Search

Network authentication using GAFE accounts.

• Public
Started by Scott Noakes 12 Jun 2014 10:34am () Replies (3)

Hi,

Our company Linewize has been working with Thorrington Primary school to support BYOD and allow students and teacher to logon to their school network using their Google account. This replaces active directory or other LDAP based user authentication.

We seem to be unique in our ability to deliver this functionality to schools, and was wondering if there is wider interest in the school community.

My questions are: Are other schools interested in this? Can anyone recommend a way to get in touch with GAFE schools? Is there a list somewhere? 

Any help or information appreciated.

Cheers Scott.

Replies

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2014 10:46am ()

Our school uses Teacher dashboard (Hapara), and from there upload a Student and then a Class spreadsheet.  This creates all of our student accounts.  Then I have a batch file that sync's this information to active directory and creates the user accounts/ password.

I'd be interested to know what else Linewize offers though...  

• Scott Noakes (View all users posts) 13 Jun 2014 10:43am ()

Hi Hamish,

Thanks for your response. Hapara looks pretty cool!

We provide managed network access, which means authentication, group based filtering and visibility of user browsing history and device data usage. We can block torrents as well to reduce network contention or illegal material downloads.  

The google authentication via OpenAuth is a neat way of not needing to do the account syncing between Hapara (Google) and MS Active Directory. For schools committed to going the Google cloud route you could remove AD completely.

Mindful that this is not a forum for things commercial I probably should leave it at that.

Cheers Scott.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.