Search

Flip Cameras / Moviemaker

• Public
Started by Heather Harper 17 Mar 2014 12:47pm () Replies (5)

We have some flip cameras at school and have been creating some video clips ,however really frustrating when we try to import into movie Maker as it does not support mP4 so we have to convert themto AVI using an online converter before they will go in.

Two Questions:

What is a good cheap HD camera to buy /use for making vids and importing into Movie Maker to edit?

Is there a good online, free video editor tha will support our flip cameras?

Replies

• Brett (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2014 1:18pm ()

SUPER is a great free converter you can download to get the .avi and virtualdub does movies (but not mp4 I think).  http://www.erightsoft.com/GetFile.php?SUPERsetup.exe

• Brett (View all users posts) 18 Mar 2014 2:07pm ()

also found this explanation for videos.. I think its useful and sortof related. I use the application it mentions myself!

"So how do you convert your video so it will play on different devices? This is a question we get all the time, and there are several answers, depending on your situation.

what if you want videos that download in your apps as well? They key is that you need to 'encode' your video in a format that is friendly to all systems. The encoding is different to the file format and this makes for a confusing situation, so I'm not going to get into the technicalities, just show you how to get it going. The encoding needs to be H.264 and the best format is MP4.

So how do you get your videos into this format? There are plenty of programs out there, but one we use here that is very good, and FREE is called HandBrake. HandBrake is an open-source, GPL-licensed, multiplatform, multithreaded video transcoder, available for MacOS X, Linux and Windows.

We won't go into a 'how-to-with-handbrake' as it's pretty simple with pre-set configuration options, the one you want to use is 'Universal' it's the first one in the list. Select your file and click start - it doesn’t get much easier! "

• Hammy (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2014 3:25pm ()

Handbrake only outputs MKV and MP4 file format, so I don't think it is workable for OP ("however really frustrating when we try to import into movie Maker as it does not support mP4").

Windows Movie Maker reads .wmv and .avi format well, I prefer to use wmv, as it is a format developed by Microsoft.

As for video encoding, I suggest you use something like AppGeeker video converter, I have ever used it, and works well on my computer.

http://www.appgeeker.com/how-to/convert-wmv-to-mp4-mac.html

It converts just everything to everything, and has preset option to convert videos for movie maker.

• Heather Harper (View all users posts) 19 Mar 2014 3:38pm ()

Yes Hammy That is the issue that Movie maker does not support mP4. Thanks for the options. Still wondering about what vid cams to purchase so \i dont have this issue. I like to concentrate on good video techniques and camera techniques sometimes,so still like the idea of students using a proper hand held camera.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions... I tend to purchase from noel leemings as tehy give such great education prices for technologies.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

e-Learning: Technologies

e-Learning: Technologies

Where we explore how different technologies can support learning.