Search

Transferring photos from i-phone 5 to a laptop - help?

• Public
Started by Jill Simons 20 May 2014 10:18pm () Replies (16)

I have started using my I phone 5 in class to take photos. I want to share them on our school network but I am having a lot of trouble.  My Laptop does not seem to recognise the phone as a device, and I have unlocked the phone before connecting to the laptop. I have googled the problem but any solutions don't seem to work.  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 20 May 2014 10:32pm ()

Is your phone backed up any where??

Suggest you may like to use an app combination if emailing is too much of a hassle.

Photo Transfer for bulk sharing, Flick for one photo or video at a time or Chirp just for fun.

Listed here https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/productivity-apps

Flick is not currently in the iTunes store as there was an issue with an update so they pulled it. It should be back in a day or two.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/flick./id644265534?mt=8

• Chris THEOBALD (View all users posts) 20 May 2014 10:38pm ()

I will offer up a different solution to you problem that doesnt answer your question.... (I wont get into how to connect your phone to your comp - I am sure that there are others on here that will help out more articulately than I in this area)

I use Printopia - (http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/). It is $20 (I think) but is the best tool I have in my class behind my idevices. 

Printopia allows you to print many things (photos, documents, etc) directly from your phone to any printer linked to your computer. You can also choose to print anything to your computer itself (it just pops up, one second after you press print on iphone). I use this daily to 'print' (transfer) photos to my computer from my phone, i then save them to files, upload to blogs and more. I also print photos directly to a nearby printer of modelling on white boards etc so we have a permanent record.

All you need is for the phone to be on the same wifi network as the computer that has printopia downloaded on it.

It can be installed on several computers for one registration (I have it on three Computers, all of which are linked to me. The registration is linked to the user not the machine, so you can go from there...)

Hope this helps

Chris

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 20 May 2014 10:50pm ()

That's very cool- I never twigged what 'send to Mac' would do in Printopia would do. I should have pushed a few more buttons! #alwayslearning ;-)

• Chris THEOBALD (View all users posts) 21 May 2014 7:17pm ()

Teaching the iPad guru something about iPads.... I might stop all posting now. Finish on top of my game! 

Thanks Allanah!

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 21 May 2014 9:11pm ()

Together we know just about everything, on our own we each know parts of everything.

We can all learn lots from each other- that's what this whole VLN thing is all about.

;-)

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 21 May 2014 3:08am ()

If you have the Google Drive App installed on your iphone you can upload the photos through that to your Google Drive (assuming you have a Gmail account) then download photos to your computer if necessary.

You just open the Drive app and use the + to access your photos and upload. 

• Jo Dudley (View all users posts) 21 May 2014 7:42am ()

Drop box works well too.

• Gillian Ellison (View all users posts) 21 May 2014 7:17pm ()

For photo or video transfer from ipad to PC or laptop, I use a free app called Easy Media Transfer.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/easy-media-transfer-easily/id467157100?mt=8

it says it's free- for a limited time.

With both devices on the same wireless connection.

You open the app, select the photos.

then it gives you a URL to type into your laptop browser.

on the laptop the photos appear, ready for you to save or use.

This method is not uploading or downloading files so very quick to execute.

• Dave Knapman (View all users posts) 21 May 2014 10:04pm ()

I have used Photo Transfer App successfully. Easy to transfer photos and video between iPad, iPhone, Mac or PC either by wireless or bluetooth.  It's available from the app store.

• Jaxdonald (View all users posts) 22 May 2014 7:14pm ()

From my experience, the easiest, simplest and cheapest solution that has never failed me is .... Image Capture. Free with every Mac. Connect your phone with the phone cable. Launch Image Capture. Trust iPhone if necessary by clicking Trust on iPhone.

Use Command key to select the specific items - photos and/or videos - that you want to tranfer. Copy to Pictures or to a New Folder you made and named for this purpose - eg iPhone Photos - and click Import Selected. If you want them all Click Import All.

You can then use Image Capture to delete the photos/videos you have imported, thus saving Memory space on your iPhone.

Voila

• Lynley Schofield (View all users posts) 25 May 2014 6:25am ()

I have found a simple and easy solution to this problem. I too had problems getting photos, mainly off the IPads onto the computers, and with all my students taking photos, emailing them to me at a limit of 5 at a time was really tedious.

If you log into Google Drive on your device you can upload them straight into Drive from the camera roll. No worries about data size or number of photos. Now the students can put them into their own Drive account and use them , or I can log in on my account if I I need them. Several children working together can all log in separately, and add them, or the students can share them with me or other students from their Drive accounts. It has saved me loads of time.
  • Ingrid (View all users posts) 25 May 2014 3:41pm ()

Have you tried connecting your iphone to the mac with the lightning/usb cable.  it works just like connecting a camera and downloads into iphotos. 

• MissiaHewer (View all users posts) 08 Jul 2015 7:49pm ()

Well, you can do it wireless by enabling Photo Stream so that your pictures on iPhone will be automatically sync to iCloud. And then you can sign in your Apple ID on iCloud web page to import the files to the PC. This is my way about transferring photos from iPhone 5 to laptop.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.