Search

Flash

• Public
Started by Roomone Ladysnows 02 Aug 2014 6:21am () Replies (9)

Hi, I am quite new to iPads in the classroom but am ticking along driving my own pd in this area. My question is what is everyone else doing about flash. As I understand it, iPads don't support flash so therefore my kids can't access cool stuff on study ladder etc that require flash player. We only have 2 desktop macs which is great and many kids have their own ipad and we have 8 iPads in the class anyway. Do I just need to suck this up so to speak or am I missing something when I comes to flash. I am thinking that  we just can't use activiities that require flash and I am annoyed about it. Please let me know if this is the case. Thank you.

Replies

• Lisette Whitmore (View all users posts) 04 Aug 2014 4:18pm ()

Studyladder is moving to a lot of i-Padfriendly activities...so yes you will have to suck it up. Last year we went in through Puffin and it worked...don't know if that works this year though.

• Stuart Hale (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2014 1:34pm ()

Hi I would like to build on what Allanah has stated. . .

Flash was never designed for Tablets (Most Tablets do not run Flash) Adobe who makes Flash will not support it on Tablets!

Flash is a bit like the Dinosaur just prior to extinction - it will not be around for much longer. By the end of next year up to 80% of Web bowsing will be from a Tablet (iPad) and if you want your web site to be around you are now in the process of converting across from Flash to the alternatives (HTML5) that is iPad (Tablet) compatible

So would not spend too much time finding a solution for a temporary problem! - that will be fixed by most web sites themselves.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2014 12:25pm ()

Hi there

Welcome to the iPad group.

Try not to think of an iPad as a laptop without a keyboard. An iPad is built differently right from the ground up so it cannot do some things that you are used to doing on a laptop. One of those things is Flash.

If a website uses Flash then it is best to just find something else that does the thing that you want to do but on an iPad.

I have put together this website with some explanations and starter apps and activities that may help you do the things you want to do but on an iPad

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/

• marglnz (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2014 8:23am ()

The age restriction or high ranking has been discussed . The students are ONLY allowed to access Sunshine on Line and Study Ladder . For any research they use SAfari so it is a decision to make in your school based on what you are delivering. 

• Helen King (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2014 7:31am ()

Please, don't use Puffin. It is R18 for a reason. 

There are many more amazing things an iPad can do. Look into the creative apps mentioned on here. 

• Peter Mancer (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2014 7:04am ()

Puffin is very effective but it has one drawback that you need to be aware of.  It uses an encrypted proxy server in the cloud so will bypass most web filtering technologies that schools have in place so that students will be able to access any website that they want.  The only way to manage this is to use an on-site application-aware firewall solution at your school that can recognise this programme and even then it can only block it or allow it depending on your choice.  I suggest that you check with your IT provider if this is of concern to you.

• marglnz (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2014 6:46am ()

Download Puffin Free. It is a web browser like Safari and let's you access more flash style ( but not all ) programmes.  we run study ladder and Sunshine on line efficiently through this , whereas they were hit and miss through safari. 

• marglnz (View all users posts) 02 Aug 2014 6:46am ()

Download Puffin Free. It is a web browser like Safari and let's you access more flash style ( but not all ) programmes.  we run study ladder and Sunshine on line efficiently through this , whereas they were hit and miss through safari. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.