Search

Learning with 1:1 digital technologies

• Public
Started by Jane Armstrong Bos 05 Jun 2014 9:38am () Replies (15)

Is your school trialling or beginning a 1:1 digital devices or BYOD programme? What is your rationale for starting this initiative? How are you going about starting or what have you learned so far?

We have put a new section, Learning with 1:1 digital devices up on Enabling e-Learning. The aim of the content is to provide information and examples that support school leaders and teachers with introducing and developing a digital device or BYOD programme. Content includes:

We welcome your feedback and also your stories to enhance the content on the website.

Replies

• Kate Friedwald (View all users posts) 07 Jun 2014 9:40pm ()

Hi Jane

A lot of great content there covering a range of necessary components.  We have just this year began a 1to1 Trial in a Year 5/6 class which is going extreamly well.  If you would like to know more have a look through the information we have been using for our parents. I am happy to discuss in further detail if you like.

• Jane Armstrong Bos (View all users posts) 09 Jun 2014 5:21pm ()

Hi Kate,

Thanks for sharing Wairakei School's information about BYOD. It is a great example for others to look at and consider the information they provide to parents/whānau and how they will do that. I was also interested to see you BYOD agreement which looks very comprehensive.

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 9:24pm ()

Hi all,

Can the use of 1to2 IPADs/laptops improve students learning at our school?

Next year we are planning to trial 1:2 IPAD/Laptop (school owned) in a few classrooms. We will seek to evaluate whether IPADs/Laptops enhance learning. 

So we have a few important decicions to make ipads vs chromebooks vs laptops. We would also like to develop some success criteria so that we can articulate the connection between IPADs/Laptops and learning. (E.g. Investigate, trial and identify ways in which we can further move the focus from teacher led instruction to student-centered learning; empowering students to use technology to explore, create, communicate, collaborate and innovate ideas and concepts. Determine ways in which IPAD/laptop can complement and enhance literacy, mathematics  and inquiry learning.)

I'm wondering if there are some schools that have gone through the process that would like to share your experiences - goog and bad. How have you measured the affect ipads/leptops have on student learning.

Would love to hear from you.

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 9:59pm ()

Hi Katarina,

Think of the devices on a continium.  Laptops down one end as this tool is heavly weighted in creating content.. Chromebooks closer to that end as well, but not quite as good... where as in my experience, iPads are more of a content absorbing tool so sit behind chromebooks a little bit.  

By creating I mean all the digital ways we can create things.  audio, video, code, documents, presentations.

So if you can afford laptops they are the better tool.  The reason a lot of schools (including mine) have gone down the chromebook path, is because they are the closest to a laptop you can get, with almost as much features, at half the cost.  It does depend on your year level also.  In my opinion, high school students would be far more suited to laptops, where as juniors are more weighted to iPads.   The reason for this is the students at this age (year 1-2) are not as demanding on what the device can do, and accept the apps for what they are....  iPads are also a lot more intuaitive.  More natural to use and learn.

We have a 1:1 from year 5-8.  We started with netbooks (the cheap laptop option) and now would only use chromebooks.  We do have 24 iPads for our juniors, and they are used very well.  But iPads just don't perform enough of what our students want.  

If I put our Macbook Pro's, chromebooks, iPads out for students to use, then the macbook would go first every time, followed by the chromebook.  iPads are often left unused, even if a student needs to use a device.  

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 10:21pm ()

I agree with you. We have four  1:1 laptop classes - hopefully that will become everyone's option soon. We also have pods of laptops which go around our other classes. The students chose laptops because they are better for creating instead of just consuming. We have a Minecraft server and the Year7-8 kids we have prefer them. Netbooks aren't strong enough; ipads are known for weaker wireless connections too. Chromebooks don't do Minecraft.

Make sure purpose and teacher pedagogy is firmly in place. Just having a tool won't improve learning.

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 10:28pm ()

Hi Katarina and Hamish -

I would have to disagree with you Hamish when you place laptops as more able to create content, then Chrome Books, then iPad devices down the other end as 'content absorbing tools'.  While I agree the laptops and Chrome Books can be used for content creation, iPad devices are incredible tools for creative output.  

iPad devices are great tools for photography, filming, movie creation, 3d modelling for 3d printing, virtual reality creation, music making, green screening, blogging, graphic design, brain storming, coding, and the list goes on.  

The key with any tool is to make the best use of it.  In the case of iPad, the right sorts of apps need to be installed and used and explicitly taught so that students understand the capapbilities of each app.  

Please don't tell us that the iPad is mainly for consumption.  We've burnt that bridge a long time ago.  Here is another take on the creation vs consumption discussion, with reference to iPads.  Interesting to note that the graphic in this article refers to 'traditional PCs', of which NetBooks and Chrome Books are not.  

We have a 1:1 iPad program at school in some classes, and are still investigating quantitative data on improvement in student learning.  However, the levels of student engagement in learning in these classes has sky rocketed.  But 80% of the time these devices are used for content creation, not consumption.  Just having a cool tool in class won't improve the learning.  Having effective teachers and grounded pedagogy will.

Hope this helps Katarina!

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 10:41pm ()

The main point is - Katarina needs to explore rather than just "do devices". How are the teachers with digital devices? It won't work if any device is used as a text book relacement or to play games. Look up the SAMR model. 

Do your homework. Take time to play. Talk to the Matthews, Hamishes and Annemaries. What do you think you want out of a 1:1 programme?

• Hamish McLean (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2014 8:52am ()

I didn't mean that ipads are not for creation, I said they sit slightly behind chromebooks.  So they still are for creation, but because they are an all in one device, they fit every need nicely.  We found the 'docs' app for iPads combersome.  'Spreadsheet' 'form' and 'doc' are missing a lot of features that we need.  Also addon's and extentions (the best part of google docs') don't work like we want.  Where as other tools like laptops and chromebook are more specific, so I believe fit better for that need.  

With being a GAFE school, we would need to work harder to create with iPads.  Sure apps are there that can create, but not as good as the other two devices I mentioned.   If money wasn't an option we would go with laptops.  

Like Annemarie said, minecraft is a massive tool for learning, and chromebooks can't do this.  iPads do have an app for minecraft, but its pocket edition.  So has half of the features that are offered on destops and laptops.  This is an example of the limitations of iPads.  You are reliant on the app, and in my experience iPads are just not quite as good for our senior students.  Please don't get me worng, im not saying that iPads are not good, they do fit a general need very well.  

As Innes says, it all comes down to how you use the device.  PDL is key, and pedagogy is the most important.  If you have the devices, but only use word processing to 'publish' and absorbe, then your missing the point.  

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 04 Sep 2014 11:19pm ()

Reading the various comments I can't help but come back to the Golden Circle questions: Why? How? What?

Why you have already answered, Katarina, "to improve student learning".

How you have answered partly, with your intention to increase DTs to 1:2 in some classrooms as a trial. It is realy important that you think carefully about how you want to use these DTs; what is the teachers's understanding of future oriented pedagogy? What kind of tasks will the devices be used for? Do you want students to type long passages of text? Something with a keyboard will be better. Do you want students to capture images, audio and video, in and out of class, and then create sth. with this? A tablet might be a better choice. Allanah King wrote a great blog post about using the right tool for the right purpose here http://allanahk.edublogs.org/2014/06/20/the-right-tool-for-the-job/.

What device or possibly devices might be best for your situation, fit your budget and your teachers can best cope with will surely come out of the above.

Just a little side note, if I was back in the classroom I would like a variety of devices so I have the right tool for the right job - but then I'm a bit of a technonut lol.

Hope this helps! Looking forward to hear how you proceed:) Monika

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2014 5:27am ()

IMHO

Often the difference between consumption and creation is PD.

if a  conference, or a conversation (extended) of a few days 'expert' support dovetailed into a programme of strategic  development makes that difference then it is $$$ well spent.

Matthew's point about explicit teaching is very apt, and that needs to include the 'big' people. Giving someone a scalpel doesn't make them a surgeon, running a trial doesn't turn a tool into a learning instrument. It needs to be clearly linked to plans and pedagogy. As Annemarie comments SAMR is a very useful model to use though it does require a lot more that the "SAMR in 2 minutes" approach to really look at what R means at all ages and across the curriculum.

i want my five year olds to be digital animators, photographers, performers, artists, recorders, videographers and authors as well as collaborators, sharers and communicators without the hindrance of wires, cards, tapes etc and a multiplicity of devices. If I can be so bold as to link this with another discussion about literacy / maths progressions,  rather than identify digital progressions I would suggest some broad SAMR examples at each age and stage. There are as many R examples at five as there are at fifteen (or even 65 8-)

our creativity is at times only limited by what we don't know.

• Jane Armstrong Bos (View all users posts) 05 Sep 2014 9:29am ()

Katarina - great to hear you are doing some research and planning for your trial into 1:2 iPads/laptops with the aim of improving student learning. It is important to trial and research which is the best tool for the learning that will work in your school for your students. I have just finished filming at Wairakei School creating a series of video clips about their trial of 1:1 iPads. Part of the trial involved gathering data from parents, students, and the teacher - Kate Friedwald who has been running the trial in her classroom. The school has published the results of Mid-year feedback on their website, which might be helpful. The videos will be published on Enabling e-Learning in the next few weeks. I'll post when they are online.

• Katarina Moore (View all users posts) 16 Sep 2014 9:31pm ()

Hi Jane, Hamish, Innes, Monika, Annemarie & Matthew,

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and wealth of knowlede and experiences. It certainly has given us a lot of information to ponder over!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2014 11:48am ()

Kia ora koutou, you're all most welcome to join us in today's WEBINAR: Moving towards 1:1 devices – exploring different approaches and lessons learned, Date: 28 October, 2014, Time: 3:45–4:45pm

Lesley Murrihy, Principal Amesbury School and Mark Quigley, DP Orewa College will share: 

• why they chose a 1:1 approach
    • how they implemented 1:1
    • changes/benefits for students and teachers
    • lessons learned

This is an interactive webinar and participants will have time to ask questions of Lesley, Mark, and Howard Baldwin from the Ministry of Education.

Access:  

The login link to this webinar today: http://connect.vln.school.nz/r10v55u3wqc/  The link will be live from 3pm on Tuesday, 28 October.

Love to see you there smiley

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 29 Oct 2014 12:37pm ()

The recording, slides from Lesley Murrihy and Mark Quigley, and brief summary of yesterday's webinar can be found in a new discussion topic, Moving towards 1:1 devices - exploring different approaches and lessons learned.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.