Search

Protocols around ebooks

• Public
Started by Annemarie Hyde 26 Jun 2014 11:03am () Replies (9)

Our librarian came to my door this morning.  We haven't got to supplying ebooks there but we are certainly in discussion.

In the meantime, individual teachers are downloading and using ebooks as class texts or for their class' reading.

We have no protocols around this and it's not widespread yet; but it's certainly something we need to be mindful of.  What protocols are other schools using and developing around this?  

(Also posted on Literacy Online)

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 11:08am ()

What a great discussion to start Annemarie, I look forward to hearing how schools and individual teachers are using ebooks and developing policies around them.  

• Denise Barrington (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 11:30am ()

We have some students who bring their Kindle to school to read and we are just starting the process of looking in to eBooks.

I am keen to know if eBooks might have an impact on improving reading attitudes in reluctant readers so am beginning an inquiry on this. I'd be interested in protocols etc as well as knowing if anyone has had experience with reluctant readers and ebooks or knows of any research around this area.

I have booked myself in for a session at the National Library in Auckland  'E-books: issues and options' on 2 September. They have resources on their site that might be helpful and also run courses on digital citizenship etc.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 11:39am ()

Great to hear about that session. It's obviously a timely discussion as we all turn more to online environments and start using ebooks to both engage reluctant readers and save the money from one text on devices which give access to a range of etexts and applicatioons.  I shall look up the course.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 11:46am ()

My 10 cents... 

eBooks are Software:  Ebooks have practically no physical limitations. They can be replicate onto hundreds, thousands, even millions or billions of devices.  The great thing is that they don’t even need to be located at the school.

So this is the problem that we are facing. Ebooks are not books at all—they are software and they should be sold the way software is sold.  Some publishers and distributors require schools to pay for a separate version of every ebook they want every child to see, but I disagree and believe that this is simple greed.  Why can’t the ebooks be distributed in bundles, with user agreements and tiered pricing levels that change based on the number of students served?

We have our library of eBooks on the cloud so students can issue and use them as they need.  We keep track of what ever books are issued which helps our library budget and what purchases to make.  But what I would love to change are why are ebooks still being sold individually?  It took a long time for the Apple app store to change and allow lisence accounts for school/ buisnesses, and believe that this too will happen the eBooks eventually. 

Not trying to plug anysoftware, but you might want to check out this: 

http://www.schoollibrarysoftware.co.nz/

We have both physical and digital forms of books available to students.  In the beginning the physical books were being used most of all.  But now its swinging to digital.  Students comment on how easy it is to issue them from the seat they are on, the ebook reader carries on from where you left off, and you can write notes in the ebook that is personalised for your copy only. 

It has transformed our readers, and our low readers especially.  They are reading more, and are actually 'reading' not just looking at the book. 

• Charlotte Corfe (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 12:43pm ()

In terms of books downloaded and used in iBook there are some things to be aware of.

These books are 'content' and in Apple'e eyes they belong to the Apple ID that downloaded them and should not be shared around devices.  Though free iBooks are fine to share.  It is illegal to share paid iBooks unless you pay for each individual version.  

This is something our school is trying to come to terms with at the moment and how best to manage it.  

• Lisa Allcott (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 2:02pm ()

Hi everyone,

I wrote the course that Denise mentioned (e-books - issues and options) as well as the information on e-books for school libraries on our website which is in the process of being updated. One of the points that we emphasize is that it is illegal for school libraries (or any other library for that matter) to provide e-books to patrons unless they purchase the e-books through a supplier that has negotiated the digital rights for those items. Currently there is a limited range of suppliers that NZ school libraries can use to do this - you could investigate Wheelers, Overdrive and World Books. E-books that you purchase through Amazon for example, are for personal use only.

There are e-books that are in the public domain, such as those supplied through Project Gutenberg or the International Childrens Digital Library that you can add to your school library catalogue.

Regarding the question of how e-books encourage reading you could have a look at some research by Colleen Foley which details her findings on this topic.

I will let you all know when our e-books page is updated.

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 9:46pm ()

Thanks for the comments so far; useful links and learnings!

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 03 Jul 2014 10:33pm ()

I thought this tweet was food for thought. In using ebooks are some of us going backwards?

With one book....jpg-large

Join this group to contribute to discussions.