Search

Using QR Codes to Support Accessibility

• Public
Started by Roxy Hickman 14 Jul 2014 9:29pm () Replies (3)

I can’t believe that it has taken me this long to get into QR codes! It wasn’t until one of my colleagues shared with me how she used them in a PD workshop that I really got excited about the potential of these little gems, particularly for accessibility. (Thanks Emily Kennan for sharing!)

I think the point that I was missing was that QR codes can be used for so much more than bringing up a website. Using QRstuff I can also generate plain text, a map, a link to a Dropbox item, an SMS message, an iTunes link, just to name a few.

Using QR Codes

One thing I like about QR codes is the fact that I don’t need to be accurate at typing, I don’t need a steady hand, and I don’t even need to push a button at the right time. I just need to hold my device up in the general direction of the QR Code. This in turn gives more students’ independent access to a whole range of resources.

QR Codes and speak selection

This is where my thoughts turn to how we could make QR codes work for even more students. If we were to pair a plain text QR code with some of the accessibility features on an iPad, we are now able to enlarge the print that is written on the board at the front of the classroom or on a paper handout (as the teacher would include a QR Code with the written information) or better still we could listen to it using “speak selection”.

I have heard of adding QR Codes to library books to extend the resource to multiple media types, but how else have you used QR Codes in the classroom to enhance accessibility? 

Image Source: http://www.mrswideen.com/2013/04/using-padlet-qr-codes-and-ipads-oh-my.html  

Hit Counter
Hit Counter

Replies

Join this group to contribute to discussions.