Search

Personalising learning!

• Public
Started by Vanitha Govini 19 Mar 2014 5:56pm () Replies (2)

We are exploring 6 key themes of future oriented teaching and learning in a South Auckland school. This research has been commissioned by Ministry to develop a vision of what future-oriented education could look like for New Zealand.

http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-resources/NZC-Updates/Issue-26-October-2012

What does personalising learning in Mathematics look like at your school? 

Replies

• Diane Mills (View all users posts) 02 Apr 2014 11:15am ()

I received an email from the Langwitches Blog this morning which linked into a comment by my bright quick thinking 7 year old granddaughter who commented that Maths was so hard.  Why is that I wonder - an experience so many students face.  Dan Meyer's challenge to make maths lessons more meaningful is definitely a first step and helps students see where the learning fits in the real world, why it might be important to know and more importantly his use of videos shows in 3D what the problem looks like.  

We need to allow students to behave like mathematicians.  Real mathematicians play with ideas, try many avenues, test each solution to see if it is the best fit.  They don't get the right answer straight away.  Someone made the comment that FAIL actually stands for first attempt in learning - I like that, students should be encouraged to try things and not feel inadequate if they don't get the right answer, we need students to be able to persevere, to try to find solutions from different angles and to know that this is all part of being a mathematician.  

Technology allows students to share their learning and the steps they are taking in their mathematics.  Students should be able to talk about and share the problem they are working on, to share the key vocabularly associated with the problem and the process they have used to find a solution.  Using the collaborative powers of technology students can then invite others to contribute their solutions and process and critique each method to choose a best fit most efficient solution.  

Getting students to work together on a problem, allowing students to make some choices about what problem they might want to solve all gives ownership back to the student helping them build the confidence so many students lack in mathematics.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.