Search

Pages

• Public
Started by Roimata Baker 11 Jun 2014 4:18pm () Replies (6)

Some of my workmates have mentioned how much they would miss using Apple's Pages app when switiching to Chromebooks.  Has anyone found an app that is as fantastic as Pages if not better?

Replies

• Steve Trotter (View all users posts) 12 Jun 2014 8:16pm ()

Hey Roimata, yes, Docs are different!

The Number 1 'problem' I hear people complain about are tables (i.e. inability to merge cells etc.). Other problems usually revolve around layout shortcomings.

There are a few solutions for this. 

1) Use templates (as mentioned by Allanah)

2) Insert a drawing into a doc - you can merge cells and customise layout however you want in a drawing, then save and copy into Doc (Do to Drawing and create table. Then Edit > Web Clipboard > Copy entire drawing.. Go to your Doc > Insert > Drawing > Paste. (See video here).

Once the 'drawing' is in your doc, you can edit the table however you like. Which brings me onto number 3 tip..

3) Create your own Doc template with just a table inserted from a Drawing in it. Then, if you ever require a document with a table, open this template and you can edit the table (without the hassle of the above)

4) Use Google Presentation or Drawing as an alternative to Document. If you are creating something with a complicated layout or tables and can't find a suitable template, just create it in Presentation or Drawing. You can change the size to make it 'A4' (File > Page Set-up > Custom) and all the great Google features are still there - collabarate, see revision history, embed..In fact, I find embedding a presentation better than embedding a Documet as hyperlinks open in new windows and you do not have to manually change the size!

5) Create tables within tables.. See this site

6) Try other Apps, as suggested by Leigh (awesome presentation). Another I would recommend is LucidPress, though you now have to pay for all features....

Good luck :)

Steve

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2014 10:01pm ()

Nothing is quite as good as Pages or course but remember that you can stand on the shoulders of others by using the Docs templates that other people have taken the time to create and share as a template.

https://drive.google.com/templates

You can use that link or create a doc- then go FILE- NEW- FROM TEMPLATE.

You can search the templates.

You can search the templates by type or category.

Look for the ones with good ratings and stars as a place to start.

Some are of dubious quality but some are little gems.

You could also submit your own that others could use!

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2014 6:32pm ()

Hi Leigh

Thanks for the link to the presentation. There is a lot of really valuable info there - have sent it to all our staff who are gradually becoming more acustomised to using docs.

Lynne

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2014 6:11pm ()

Hi Roimata

i need to ask what do the staff like about pages?  Then you could try to get ssome apps that will meet their needs.  I agree with Hamish, the functionality of Google Dos is so much more engaging in education.  I am putting a link in here to a presentation I did at the GAFE summit on how you can enhance Google Drive with apps, add ons and extensions for Chrome.  There are hundreds you can add, it is really about what you want them to do.  I hope you find it useful.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1t_N0ibyS2ufdRZLXkv4cvGvUmhs5c64rmnQJp1K_Mr8/edit?usp=docslist_api

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 11 Jun 2014 5:45pm ()

Hi Roimata,

I haven't got the answer you want unfortunately.  But I too was a Pages freek.  Have been using GAFE's doc's for 4 years, and really don't miss it.   A lot of our TA's are switching to chromebooks and there are some really awesome add on's you can have like ProWriting Aid.  It wont write for you, but really helps.  Its great for  students too, as it scafolds their learning/ they begin to understand why writing is the way it is and they learn from using it.

After 6 months your teachers wont remember what they were worried about.  Cool

Plus the collaborative aspect to doc's is so enriching for students and teachers a like.  Your school will resist the transition, but in the end will wonder why they didn't migrate sooner..  

Screen Shot 2014-06-11 at 5.40.41 pm.png

Join this group to contribute to discussions.