Search

Best Platform For 1:1 Procurement - Trust, School Purchase?

Started by Rob Gunn 10 Jun 2014 8:41am () Replies (14)

Our school has creaetd an environemtn that utilises technologies in a 1:2 device scenario and are ready to go to 1:1 BYOD. However, we want to be able to offer devices to our students in a way that ensiures equal access, equity and flexibility in realation to procurement and supply at this stage and only in our school (possibly extending to other schools in our community within the next year.

We are aware of creating a trust that runs and organises procurement and leasing arrangements etc. This arrangement does seem logical to us, but we would like to investigate other possiblities. Is anyone aware of any other solutions that may work? Is it possible for a school to purchase the devices and then onsell to its community either outright or through a lease to own arrangement? Does anyone know of any schools doing it this way?

We would like to avoid finance companies as with the extra margin they put on it and the unflexible nature of payments, bad credit etc it does not seem justified to us.

Any thoughts appreciated. Or If this has been discussed before please provide a link.

Replies

• Shelley Muston (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2014 11:29am ()

Hi Rob

I visited some Melbourne schools recently - one had a lease to buy scheme for those that couldn't afford to provide their own straight away - the school actually subsidised these parents by covering a portion of the cost; another had a number of school devices which were then provided to the student/parents using a bond system, which also included a relacement agreement i.e. it had to be returned in good working order or replaced at the parents' expense. The bond was around $160 (for an ipad). One other school had started by procuring the ipads and onselling to the parents, but soon found that they couldn't offer as good a deal as the parents could get by going straight to a store e.g. Harvey Norman, who would often have them on special at times. They gave this system away and now leave it to the parents to source their own. Most of the schools had a bond scheme where the school would provide one if necessary, but it was surprising how high the percentage of students who already had a device was, even in low decile areas.

I haven't come across any instances of a trust  being set up. Could be more complicated than it needs to be.

Hope this helps.

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2014 6:17pm ()

I find your idea of a bond scheme interesting. This is also a possible avenue to explore. THanks for sharing

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2014 12:40pm ()

Hi there.  Just a few notes to think about.

BYOD and 1:1 are not the same thing (and neither are terms we should use when talking to parents).

Remember that the BOT and principal need to be center in the dicussion for this sort of thing, as it is their job to figure out resourcing and to discuss what expectations are reasonable for the community => teachers should be focussing on what benefit it provides and adopting a pedagogy that can make use of ubiquitious internet connected devices.

Schools cannot provide finance directly to parents: as far as I am aware, they are specifically excluded from being able to do this by the terms of the funding they receive from the government = why a trust is used.

Imagine a school of 300 students, with an existing ICT budget of $10k for devices.  For this discussion I'm not going to make up imaginary numbers for "cost savings" through printing, not buying books for the library etc.

Any device worth having is going to cost $600 and need replaced every 3 years.  Yes there are cheaper devices.  Yes there are devices that may last longer.  But this is what you should be planning for IMHO.

Every year, you will need to purchase 100 new devices.  Any devices that are 3 years old and still working = sell, so that you aren't dealing with unreliable gear.  For apple devices, we can conservatively estimate that these will have say $150 residual value = $15,000 to go to new devices.  Since every child has a device, the $10k isn't going to be spent on shared devices, so we have a total of $25k towards our annual purchase.  100x$600 = $60k spend on the new devices.  If this can't be found anywhere else in the budget we could ask for an additional donation from parents: $35k/300 = $30 per term per student < $3 per week.  This is less than they are spending to buy savs from the PTA on fridays.  At this point you could get businesses, PTA etc. to provide scholarships/hardship fund etc. for those that couldn't contribute.

So there are options that don't involve finance, leasing and all other sorts of mess - just getting your board to ask parents if they can contribute $3 per week per student and the school could look at simply buying enough devices for 1:1.   I'm a bit in favour of this as it is a softer entry for schools as they can avoid the merry-go-round of discussions about equity of devices and you can restrict the device to the same one to make teachers feel more comfortable...

Does any of this help?

Pete

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2014 6:16pm ()

Thanks Peter. Appreciate all views. Your scenario regarding funding is interesting. I agree that school infrastructure working on a 3 year cycle is easy to manage and works well with the life cycle of technology. 

• Keir Whipp (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2014 12:48pm ()

We had Tony Gilbert of New Era talk to a few of us at Aorere last week.  On the question of procurement he warned of the danger of schools purchasing to lease to students and instead recommended a scheme called Interference set up by New Era.  Give him a call.  He says they take care of getting best deals from one of several stores, and devices are set up ready for school networks (I think).  He reminded us that not all devices will be readily compatible with school networks, and this needs to be taken into consideration.

• Jane Armstrong Bos (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2014 1:21pm ()

Learning with 1:1 digital devices is a new section just up on the Enabling e-Learning website. You might find the page on Device funding useful. Common device ownership options are outlined:

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 10 Jun 2014 5:35pm ()

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Jane. I was not aware of this part of the site. Interesting read.

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2014 8:49pm ()

Hi Jane

Thanks for the information.  Our BOT is currently funding the lease for our 1:1 class - we are exploring options with a vew to entering into some kind of partnership with the community in 2016. 

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2014 11:27am ()

Hi Rob, I’m not sure if you’re aware of The Manaiakalani Project where, “The students are being offered the opportunity to own personal netbook devices and wireless internet access is being offered across the community to enable the students to continue working from home. Parent and agency education and involvement with this project is important.”  

If your focus is on finding pathways towards equitable access, you might well be interested in their story,  and find out more about how The Manaiakalani Project, has set out to 'retool' schools in the cluster, where, “whanau/aiga are all paying $3.50/week over 3 years to own their child’s netbook device." 

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2014 8:37pm ()

Hi Tessa, Thanks for that. Yes we are aware of the project and have examples from them. Just wondering what other schools have used to achieve same result in different ways. Thanks heaaps.

• Sandy Lediard (View all users posts) 16 Jun 2014 8:53pm ()

Hi Rob

Thanks for starting this discussion.  We are in the throes of exploring options for our school so the discussion is very timely for us.

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 17 Jun 2014 8:35am ()

I have learnt of anohter school that runs a system through their school. Bascially they are able to run a lease to own arrangement through a finance company or supplier that is paid quarterly over 2 years. This sits outside the schools leasing / fincance policies and evidently needed permission from the MOE. The ownership of the devices remains with the school until such time as the devices are paid for. The items are considered stationary for the school (this is a very simple explanation).

• Celia Paul (View all users posts) 25 Sep 2014 1:02pm ()

Kia Ora,

Awesome discussion, but just a quick question about the whānau contribution of $3.50per week, would this be over a 40 week school year or a 52 week year that whānau are needing to contribute? I am in the process of researching and gathering a workable system for 1:1 for our Kura and appreciate all the input so far in others researching the same.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.