Search

MLE storage

• Public
Started by Aaron Vercoe 24 Mar 2014 4:14pm () Replies (4)

We are excited to be creating a wonderful new MLE. Currently defining the finer points of storage solutions within the space. What have people found useful for individual students' equipment? Tote trays etc etc. #deathtothedesk

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Amy Millar (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2014 7:47am ()

Hey,

We have a MLE with 53 junior students. We keep their books in their subject groups. For example the Hairy MacClary reading group have all their books in one tote tray, same for Maths. The children are split amongst the 3 teachers for writing and all my writing, handwriting and spelling books are in separate tote trays on subject for who I teach. Our class is also split into colonies (multi leveled / vertical) as our class is called Toroa (albatross). Some of our resources (eg thinking books and poetry folders) are kept in colony groups. I hope this helps.

• Mark Osborne (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2014 1:31pm ()

Hi Aaron,

One of the things that people say time and time again about bag storage is that if you can get them out to somewhere like a veranda, you free up a huge amount of space in cloakrooms/toilets that can then be used as learning settings. I know a number of schools have also relocated toilets into larger 'super-loos' to free up space in older-style classroom blocks too.

As far as in-class storage of students' itesm go (and getting rid of some desks to free up space for different kinds of learning) I know Stephanie Thompson did a great prototype with buckets at the beginning of last year. She documented and shared it all (as a good teacher should ;-) on her blog: http://traintheteacher.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/first-day-of-school/

I took a number of different lessons out of it, and spent a lot of time thinking about how it would translate to tote-trays, the use of small stackable crates etc.

It's a great post- well worth a read.

Mark

• Aaron Vercoe (View all users posts) 16 Apr 2014 5:28pm ()

Thanks for the replies.The bucket idea takes into account the individuality of students with the small gift idea. Awesome link.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.