Search

Raising achievement for below students in Reading and Writing.

• Public
Started by Amy Millar 11 Mar 2014 4:52pm () Replies (3)

So I've recently become the head of Literacy of our school. We want to raise the achievement of children in years 2 - 8 who are below in reading and the achievement of children in years 6 - 8 who are below in writing. What are you doing that is working?

Replies

• Jill Hammonds (View all users posts) 11 Mar 2014 5:22pm ()

Hi Amy,

I have worked with lots of schools re raising student achievement in reading and writing, and compiled ideas and resources around this at the Blended e-Learning Literacy VLN site.  You might like to check these out and get in touch with me if there is anything you want to discuss further.

• Barrie Matthews (View all users posts) 13 Mar 2014 2:20pm ()

Hi Amy

Some education web sites are well designed so reading is not a total barrier and students can interact with them. By using sound, images and video students can become more motivated to drill down and read. Also, every smart phone has some sort of free text-to-speech app that can assist emerging readers - just highlight any word or sentence, then press-and-hold to get an option to hear it.

At LEARNZ, we are working to improve the accessibility of our material for all students. I invite you to have a look at LEARNZ as a reading resource which is under the Support section of LEARNZ.

This is also explained on the VLN under LEARNZ field trips as a reading resource.

Hope this helps and feel free to contact me directly.

Barrie

Join this group to contribute to discussions.