Search
  • Discussion
  • BYOD
  • What happens to student learning if their device dies during the year?

What happens to student learning if their device dies during the year?

• Public
Started by Sharon 20 May 2014 8:22pm () Replies (3)

I have my parent hat on here as I have just been through this (although with a happy ending*). My son's netbook broke and he has spent the last 2 weeks minus his device. It made me realise just how much he relies on it now for his work and also made me wonder what would happen if it permanantly died. So I thought I would ask what schools who have implemented BYOD do when (for whatever reason) a student loses access to their device during the year. It is a big enough ask for most families to buy one device for their child (and more than one if you have multiple children). Do schools insist that parents buy another one? Are alternatives offered? How is the child's learning managed?

*Just as an aside for anyone not aware of the Consumer Guarantees Act, it pays to know the rights you have under this legislation. My son's netbook was out of warrantee BUT the fault was with the device (the hinge snapped) and not caused by a drop/water damage/rough handling etc so it was repaired for no charge. I was sure to mention the CGA when we brought it in and there was absolutely no argument from the retailer.

Replies

• Shona Poppe (View all users posts) 21 May 2014 5:49pm ()

We are BYOD and as yet we have not come across this, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. We still have devices at school the students can share access. We have students save their work in the iCloud, Dropbox, Edmodo and/or a blog and we are about to embark on GAFE.  These are not platform or device dependent, so as long as the students have access to any device, they are able to continue with their work (although they may be restricted to a desktop).  Therefore hopefully a damaged device would be a bump in the road not a dead end.

• Sharon (View all users posts) 26 May 2014 10:12pm ()

Thanks for the reply. I agree that using the Cloud is a good way to avoid disaster (I have had my fair share of hard disk crashes!) I taught my son to use Google drive for all his work and I believe the school encourages it as well so from a work point of view we were covered.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.