Search

share cross classrooms or not?

• Public
Started by mrs totoro 26 Jun 2014 10:42am () Replies (6)

Morena

We are moving towards 1:1.  We have purchased a set of Chrome Books.  Do you reccomend them being shared across a set of classes like a COW or trialled in a classroom?  I have read ipads can be a nightmare when sharing across classrooms because account and log in management is extremely messy.  Is this the same for Chrome Books?

Replies

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 10:57am ()

Hey,

Chromebooks are very easy to share between multiple users, especially if they know their Google credentials.

Each chromebook can hold about 15 users, who need to click on their image and type their passwords to login. Alternatively, a 'new user' button requires users to type their username and password. With both login options, students profiles are loaded in seconds. 

We currently have a 'set' of Chromebooks that are distributed between a syndicate (3 in each class). The teachers often 'pool' the chromebooks from other classrooms to get a decent amount of devices.

Good luck!

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 11:05am ()

Just like steve said, (I seem to be agreeing with Steve a lot these days)

Chromebooks are the easiest I have seen to have multipul users.   Immediate log off and log in.  As well as just view the web as a guest for quick research.

04fig00.jpg

If you are a GAFE school then they would be the perfect choice.

• annerotorua (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 11:53am ()

Chromebooks work very well sharing across classes - we get the students to browse as a guest but you also have the option to add users if you want to.

We did start off with a trial class which I think was a good idea. They had the Chromebooks all the time. Now we store the school owned Chromebooks in a COW and move them between four classrooms - we try to keep them as a group of 15 that a class can book rather than split them up on a so many per room basis.

Hapara Teacher Dashboard is great  - wouldn't want to be using GAFE with classes without it!

Hope this helps.

• mrs totoro (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 3:04pm ()

Very helpful, thank you all!Smile

Will share with my colleagues so we can make a decision.

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 26 Jun 2014 6:48pm ()

We have a COW of Chromebooks and COWs of ipads that are available for classes to book out and use. we are a GAFE school so the students all have their own Google credentials. The students definitely like the ease of using the Chromebooks for Google Drive... Some of the students have their own blogs and find the chromebooks great.

We have 21 classes of Intermediate students and have so far had no issues with multiple users.

Biggest issue is making sure that students log out of their Google ID if they are passing on to another student.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.