Search

Portfolio Content and Format

• Public
Started by Janene Maloney 10 Jul 2014 10:21pm () Replies (19)

Hi everyone :) It would be great to hear how you are getting on with your portfolios.

How are you all planning to present your Portfolio?

What evidence are you planning on using to demonstrate your practice?

What are you working on first?

Keen to hear and share thoughts.

Kind regards, Janene

Replies

• Megan (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2014 9:53am ()

Hi Janene,

Am planning on blitzing it second week of holidays, so am not really that much further on at this stage! So far, I am thinking my evidence will include a mixture of IEP notes, short video, photos, learning data and observation (OTJ). I thought maybe to send in a folder with a Pen-drive dangling off it, but then thought why not send it all digitally - don't know if the best way to do that is via a purpose built blog - just for this - at least it makes  video footage easy to view - still thinking about things!

Thank for getting us going on this forum Janene!

cheers, Megan

• Sally Roach (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2014 12:55pm ()

Hi Megan,

Good on you! Please read ACET guide - Page 1 - "Sending in the Portfolio requirements" - are you aware it must be sent - but not by fax or email. Great day for enjoying the sun today.

Kind Regards Sally 

• Megan (View all users posts) 11 Jul 2014 4:52pm ()

Phew! Roger that - back to the folder with a dangling pen drive then!

Cheers, Megan

• Janene Maloney (View all users posts) 13 Jul 2014 10:32am ()

Hi Megan

Thanks Sally :)

Also I'm not sure if the portfolios will be photocopied for each person on the panel to view or viewed by each then passed on. Might ring TeachNZ and find out. If it's going to be photocopied for each panel member then this will also influence how we decide to present it. 

Thanks for sharing your thoughts so far Megan. You've got it all in hand :) Good luck with pulling it together next week :)

cheers, Janene

• Sally Roach (View all users posts) 13 Jul 2014 11:14am ()

Good thought  Janene! Be great to know. I was thinking- to print first page as it needs signatures and then put the rest on pen drive. Thats where this forum is great as it shows we all think differently!Smile

Also, When you tag your evidence - do you think we can abbreviate the file name? -There example is  - Evidence no.27 and then title- I would like to do - Ev.27 and then title so that the number shows up on the file name and is not lost in the length of the title. Hope that make sense and you can follow me on that. 

Then I presume we just bracket the evidence title in the text where appropriate. I know we had to get this bit exactly as asked.Undecided

Happy Portfolio-ing! 

• Gail Kelly (View all users posts) 13 Jul 2014 8:55am ()

Thanks Janene for this forum, and to others for joining. Have decided to submit a folder of paper!! May be not ideal but will include attestations from principal and colleagues and documented reflections on observations. 

Am having probs with the PDF, jumps around, dings at end of lines and no word count. Any suggestions? Have done draft of engagement section and started prof practice which is soooo hard so HELP PLEASE?

Thanks so much,

Gail

• Janene Maloney (View all users posts) 13 Jul 2014 10:14am ()

Hi Gail, you've made a good start! Good on you!

i gather you're typing in a word doc and have inserted a PDF? Try first clicking on the PDF then right click it (Or hold down CONTROL then click if you're on your MacBook). Select FORMAT PiCTURE, select LAYOUT then IN FRONT OF TEXT. You can then resize the PDF by clicking on the GUIDES on corner of the PDF or hover over it until you get the 4-arrow cursor, and click and drag it to where you want it. Hope that helps. Let me know if I haven't understood the problem you're having. 

Are you inserting PDFs and pictures into the body of your portfolio sections?   

Cheers, Janene

• Sally Roach (View all users posts) 13 Jul 2014 11:02am ()

Hi Gail

I think you have to submit main body word doc. electronically not on paper as ststed under the criteria - (If you don't have pictures and just words) - write text on a word document with word count (under tools) then copy and paste. The text moves up and down with arrow keys ( I presume this box fits the 500 words) and when you click it highlights the whole text initially....click again to edit. Click side of page and it will jump to fit. Maybe that helps

• cath (View all users posts) 13 Jul 2014 3:55pm ()

JUst reread your discussion from earlier. My understanding is that the three people on the panel will all be sitting in a room together in front of a screen.

Cath

• Sue Atkinson (View all users posts) 14 Jul 2014 12:33pm ()

Having read about the difficulties Gail is experiencing typing into a pdf, I decided to have a quick trial run. I discovered that I can type into the boxes on the first page of the form, but when I try to write my 'blurb' in Section A, nothing happens. I then tried writing it in Word and cutting and pasting, but it didn't drop into the correct position on the pdf document and I can't figure out how to move it! Janene, your suggestions seem to refer to inserting a pdf into a Word document, rather than the other way round, am I correct? Any ideas greatly appreciated!

• Megan (View all users posts) 14 Jul 2014 4:43pm ()

Hi Sue,

I've been working in word, cutting and pasting directly into the pdf document and so far that seems to be working ok. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything different to what you did. It looks like it landed in the correct section. Saving it seems like a bit of a clunky process - but so far so good now. Not like my first attempt - don't know what I did or didn't do, but my changes were not saved - nothing important lost - but I am a bit weary still! So saving diligently in word - my parallel portfolio universe! 

I am enjoying some of the readings I've dug up to support my portfolio focus - just as well as I tear myself away from my holiday who dunnit! 

• Janene Maloney (View all users posts) 14 Jul 2014 5:05pm ()

Good thinking Megan! Nothing worst than losing a whole lot of unsaved changes. Doesn't quite sound the same when you try to re-type what you lost Surprised

• Janene Maloney (View all users posts) 14 Jul 2014 4:43pm ()

I've been trying to ring TeachNZ all day to ask them about some of the questions raised here, but haven't been able to speak to anyone yet.

Not sure how to fix the problem you're experiencing with typing into the PDF. Are you using Adobe or Preview? It seems to be working fine in Preview.

• Megan (View all users posts) 14 Jul 2014 9:50pm ()

Ah-ha! I think I found the right icon - thanks Janene for your reply. Its Adobe, but I was searching for  the 'Preview' (??) you mentioned - and accidently realised that there is an icon on the top menu bar that allows you to insert text. Yay - looks like thats the way to type straight onto the document. I'll give it a go, anyway. And thank you so much for trying to get expert advice from TeachNZ on our behalf.

• Janene Maloney (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2014 6:14am ()

Great! No worries, glad it worked:)

• Jill Simons (View all users posts) 15 Jul 2014 9:11am ()

Hi everyone,

I am still trying to get my head around the actual process of the commentary.  I am thinking that bullet pointing the main ideas would keep the commentary tidy and succinct as opposed to a dialogue. What have others been doing? 

I am in awe of those of you who are already well in the way to submitting your portfolio - well done. 

Jill

• Ginny Neal (View all users posts) 05 Jun 2015 10:51pm ()

Hi all, I have phoned the 0800 number and spoke to a lovely man who clarified quite a lot :) We are absolutely allowed to submit an electronic portfolio.....the form we have to fill in was created last year and they hadn't realised that applicants would want to do this.  I also asked the NZEI lady last night and she confimed that this was correct - electronic is fine.  Good luck :)

• MWT64 (View all users posts) 06 Jun 2015 6:56am ()

Yay, how strange things work, I have been worried about this for a few days, got up this morning still thinking 'bugga have I wasted my time doing a digital portfolio?' and your VLN post was just sitting in my email!!

Thanks ;-)

Join this group to contribute to discussions.