Search

File management best practice in google docs ???

Started by Kararaina Luke 27 Mar 2014 3:30pm () Replies (11)

Kia ora all,  we are discussion how to best establish a managable file management structure across our school.

EG-

I set a folder to share team minutes with the team mebers and other senior staff across the school , then I leave the school and my email addy is deleted... what happens to the folders? We are assuming the folders are deleted as the owner has left...is that correct?

If so, is there a BEST practice protocol to establish shared folders across the school ???

Looking at team shared folders, School shared folders, Individual folders, studnets folders...

Does someone have a EASY model please???

thanks Kararaina,  Erana, Jo 

Replies

• Mark Callagher (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2014 3:52pm ()

When a user is in the process of being deleted by the system admin there is an option (link) than comes up:

"Transfer ownership of this user's documents to another user"
    When clicked you get the option of which user to transfer them to - either a staff member or set up a staff dummy account called staffleaver@ which senior staff can log in to etc

That is the best way around probably.

Also, you do not need to delete them off the system straight away - ie use let the staff member first use google takeout (https://www.google.com/settings/takeout) to download what they need and transfer to any personal Gmail Account.

Hope that helps.
    Mark
  • Mark Callagher (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2014 4:36pm ()

I do like aspects of this method and agree in part. Great for sharing etc however, the creator of a document is still the owner of the document as I understand it. Even if they create and drag a document into a shared folder they still own the document unless they take the deliberate action of changing the ownership of the document to the folder owner. 

Do correct me if I am wrong.

This would mean that if I am a staff member and I drag a whole lot of files into a shared folder as you suggest and they are accessible to everyone and I end up leaving and you delete my account. Then would not those documents disappear as i am still the owner of the documents? 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.