Search

Giving feedback online

• Public
Started by Amanda Ferguson 25 Aug 2014 5:15pm () Replies (3)

Can anybody give me advice on giving feedback to my class digitally. I have used track changes and comments in google docs, but this seems to take ages and I end up doing half the changes for them.

Any suggestions on revisiting work would be great

Replies

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2014 5:56pm ()

Have you thought of giving voice feedback using Kaizena for google drive?  

• Kelly Faulkner (View all users posts) 25 Aug 2014 6:11pm ()

hi amanda. i give fb on docs frequently to my year 13s. i'm a fast typist, so i like doing it this way, but also they get a lot more fb from me than if i was sitting on a pile of 28 papers. with docs, i can do them as they come in, rather than collect that daunting stack! some students need more fb than others, as you'll see from my samples.

i've collected some screenshots for you from a student that required quite a bit during an explication process (and who was falling down on the job badly, and you'll see my frustration, as he's an excellence-level student) - first 3 shots, and another one that's doing a good job (final photo) and only required a normal range of comments.  (edited: removed public post to private link) https://plus.google.com/photos/109775332677855506641/albums/6051379197461512241

i do have to balance how much time i spend on this, because i could spend ages! i can do a lot of this during class time when they're working (they like this because they activate the chat if they have a Q), and i do some at home when they're shared with me during that time and if i'm not busy with home stuff. i personally like getting two or so a night - i can sit back and relax about it because i'm only doing a couple. i generally read each essay/project 2x for fb: once for development of ideas, once for the quality of the writing prior to handing in a final piece. i focus just on those things in that session, so one set of fb will ONLY talk about the concepts they're developing - how they're going, what they should focus on, an example that's good. that's the quicker one to do, because it's mostly an overall comment, or at the end of paragraphs.

in the writing fb, i focus solely on the structure and grammatical issues. i will highlight their overall issues in blue, then comment in red - but i do NOT fix their errors (no matter how tempting!); i only provide a comment on what the error is ("you are not punctuating dependent clauses correctly") and how to fix it (i usually refer them to my online document "common editing symbols [and how to fix your mistakes]") unless it's something that's unusual, and then i'll give an example. i leave one overall comment at the end on where they should focus their energies.

i hope this is of some help for you!

Join this group to contribute to discussions.