Search

Flipped Classroom for Younger Students

• Public
Started by MrsB30 20 Jul 2014 9:13pm () Replies (3)

I am considering trying a sort of 'flipped' classroom style for my numeracy teaching this term. I cross group with another teacher in my team (We both teach Year 2/3) and I take the Stage 5 and 6 kids. I have in mind running strategy workshops throughout maths time that the students would opt in to. I also envisaged having some lessons on iPads (made on Educreations or similar) as well as other activities on computers and hands on. I am wanting the students to identify on a knowledge assessment what knowledge they need to work on as well as choosing strategies to work on. Has anyone tried anything similar? In particular for younger students? Your thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!

Replies

• Oscarsranch (View all users posts) 09 Aug 2014 6:50pm ()

Absolutely we also use trackers with the children to show where to next.  They are also used for teaching and assessment for teachers.  Working really well.  Due to get our more able to make choices about joining in workshops as we have just started teaching as a power of three.  Need to work on using more devices, will happen once we are in a renovated block so we can share the devices, look forward to hearing about it.

• Verna Cameron (View all users posts) 11 Aug 2014 9:38am ()

Not quite at that stage yet but I am team teaching with another teacher and we have Yr 3-5.  We have started by getting them to manage their own learning through 'Must Dos' and 'Can Dos'.  These are up in both our classes for the week and the children are responsible for completing their must dos over the week.  We have a tracking sheet that they colour in each time they complete a must do.  We still call them out for their maths teaching sessions and guided reading but otherwise they manage themselves for about half of the day.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.