Search

VMOKO brings health care to remote Far North

• Public
Started by Moana Timoko 22 May 2014 1:07pm () Replies (4)

This is a link to the TV3 Campbell Live screening of: VMOKO brings health care to remote Far North

Info copied here:

A new trial called VMOKO in the far north is aiming to reduce easily treatable infections, but it's being done without doctors and patients ever meeting face to face.

Areas such as the Karikari Peninsula, which a harshly remote corner of the country, is one of the poorest regions in New Zealand, and one of the most affected by preventable sickness.

All too often, it is children who are being affected, by the most basic of complaints.

But untreated complaints can lead to widespread infection, blood poisoning, and in the worst case scenario, death.

Lachlan Forsyth took a visit up north to visit to Te Kura Kaupapa Maori O Rangiawhia on the Karikari Peninsula, where the children get an education centred on Maori culture, and the principal and teachers double as doctors.

Read more: http://www.3news.co.nz/VMOKO-brings-health-care-to-remote-Far-North/tabid/817/articleID/344380/Default.aspx#ixzz3228VJsY2

Replies

• Ed Strafford (View all users posts) 22 May 2014 2:10pm ()

That was such a cool piece of TV journalism!

Seems to me that this is a great example of innovation to meet a set of needs. I wonder how we understand the process that was used to "get to *yes*" in this context.

I expect that words like "perseverance", "relationships", "community buy-in", "mana", "preparation", "understanding the context" and "allies" might be used in telling this story. I expect having Lance O'sullivan in the context might have helped.

And then, I wonder .. how we might adopt a similar process to meet very similar needs for learning success - as well as in this health meets education setting.

(I expect we have a number of influencers in education who, like Lance O'Sullivan, can stride in both worlds.)

nāku noa nā, Ed

• Janelle Riki (View all users posts) 22 May 2014 2:33pm ()

Ae tautoko tēnei kōrero Moana. What a fabulous story and a wonderful example of how technology is working in partnership with people to bring opportunities to communities in need.  And agree Ed, next we need to think about how we can leverage the use of technology to improve learning outcomes for students and offer new opportunities and foster new relationships.  Exciting times!

• Phoebe Davis (View all users posts) 23 May 2014 8:19am ()

Ae e tautoko na au ngā korero nei e pā ana ki tenei kaupapa whakahirahira.

Ae Great story and great outcomes for people in the Far North.

To get this kaupapa we needed that community tenacity and collaboration to come together. You are so right Ed perserverance in bucket loads.

Kia ora Moana for highlighting this for us all.

Mauri ora

Phebs

Join this group to contribute to discussions.