Search

Learner = Driver & Digital Technologies = Vehicle

• Public
Started by Hamish McLean 26 Aug 2014 7:23pm () Replies (18)

In the "Digital Literacy Progressions" thread we got off topic, but had some good discussions.  So created this topic to let us discuss how to enable eLearning pedagogy in schools to, how to move forward dropping off irrelevant education content....  Digital Educational Philosophy...

Replies

• Abbie (View all users posts) 26 Aug 2014 9:19pm ()

Over the past year I have begun hearing: "I know things are different from how we learnt them." I was excited because I only rarely heard that from parents.The biggest context this is understood in is that maths is taught differently and that there are lots of digital tech.

I think that as parents begin to see the results, including student engagement particularly, that things will slowly begin to change. It also comes back to our professional understanding of the pedagogy behind what we do and why we are making those choices. Can we actually translate that into parent friendly talk? 

Even more so, I often consider the following: you know these things Abbie. You have the pedagogical understanding and curriculum knowledge to implement your practice to th R in the SAMR model (although you only ever have to the M at a stretch). Do you practice what you know? Are you practicing this to your best ability? Is this causing change in the classroom? 

Are you just using a traditional approach with shiny toys? Is it the best time to use those shiny toys (I mean learning devices), or is it better to get out a glue, paper, scissors and a pen?  How is your practice altered and how is this impacting student learning?

Do your parents understand what you are doing? Are the kids going home and saying: "I played on the iPad all day" (NOT true) or "I learnt my basic facts on the iPad today! I made a pic collage about the lunar cycle! I worked out a problem with my friend?"

Parents will always be parents. Upon reflection I wonder what is my hidden curriculum (haven't used that term for years) teaching the students about what learning is and how it is done? Because the messages they take home are going to play a significant part in how the parents view education. 

At the end of the day I can't force a parent to 'get' modern teaching and learning, no matter what I call it. What I can do is ensure my practice is sound and that I can explain what I am doing, why, and what the results are to whoever asks: politician, colleague, parent or student. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.