Search

They're here! Kid-speaked Literacy Progressions

Started by Mary-Anne Murphy 15 Jul 2014 8:05am () Replies (48)

After much work, collaboration and moderation both the writing and reading progressions have been kid-speaked for your use. Many thanks to those people who assisted with this process! tinyurl.com/nzliteracyprogressions

Replies

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 9:46am ()

end of year 8end of year 6end of year fourafter 3 yearsafter 2 yearshexagons after one yearHexagons first year

These are the writing progressions put into hexagons to use with the students in their books.  The idea being that each child is working on 2-3 goals which have been individually identified.  Each time this is identified in the childs work, through 1-1 conferencing, a side of the hexagon is highlighted and dated.  The gap under each learning intention is to co-construct an exemplar with the child (so it is meaningful to them).  This is an example of a NE book from Jane, a fabulous Teacher at Henry Hill School, using their version of the hexagons.  These new entrants can clearly articulate what they learning, why and how they know they are getting better!!  Stunning teaching!!  She is also using examplars on the walls so the children can clearly see what comes next.IMG_0075.JPG

• Anne Kenneally  (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 3:38pm ()

Thanks so much for sharing this.  It is fabulous to see real live examples of these progressions.  What a wonderful resource! 

• Judith Smallbone (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 12:45pm ()

This is an amazing resource, thank you so much. Smile

• melanie wihongi-popham (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 2:26pm ()

Thanks so much for these.  I have requested copies for my 20 plus year 7 and 8 teachers... and received permission to submit them as resources for our school.  I hope to use them to encourage our students to become more independent in assessing their own writing.  

Again many thanks.  Melanie Wihongi-Popham Yr 7/Yr 8 teacher

• Alana Madgwick (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 2:36pm ()

Talofa Mary and team,

Thanks for these- Are there any for the end of yr 10 please? Just need to know before I promote to my secondary literacy community.

Great work.

Alana

• Juliet Dickinson (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 3:26pm ()

Hi Alana, no sorry.  Currently these are only until the end of Year 8.  If anyone is interested in working on creating some and adding it to the site it would be greatly appreciated by many I am sure.

Juliet

• Janet McCarroll (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 4:24pm ()

Hi Mary- Anne and collaborators.Well done to you all on your efforts with producing these great 'Kid Speak' Literacy Progressions. I know the HARD work, that has gone in to these! We haere at St Mary';s created our Reading and Writing Progressions a few years ago, however, we are now at the stage of needing to review them, make them 'kid friendly' and reduce the quantity!

These resources created by you and your team will be a fabulous resource. for us to examine, as we remodel our own over the next couple of terms. We would be very happy to share our re worked progressions once they are 're worked'.

Also currently attempting the same with our Maths progressions. Are you aware of a similar Maths Progressions resource out there? I would love to have a look at any created by others, as we start our journey reviewing the current St Mary's Maths Progressions.

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 30 Jul 2014 4:33pm ()

Hi Janet,

So lovely to touch-base with you again in another forum :)

Thanks for your feedback. The Team have indeed worked hard on these. :)

We would love to see how you rework them for your context.

We haven't "gone-there" with the maths progressions at this stage... maybe that's a challenge to the Maths group on the VLN ;-) In saying that, if any of you out there have kid-speaked the maths progressions, then please share in this forum.

Special thanks
    Mary-Anne

• Trina Bennett (View all users posts) 31 Jul 2014 8:35am ()

Thank you for sharing- this is an awesome resource and fits in nicely with our new school curriculum!

Ngā mihi nunui ki a koutou!Laughing

• LEAST (View all users posts) 31 Jul 2014 8:35am ()

Yes Thanks Mary Anne and the other contributors. I am already using these when conferencing writing with my year 6 - 8 class. They are excited to see what they are acopmplishing and where they can make improvements. Awesome.Laughing

• Mary-Anne Murphy (View all users posts) 31 Jul 2014 9:14pm ()

Kid-Speaking the "By the End of Year 10 Literacy Progressions"

Hi All,

We have had a couple of requests to take the kid-speaked progressions through to the End of Year 10.

We would love to have people assist with this. You will need to allocate time for about 3-4 online meetings as well as time in between meetings where you will be drafting kid-speaked progressions alongside others (approximately 10 hours total).

If you are keen to assist, please place your name and contact info in this google doc by Friday 8 August 4pm.

From there I will contact you via a doodle poll to arrange a time for our first skype meeting.

Looking forward to your responses.

Ka kite ano

Mary-Anne 

• Shane Campbell (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2014 9:59am ()

Hi everyone,

How do I upload attachments to this page?

• Jill Hammonds (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2014 11:55am ()

Hi Shane,

When you are in the comment box you will see "Embed content" just above the box on the right. Choose upload file, find it on your computer, upload and then click on the file once loaded to place it on the page. I hope this works ok for you but ask again if you have any problems. 

Cheers, Jill

• Shane Campbell (View all users posts) 08 Aug 2014 10:21am ()

Writing Literacy Progressions Yr 4 - 8.docx

Join this group to contribute to discussions.