Search

Chromebook keeps dropping out

• Public
Started by Sam Hamilton 26 Mar 2014 9:42pm () Replies (6)

Hello all,

Our new chromebokos are all connected to our smartnet server and work fine for a little while but then they often drop out for no reason.  I manage to get it back on by playing with settings (actually i do nothing at all, just opening up the setting tab seems to get it bck online but its still a hassle).

ANyone have any ideas how i can help sort the problem?

Sam Hamilton

Replies

• Eric Martini (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2014 9:50pm ()

have you entered the devices MAC addresses in smartnet to allow them through?

We found the chromebooks were blocked until the MAC address were entered as an allowed device.

eric

• Sylvie Vasar (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2014 10:28pm ()

We experienced the same issues until our technician added the mac addresses to the firewall on the server. It all works now and we are not having any connection issues.

• Hilary Rodley (View all users posts) 28 Mar 2014 4:05pm ()

Hi Sam, I posted this in another discussion - but here it is again just in case it is what you are looking for...my husband is our network technician and supports 7 other Smartnet schools as well which is very helpful for me!

If you aren't sure how to enter the mac ids...sign in as sysadmin on Smartnet and go into system management.  Go to Firewall Config, then click the second tab which is advanced configuration.  In here you enter the addresses of the chromebooks, one at a time, as below:

Protocol - Any

Port - Any

Mac Address - address of the Chromebook.  Find this by (on the Chromebook)

• clicking the right arrow next to “Connected to (the name of your wireless network)”

• Clicking on the name of your wireless network

• The hardware address is at the bottom of the box that opens.  It is a series of numbers connected by colons, but you don't need to type the colons in when you enter the address here.
    Destination IP - Any
    Description - whatever you like to call it e.g. Hilary's Chromebook....

I hope this helps.

Hilary
  • Sam Hamilton (View all users posts) 31 Mar 2014 8:38pm ()

Wow, thanks! will do this tomorrow morning :o)

This VLN lark is amazing!  Such a wealth of knowledge and so many people willing to help.  THanks everyone!

• Rob Gunn (View all users posts) 01 Apr 2014 4:45pm ()

How did you go Sam?

We had a similar issue with our chromebooks but we are not on Smartnet. Our problem was solved by giving each a static ip. This seems to have done the trick for the most part so far.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.