Search

Chromebooks and Data Projectors

• Public
Started by Lynne Crowe 27 May 2014 5:54pm () Replies (9)

Just wondering if you are you able to connect Chromebooks successfully to a data projector? What extra equipment etc do you need? Thanks

Replies

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 May 2014 6:40pm ()

Hi Lynne,

My Samsung CB has an HDMI port - use HDMI cable to connect to your HDMI projector. Many schools, though still have the TELA funded (?) Sony projector with only VGA connection. I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter, however, it doesn't work for me. From some research I did it appears I would have needed to choose such an adapter with power supply (I can still use that adapter for my apple TV etc.).

There is also Chromecast, to my knowledge still not available in NZ, I had ordered mine from the US via ebay. It is supposed to work similar to an apple TV by mirroring the content of the Chrome Browser / the Chromebook to your screen / projector. I did tutu with it when I first bought it but not for the last 6 months or so - it sounded very promising to me.

Hope this helps! Monika

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 27 May 2014 8:27pm ()

Fishpond sell the Chromecasts in New Zealand. Here is the link.

http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Electronics/Google-Chromecast-HDMI-Streaming-Media-Player/0811571013579

Slide Seven of this collaborative Google Presentation shares how to set one up. It worked tickety boo easily for me.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1OPbVpxOGQaCdWLrrVGv7kAk7Ey1YHwNOxobIzzpC-sk/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000

Also if you have something about Chromebook use that you would like to add please do so.

Cheers

Allanah

• Lynne Crowe (View all users posts) 28 May 2014 5:32pm ()

Thanks for the info re chromecast - I am looking into this.

Thanks Allanah - I will certainly add anything else I want to know. The google docs presentation looks very useful - that's my investigating for tonight!

• Dave Winter (View all users posts) 28 May 2014 7:52pm ()

Hi all 

Many of the chromebooks have standard vga and hdmi ports to connect directly to projectors and TVs.

The Acer c7 and c720 have hdmi no vga

Samsung arm based ones - have hdmi no vga

Lenovo has both hdmi and vga

In terms of chromecast this is great little device but I have been unable to get it working in our school environment.

There are some challenges in the way it uses wifi in  a corporate environement. This will be one of the things I try to find out about ona trip to ISTE late next month.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 28 May 2014 8:56pm ()

Dave, can you please explain for this Mac user, what does 'arm-based' mean? And are some Sansungs NOT arm-based?

Thanks - this discussion is very helpful for us as we are contemplating getting some Chromebooks.

• Dave Winter (View all users posts) 05 Aug 2014 11:03am ()

Hi Carol. ARM based refers to a type of processor. Macs, Windows pcs and many chromebooks are powered by Intel processors. ARM processors have been used in a number of tablets and mobile devices. They have certain power characteristics and a way of processing instructions that is slightly different. Arm based processors have historically been cheaper than intel ones. The chromebook that samsung introduced with the ARM chip was at the time revolutionary in terms of bringing the cost of a chromebook down to the sub $500 pricepoint. The first samsungs were not ARM based. They have just released a second version. Other manufacturers have produced ARM based chromebooks now also HP and Acer for example.

Hope this helps.

• Megan NL (View all users posts) 06 Jul 2014 10:22pm ()

We use ACER C720s. I have an HDMI to VGA adapter which I purchased on Trademe for $25. It works perfectly and connects to my projector in my classroom with ease.

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 07 Jul 2014 11:41am ()

Hi all.

We trialled some chromecasts on our HDMI capable projectors last week. The only problem we found was that the USB port on the projector (which is needed to power hte chromecast) did not seem to have enough power. There for it would require a double plug to power the projector and a usb adapter in order for it to work. Our wifi is fairly open buit is managed and VLANed and there were no issues with it connecting.

We also use hdmi-vga adaptors to connect to some projectors and bigger monitors for use with video editing etc.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps

Join this group to contribute to discussions.