Search

Help to get started on writing using chrome books.

• Public
Started by Heather 14 Jul 2014 10:09am () Replies (5)

Kia ora koutou

I am about to embark on a chromebook pilot using writing as the main focus. As I am still coming to grips with google docs and the VLN and everything else associated with 1:1, I was hoping someone out there had some great writing resources/ ideas to get me started that I can tweak? Year 4/5, mixed ability, no specific genre or topic but dinosaurs our kaupapa for the term. Any help would be great. Thanks

Replies

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 14 Jul 2014 10:35am ()

Hi Heather

These are not specifically Chromebook related, but you might like to have a look at Engaging students in Writing from the Blended e-Learning Literacy group. You might find some useful ideas here.

-Nathaniel

• Fiona Robertson (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2014 1:28pm ()

We use the Chrmebooks a lot for our writng. We have used the prompts from the 100 word Challenge, storybird  website, children have worked collobratively on writing. My class also share their writing with each other and they comment on it which is beneifical to the children. Think about what you would normally do and instead of the children doing the work in their books it is done on their Chromebooks. 

Fiona

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2014 3:48pm ()

Hi Heather,

Try using the Add-on for Google Docs "Texthelp Highlighting Tools"

Is basically different coloured highlighters to use in a google doc, so you can do something like 'Gold for Glory' and 'Pink to think'.

Then (and this is the bit that completly extends this process from a phyiscal book) you can collect highlights which automatically creates a new doc with all the highlighted text. It goes even further in then been able to sort the highlights into colours...The possibilities are endless, but in short you can create a document with all the writers gems, and another document with all the writers 'things to work on'. With this tool, I would recommend just having 1 'writing' doc (like you would just have 1 writing book).

http://rw.texthelp.com/drive/Support/Home

We use the free version to do all of the above- the premium version has all sorts of other features, may of which would be ideal for junior writers.

Good luck :)

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 15 Aug 2014 4:20pm ()

Thanks for kicking off this conversation again, Steve

Text Highlight is my favourite Google Doc Add on.

What about using Webpage Screen shot Extension to re-write the web!

Install it- go to a news page- re-write the web. Take a screen shot!! Like in this example!!!

But I think the best use of Chromebooks for writing is to have kids write in a blog- puclish their writing, leave comments for others, gain a real audience for writing.

That's where the power of Chromebook writing would come from.

screenshot

Join this group to contribute to discussions.