Search

Apple Configurator Errors

• Public
Started by Kirsty 17 Mar 2014 10:01pm () Replies (6)

Hi everyone

I have 130+ iPads that I am in charge of updating at school and I am running into a number of issues which stop the iPad from updating correctly.  I am also losing paid apps.  Firstly when i go to connect the iPad to the computer with configurator it wont let me and says the device is unable to connect.  The only way I have managed to get around this is by reseting and erasing all content on the iPad.  The second problem is I am continously getting the error code 5306 which says that it wants me to enter the itunes password.  I have got around this by closing configurator and reopening it.  My last issue I have spent hours on the phone to apple about.  I get the error code 9517 and it says that the app cannot be redeemed.  This I cannot solve.  Apple has sent me more codes to replace the lost ones but then the next time I update it happens again.  Has anyone come across this before?  Are people using a different MDM systems?  I am wasting hours and hours because of these issues.  Thanks

Replies

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2014 6:51pm ()

Also any apps which were added manually to an individual I pad have to be deleted on that device if you want to get rid of it as the configurator won't do this, it will only manage the apps put on by the configurator... If that makes sense. :). I have also removed the App Store from all class devices as this keeps things much easier.

• Tash Jacobs (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2014 6:49pm ()

I am also in charge of a large group of I pads.  I have just finished putting them into groups on the configurator and setting up the apps and settings on each group.  Now each team is responsible for their own apps etc.  When I was setting up the system I encountered similar errors to you.  Often if I switched off the 'find my I pad' I could overcome an error, also sometimes I just manually put an app on a random I pad and this seemed to fix the problem for the group.  Not sure if this will help at all... By the way it took hours to set up the system and make sure all devices were in the I cloud so we could track their whereabouts easily.

• Kirsty (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2014 12:47pm ()

Thanks for your comments.  I am a teacher but left school after having a baby and am back 1 day a week as ICT leader.  So far this has purely been to sort our iPad situation.  We have about a 1:4 ratio for our classes Years 0-8.  Some of the issues with the classroom teacher updating and managing the iPads would be we have a very large range in abilities among the staff - some would have no clue how to update them or find new apps they were wanting. The second issue would be the cost in data as having 130 iPads updated seperately would use a lot more data than doing it once through itunes, then through apple configurator?  Correct me if I am wrong with this though.  Are there any MDM systems you would recommend?  I have had Meraki suggested but also read that you should use that along with configurator.  My other option was to wipe configurator and all the ipads and start all over again.  It is useless to me at the moment when the errors occur and I cannot successfully update them anyway.  We did have various itunes accounts used too - I took over this job so it was set up by someone else - I have deleted all the free apps downloaded under the old account though and reinstalled them and this has solved the problem.  

• Peter Eaton (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2014 10:33pm ()

I think you need to reassess the model you are using: one person plugging in 130+ iPads to perform updates using Configurator is not sustainable IMHO.  

You don't mention whether this quantity is for a 1:1 or a shared deployment.  For a 1:1, you need to be making the user responsible for day to day updates.  If it is not, then you have pretty much the worst situation: a large number of iPads being used outside the manner for which they were intended (a personal device).  Putting this aside, a modern MDM is probably a necessity in your situation.  This will have a cost, but it appears so does your current arrangement.   The day-to-day use of this MDM you should know about, but you should not waste your valuable (presumably teaching) time figuring out how to set one up: the process changes all the time and there is no value in you knowing it.  I see this mistake frequently in these forums.

Pete

• Steve (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2014 10:13pm ()

Kia ora. I have been put in charge of all 140 ipads at my school. The best thing I did was to share the admin and restriction codes including downloading new apps and made all teachers accountable for updating their own class set. Saved me mega hours. It also gave the junior classes more flexibility with the apps they used at lower levels. One of the biggest issues affecting us was over the years certain pads must have been loaded with apps under different administrative codes which stuffed up the bulk updates when using our Docking stations. If your not careful they will delete. Now I only deal with the ones teachers cant figure out maybe 1 a month. As a team we also share how we use the apps on a collective google doc. Together Everyone Achieves More TEAM.

Nga mihi

Join this group to contribute to discussions.