Search

Using Meraki as ipad MDM

• Public
Started by Steve Lydford 11 Apr 2014 3:58pm () Replies (37)

Hi all, I've gone away from profile manager and am going to use Meraki. Does anyone have some steps or tips? I've found what I can on line.

Cheers

Steve

Replies

• Brendon White (View all users posts) 11 Apr 2014 10:25pm ()

Happy if you give me a call next week and I can share my experiences, etc with Meraki.

Cheers

Brendon

• Robyn Cooper (View all users posts) 15 Apr 2014 7:38pm ()

If you use Meraki, do you have to have volume purchasing organised first

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 15 Apr 2014 8:12pm ()

Hi Robyn

I would like to know this too.

• Steve Lydford (View all users posts) 17 Apr 2014 8:12pm ()

It's back to configurator. I thought I could push out all of the ipad images wirelessly through Meraki, but no.

• Brendon White (View all users posts) 19 Apr 2014 7:00pm ()

We use Meraki to push Apps wirelessly all the time. 

You don't have to have VPP set up before using Meraki.  This can be done afterwards.

• Mike Chatfield (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 7:17pm ()

Hi,

I had some initial issues with setting up meraki. But have resolved them. And quite honestly there is no way I would go back to another system now. Def not configurator. Configurator for pir initial supervision. Then that's it. 

I can distribute apps to devices over the air. Change restrictions the sane way. Also check on and into devices that may have been a problem. 

Further down the track, we will enrol our student laptops for the sane sort of monitoring. I also have seen how it can simplify our future BYOD. 

But mainly, it's not super complicated. Once you have worked through it and have if under way. You can show others how to use it when your not there.  or as I have just done. Change a restriction in 10 minutes to all the iPads over air, from another country. 

VPP or deploying free apps is easy. 

I'd recommend it. 

If you want help. Pleade reply and I can point you on the right direction and answer some other questions. I'm not a super IT tech. Bit have some experience. Plenty to have meraki working for me and making the knowledge sustainable in the school long term. 

Cheers,

mike

• Mike Chatfield (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 7:19pm ()

Also meraki wireless access points should be available through SNUP wireless I have been told. Haven't had that confirmed. But worth finding out if your going towards that process. 

• Warren Grieve (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 7:40pm ()

We are using Meraki for both iPad and Macbooks at our school. We actually have a kitload of Meraki Access Points and Switches also and the detail we get in the easy to use dashboard is great for spotting problems.

• Steve (View all users posts) 07 May 2014 8:00pm ()

Kia Ora Mike

I am very interest in setting up Meraki at our kura. Any hints will help. I am updating all 140 Ipads at our school at the moment and would love to know the steps you went through. Our SNUP upgrade is nearly completed so will definately look at the benifits of it as we go.

Cheers 

Steve

• Michelle Simms (View all users posts) 22 May 2014 2:42pm ()

Hi,

We have had iPads for a while and are now looking at using Meraki.  We would love to visit a large primary (600+) in Hamilton or Auckland that is already using it.  Is anyone able to show us what it looks like in action?

Cheers

Michelle

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 22 May 2014 3:25pm ()

Michelle you might contact Mike (see below). While he is clear he is not an expert he has a real interest in Meraki and as a part of our hugely successful North American Educator tour he and a colleague went and visited Meraki HQ in San Francisco. i have another contact  - you might like to contact me off list

innesk@werc.ac.nz

• Mike Chatfield (View all users posts) 22 May 2014 7:20pm ()

Hi Michelle and Steve,

sorry I've been off the VLN for a bit. Trying to catch up after the North American Tour. Which was amazing, so much to digest and help with future thought/planning. Also as Innes mentioned, I diverted off to go and see the Meraki office to see if it matched up to the hype. I was very impressed. Lots of support and lots of development. Very reassuring.

We are a small school - approx 400, have about 100 ipads deployed at present and have been down the configurator path and into the Meraki set-up.

I'd be happy to chat to you about it or show you what we have done if your up in West Auckland.

send me an email:

mikec@hvschool.co.nz

hope I can help you out. We also use VPP for our paid apps.

cheers,

mike

Join this group to contribute to discussions.