Search

Digital Citizenship & Literacy

• Public
Started by Johan Schnetler 29 Jul 2014 9:12am () Replies (4)

Hi guys

I am the eLearning facilitator at our school. Our school runs from Y7-13. BYOD at our school is currently on a voluntary basis and we are moving into a highly recommended phase in Y7 & 9 at the start of 2015.

I had a look at the common-sense website and I am very interested to find out how other schools are handling digital citizenship & literacy.

This common-sense website has a lot of good content that can be used. My issue is that I am not sure how to timetable all if it into our, already full, timetable.

Myself and one more teacher is currently delivering the Y7&8 content during our Digital Technologies classes (4 - 1 hour periods - over a 10 day period)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Johan

Replies

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 29 Jul 2014 9:29am ()

Hi Johan

I'm sure this is a challenge that many have faced as there is so much out there on digital citizenship and I think every school is likely to be different in this area.

For me, I would start by looking at the school community to consider what are the most important things that need to be covered. I would particularly be interested in what the students think as often they seem to know about things that us adults don't (even those of us that are somewhat immersed in it all of the time).

I personally think that digital citizenship should be integrated into/across all areas. It's not only a BYOD concern as our students are using devices outside of school. While you might decide to have a concentrated period focusing on it, it needs to be continually considered.

You might like to check out the Digital Citizenship group as a lot of discussions have already taken place here.

Looking forward to seeing what others say about this.

Cheers
    Nathaniel 

• Johan Schnetler (View all users posts) 29 Jul 2014 9:37am ()

Thanks for that Nathaniel

I am thinking of putting a survey out there for all staff & some students to answer. In this way I could gain insight into which of these issues/areas are already integrated into areas like Health.

Feel free to tell me what you think.

• Karen Corbin (View all users posts) 29 Jul 2014 11:55am ()

Hi Johan

I am the ICT Coordinator at James Hargest College in Invercargill, year 7 to 13. We are developing a DC programme after many years talking about it! I'm on the PPTA ICT Advisory group which has developed a summary of websites that could be useful. This will be available through the PPTA website soon.

Cheers

Karen Corbin

Join this group to contribute to discussions.