great post Abbie!  

For the majority, its what I hear my children say they are doing at school, that informes me of what is happening at the school, and what its like.  We can't change what parents think or how they perceve education with a pill.  We have to do it one parent at a time.  We have to use social media, vlogging, posting pictures and comments about what 'their' child is up to at school.  

But first.. we start with us as the learner and teacher.  We have to develop our 'agency' and ensure we constantly reflect on it and push ourselves and our coworkers..  

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2014 9:01am ()

Hi Maria,

Do you think your daughters perspective is because her primary education was 'traditional'?  (15 years ago now)

My wife 36 years old (even dispite all my ranting) still doesnt want our children to use digital devices at school to much.  When I talk about their future, she then says... "oh yeah I guess.  Thats probably what they will be doing eh".

I presented to a group of parents and teachers last year, and part of my talk I mention these quotes

• From a principal’s pub­li­ca­tion in 1815: “Stu­dents today depend on paper too much.  They don’t know how to write on a slate with­out get­ting chalk dust all over them­selves.  They can’t clean a slate prop­erly. What will they do when they run out of paper?”
    • From the jour­nal of the National Asso­ci­a­tion of Teach­ers, 1907: “Stu­dents today depend too much upon ink.  They don’t know how to use a pen knife to sharpen a pen­cil.  Pen and ink will never replace the pencil.”
    • From Rural Amer­i­can Teacher, 1928: “Stu­dents today depend upon store bought ink.  They don’t know how to make their own.  When they run out of ink they will be unable to write words or ciphers until their next trip to the set­tle­ment.  This is a sad com­men­tary on mod­ern education.”
    • From Fed­eral Teach­ers, 1950: “Ball­point pens will be the ruin of edu­ca­tion in our coun­try.  Stu­dents use these devices and then throw them away.  The Amer­i­can val­ues of thrift and fru­gal­ity are being dis­carded.  Busi­nesses and banks will never allow such expen­sive luxuries.”
    • From a sci­ence fair judge in Apple Class­room of Tomor­row chron­i­cles, 1988: “Com­put­ers give stu­dents an unfair advan­tage.  There­fore, stu­dents who used com­put­ers to ana­lyze data or cre­ate dis­plays will be elim­i­nated from the sci­ence fair.”
     Be interesting to see what educational professionals will say about our comments here... Surprised

I saw this last year, and have been following IBM's supercomputer.  Might want to check out what is happening now, and what will be happening in 3,5 10 years time.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 27 Aug 2014 4:42pm ()

Hi Nathaniel, Maria, and welcome Chris.  Good to see you here.  I'm hoping this is a thread where we can post any questions or comments we have about eLearning pedagogy.  

I'm lucky to be part of a school that 'actions' new initiatives, and trys new ideas regularly.  Our view that we want students to make mistakes in order to learn about themselves, so we should do the same.  If it doesnt work, then hey... we tried... lets try something else now.   We also have our PDL sessions in a classroom during school time so students can see it happening.  So they know we are learners too.  

What things are you doing?  Thanks.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2014 7:36pm ()

Thanks Chris.  

I read those articles, and perhaps my perspective is too rose coloured?  

The articles use works like 'studies show' and now 'studies prove'  which doesnt really mean a lot.  Also I saw an arguement for using pen and paper to 'write down physical goals' is 33% more effecitve to achieve those goals.  Because printing out the goal is still having a 'physical goal' so is the same thing.  

Also of note is using a pen to form letters, adds greater connections for letter and word formation over typing.  But it doesnt discuss using a digital device to form a letter or words with your finger as many junior apps do.

I'm not trying to pick the studies apart... perhaps I am?  haha...   

I do agree that mistakes will be made, and thats just a fantastic part of the learning process   Sealed

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 28 Aug 2014 7:41pm ()

Ok.... Question 2:

What kind of curriculum is going to be best suited to developing the minds and identities of our young people, so that they will be able to prosper in the 'real' world?  (Got the idea off Guy Claxton)

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 01 Sep 2014 1:28pm ()

Yeah... the more you get to know me, the more you'll come to expect sturring!  : )

We started our student week of 'no formaised lessons' but the students and teachers are offering workshops in areas that students have requested.  i.e. groups identified the following areas they want support with:

Made award videos, speeches, communication, coding, milestones (student focused areas).  Here is a snip from the timetable

Screen Shot 2014-09-01 at 1.25.06 pm.png

Join this group to contribute to discussions.