Search

LEARNZ and gifted education

• Public
Started by Leone 17 Mar 2014 12:12pm () Replies (2)

I am using LEARNZ field trips as enrichment experiences in my role as Leader for gifted education for Year 2, 3 and 4 in my low decile school. I am working with 14 teachers on extending their top end children in literacy. I am using an enrichment model for this and find the LEARNZ field trips fit the purpose very well. Few of my teachers have had any PD on gifted education and many are unsure what they need to look out for and how to begin working with gifted children. Through using the field trips, we have together been able to identify children who need extension who do not show up in the data - for ESOL and other reasons. The O Tu Wharekai field trip gave me a lot of opportunity to model effective differentiation as well. We found the videos especially useful as they are short - so we can watch them more than once to allow ESOL students more opportunity to access the information - they are interesting and it was easy to create differentiated tasks to go with the videos. The topic also had a lot of scope for sparking personal inquiries for the students.

Replies

• Jo Dudley (View all users posts) 17 Mar 2014 2:25pm ()

I have used LEARNZ extensively in the past for gifted children and have found it an ideal programme which can be differentiated to all ends of the scale from the very gifted to ESOL to children with learning needs in the same ways you have mentioned. I found for ESOL and children who struggle with reading that the images with the captions generated a wealth of discussion and information for these children. I adapted Renzulli's (gifted) model with its three "types" of learning to learning through LEARNZ with Type 1 being the information gathering, Type 2 being accessing and using the technologies used through LEARNZ  and Type 3 being investigating real problems in real time and place. I also found through using the Lane Clarke questioning "keys" we were able to generate high level questions for audioconferences and the web board.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

LEARNZ

LEARNZ

Teacher area for LEARNZ free virtual field trips for NZ schools