Search

To Teach Typing or Not To Teach Typing

• Public
Started by Jody Garland 27 Mar 2014 5:50pm () Replies (8)

Kia ora,
I teach at an Intermediate and am the Blended Learning Leader. I have been questioned lately around the school polocy on teaching touch typing. Personally, I feel that most (if not all) students develop their typing skills as they begin to type more! Any students who struggle, seem to pick it up with extra practise at home. I am reluctant to set aside touch typing sessions in the class. I guess that I don't really believe that it is important for students to learn specific touch typing skills. I think that students will develop their typing over time and teaching typing seems like a modern form of handwriting. I think that students who need support may need to work on a few typing games, but am loath to have whole class typing session.....Any thoughts....What are other schools doing in regards to teaching typing? Whole class? At home? Only when needed? Is touch typing important???

Replies

• Roimata Baker (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2014 6:08pm ()
    I've chatted about the exact same issue with a teacher from another school.  She has joined her class up with free online tool - Typing Club.  They don't spend too much time in class on this but students can log in and complete each stage in their own time.  She has mentioned how much they enjoy the activities.  Thinking of introducing it next term.  

• Jody Garland (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2014 6:12pm ()

Thanks for your idea Roimata. I think that providing the opportunity for the kids to develop this skill could be helpful. I just don't want to focus my teaching time on using the correct fingers. I think it is very important for kids to know their way around the keyboard. So any time that is used on typing programs, could help develop this.

• Tanya Greig (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2014 9:36pm ()

Have you thought about the flipped learning concept where you video yourself, post it online and have the kids watch it and practise the set activities for homework. 

• sansam (View all users posts) 28 Mar 2014 9:02am ()

We have been using Typing Club from Chrome Web Store and have pushed this out to all users. There isn't time to spend in class specifically teaching touch typing and using a "flipped classroom" concept to teach typing , I think is the best work around.  However there are lots of tips to make tou typing easier, like encouraging children to use both hands, pointing out that the bumps on the j and f keys are home keys, using thumbs for space bar.  They are all good tips to pass onto students to help them become more efficient.

• Hilary Rodley (View all users posts) 28 Mar 2014 4:12pm ()

Just as an aside - my son who is now working in IT says one of the best things I did for him when he was 11 or so was to make him learn to touch type - correctly.  He notices how much quicker he is than his colleagues who - yes - use keyboards all the time, but not so efficiently.  My personal feeling is that it might also help prevent any RSI (or whatever is the current term for that condition) in the future adults we are teaching.

• Roimata Baker (View all users posts) 28 Mar 2014 9:58pm ()

My son has said this too.  He was the same age when his teacher used a typing programme to teach touch typing. He continues to use this skill today and it has made all the difference with his studies at Uni.  All of his work is posted online.  He is grateful to have learned how to type before he left secondary school.

• Justine Driver (View all users posts) 29 Mar 2014 10:42am ()

Agree with Sansam - we've also pushed Typing Club out to all our student profiles via the Chrome Management Console so students can learn to touch type in their own time to build up efficent keyboard skills.  "In my day" at high school ('80s) I learnt to touch type on "manual" typewriters and have always been thankful for learning this skill, however with students access to and use of keyboards at a much younger age <10yrs I think that learning via a programme like Typing Club could be included in literacy tumbles/taskboards rather than a "stand alone" typing lesson.  Teachers could also encourage this by having a "leaderboard ladder" to monitor for accuracy and words per minute, this way students might enjoy the challenge and competitive nature of learning this skill.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.