Whakawhanaungatanga - Getting to know our learners

It’s the start of the year, which usually means a whole new class of students to teach. Who are they exactly? Where do they come from each morning? What spins their wheels and makes them individual? What preferences do they have for learning? Who is their family/whānau/fanau and what do we know about their whakapapa? 

Teachers do well to observe students’

• needs and interests
  • challenges obstacles and distractions
  • peers and relationships
  • parents
Whanau

Teachers make powerful connections between home and school, with opportunities for children to; draw/paint family portraits, write about themselves and others, or bring along items/stories/photos from home to share. All the while, new data is being gathered to provide an overview of learner skills, knowledge and needs.

It may take a little longer to get to each child/young person's

• experiences and realities
  • goals and aspirations
  • learning preferences (larger font, group work, standing desks)
  • history and culture

Professor Professor Brian Edmiston talks about the power of polyphonic (between many) learning conversations as well as, ‘connecting to storytelling as a genuine tool for understanding.’ Through quality conversations, teachers can and do discover what influences, motivates and inspires students from all different perspectives and world views.

One way to find out more about our learners, is to invite tamariki to create and share their mihi or pepeha (Māori, Pacific or other).

http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Beyond-the-classroom/Engaging-with-the-community/Engaging-through-technologies/Sharing-a-mihi 

What do you do in your classroom to get to know your learners and future leaders? Can technology help?

Maybe we could compile a shared resource, on ways we get to know our learners? We’d love for you to share one tip/trick/image/video clip.

Want to know more?

Image modified using Creative Commons.

Replies

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 06 Nov 2017 3:35pm ()

What’s in a name? A lot. The history, the power and the gifting of a name can be so much more than we first perceive. The messages from Brittany Paknett, have some real power and punch when thinking about our own students - especially those with names we might not understand or have trouble pronouncing. The words we choose can either be empowering or affirm a deficit model for some of our learners.

Keynote speaker - Brittany Packnett

If you’re wanting to find incremental steps to help your Māori students experience and experience success as Māori, there’s some gems worth considering in this short video from Alex Hotere-Barnes.

Is there any part of these short clips that speak to you in some way?

• Nathaniel Louwrens (View all users posts) 06 Mar 2015 3:10pm ()

On 3 March, we held a webinar with Phoebe Fabricius on Whakawhanaungatanga - Getting to know our learners.

Watch the webinar recording here >>>

View the slideshow here:

Enabling e-Learning online facilitator, Tessa Gray, got things started by highlighting some of the things we want to know about our learners.

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 4.59.45 PM.png

Tessa linked this with Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and the new Inclusive Education site, highlighting the range of incredible resources available here.

Screen Shot 2015-03-03 at 4.54.48 PM.png

A range of other resources to support our priority learners and how we can get to know them were also shared:

Phoebe shared about her experiences with students in Auckland and her personal approach to getting to know her learners.

She found the following documents important:

She also looked at the NZ Curriculum and needed to work out how to get her students to be high performing TRUMPers (thinking; relating to others; understanding language, symbols and text; managing self; participating and contributing).

Within the physical space Phoebe wanted the students to treat the classroom as their home.

• walls of the classroom were covered in pasifika materials

• the way we treat each other

• started to disband group work - wanted them to work as one

• activities had to be differentiated

• giving the chn experiences and options to learn by themselves and/or together

• pecking order (what about the schools graduate profile? whānau aspirations?)

She also had high expectations and many expectations for her students. Every term she took her class on an excursion and gave them real life experiences.

Phoebe shared several stories about her experiences with students. Watch the recording to hear them.

Watch the webinar recording here >>>

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 24 Feb 2015 3:15pm ()

On the 3rd March, we’ll be hosting a FREE webinar on, “Whakawhanaungatanga - Getting to know our learners.” This is something near and dear to all of our hearts as teachers. Take a look at this movie, Learning How to Know Your Students - Discovering Differences to Teach Them - 1950's (originally posted here).

This old clip from the 1950’s demonstrates the power of learning conversations between the learner/teacher/s and whānau beautifully. So what’s changed here? Teaching in a New Zealand context means our students come from a rich diversity of cultural, social and economic backgrounds. Each year is different, so how do we get to know our learners and their families/whānau - to best meet their learning needs and how can digital technologies help? 

Ko wai mātou - Who are we?

Photo cloud There’s a few good icebreaker activities that are designed to let you and your class find out about each other. For example, there's a circle activity that encourages learners to share a little bit about what they know, love and do. Each time the person speaks they hold a ball of wool or string and then passes it on to the next speaker in the circle. Similarly, learner profiles (posters, photos, word cloud generators) can be displayed in the classroom and strips of paper used to show connections between students. These activities illustrate webs, networks, relationships, whanaungatanga and highlight a sense of individuality and community.

A group of three students can create a venn diagram together using circles or hoops. Hobbies, interests, skills/strengths, learning preferences can be written on stickies and added to a circle, any similarities can be resorted and collected in the interlocking parts of the venn diagram. Commonalities of all three, can finally be added to the centre of the venn diagram. Photographs of this activity can be used as evidence to gather data on learners or collaborative tools (Google docs, Padlet) can be used to capture this information digitally.

What do we want to know about our learners?

We might like to find out:

• the importance of a name
    • family and whānau influences, beliefs, values
    • geographic, historical location
    • culture, language, identity
    • experiences, interests
    • strengths, needs
    • learning preferences as well as barriers to learning
    • goals and aspirations

This information can be gathered in rich conversations between learners and/or learners and teachers. Questionnaires can be used to collect data from students or whānau, possibly as Google Form.

Learner profiles can be crafted into posters or become part of blog posts or e-portfolios. Other adventurous ways of capturing important information includes archiving interviews as voice recordings or videos.

Tēnei au |This is me

Screenshot taken from http://technology.tki.org.nz/Resources/Teaching-snapshots/Middle-Years-7-10/Tenei-au-This-is-me

Tēnei au: This is me

Giving students an opportunity to share their mihi is a valuable experience that highlights the value of culture, language and identity. Catriona Pene shares the purpose and value of digital mihi in this blog post, Digital Mihi - creating a connection. There’s a variety of technologies (animation, movie) that can be used to capture a digital mihi, for example, see How to create, write, edit and present a digital mihi using Tellagami. Digital mihi can be shared within and beyond the classroom (Sharing a mihi video from Enabling e-Learning).

Having a clear strategy in your school for supporting Māori and Pasifika learners is also valuable. Frameworks like the Māori achieving success as Māori matrix can help teachers, school and community identify specific competencies in Tātaiako - Cultural competencies for teachers of Māori learners to help raise achievement for Māori. Similarly, strategies to get to know your Pasifika learners is equally important in a culturally responsive, inclusive classroom.

So what, now what?

One key take-a-way….after finding out about our learners, is... how do use the information, to help hook them in, meet their diverse needs and reach their maximum potential for learning?

If you’re familiar with the Universal Design for Learning, you’ll be aware of the three primary brain networks and the principles that guide designing learning for individual differences. One online resource provides an interactive resource that helps to analyse the strengths, needs and interest of individuals (Learner profile) and then creates a bigger picture of the class profile as a whole. Find out more here >>>While educators can drive this process, some kura develop their curriculum by implementing the aspirations and desires of the parents. The vision and values then become cornerstones of the 'graduate profile'. 

Want to investigate ways to use individual information about your students to impact on their learning? Then look no further than the Ministry of Education's new website, Inclusive Education. It's a fantastic place to start.

“This site provides New Zealand educators with practical strategies, suggestions and resources to support learners with diverse needs."

I have especially enjoyed navigating my way through the drop-down menu items that flow easily and logically from each other. I also enjoyed watching this movie from Linda Ojala where she describes how she uses the information she has learned about her learners - to create an inclusive culture for learning.

Inclusive culture of learning

http://inclusive.tki.org.nz/guides/developing-an-inclusive-classroom-culture/

Individualised learning, strengths based approach, honoring language, culture and identity, using technologies….Want to know more? Join us on Tuesday, 3rd March, when Phoebe Fabricius talks more about her experiences of teaching priority learners (Pasifika, special learning needs) in Auckland and we touch on strategies and resources that help to create an inclusive learning classroom.

Images sources: Wikipedia and H Mortimore, C Curragh

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 19 Feb 2015 10:08am ()

Kia ora tatou, some of you may be interested in the up-coming FREE webinar:

Smile WEBINAR: Whakawhanaungatanga - Getting to know our learners, March 3rd, 3.45-4.45pm 

Who's just walked through your classroom door? Teaching in a New Zealand context means our students come from a rich diversity of cultural, social and economic backgrounds. Each year is different, so how do you get to know your learners and their families/whānau to best meet their needs and how can digital technologies help? 

Come join Phoebe Fabricius (Te Toi Tupu) as we share some practical ideas for getting to know our learners better. This webinar will also have UDL (Universal Design for Learning) focus. A support discussion will feature In the Enabling e-Learning | Teaching group. Hosted in Adobe Connect with Tessa GrayREGISTER NOW!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 02 Apr 2014 11:49am ()

Thank you both for this sharing. Smile

Moana, your comments are very stirring. I can see how at the heart of the matter, it's all about caring and cherishing each other, feeling respected and valued. This is not something that only happens at home. School is an extension of home. Relationships matter.

Roimata, your idea about bringing home into the classroom, is an important one. I also imagine this form of sharing via multi-media methods, would suit most (if not all) learning preferences. Using collaborative tools like Padlet for daily pānui/pēpeha, also provides a voice for those students, who may not always feel comfortable talking in front of others.

This reminds me of a couple of the themes in, Supporting future-oriented learning & teaching — a New Zealand perspective, which elaborates on Personalising Learning (much like Heather Eccles has in the blog post you shared Moana) and “Changing the script”: Rethinking learners’ and teachers’ roles which,

“…calls for a greater focus on recognising and working with learners’ strengths, and thinking about what role teachers can play in supporting the development of every learner’s potential." (p.9)

It also relates to the two sub-themes in this paper as well, which makes references to the role of current and emerging technologies and the role of collaborative practices. Each of these themes and sub-themes provide an insight into, “resetting the boundaries of educational possibilities.” Well worth a read.

Both your stories also remind me of one of the guiding principles in Ka HikitiaAko, which focuses on the teaching/learning relationship between the teacher and the student - as a two-way process.

“Ako is grounded in the principle of reciprocity and also recognises that students and their whānau cannot be separated.”

Universal Design for Learning principles also highlight the need for inclusive practices for all students. 

These references to theory and pedagogy, are always enriched by what this could and does look like. Check out these two videos on culturally responsive and inclusive practices from Enabling e-Learning. 

Online resources supporting te reo and tikanga Māori

Customising access to learning at high school: a student/teacher partnership.

How do these videos speak to you?

For more on Future-focused learning and teaching, see Enabling e-Learning in TKI.

Also see, Make the most of your digital tools so everyone has a fair crack at learning

• Roimata Baker (View all users posts) 01 Apr 2014 9:09pm ()

Pēpeha is a daily if not weekly practice at our kura.  I have used the Padlet app to encourage our students to add to their pēpeha.  This tool allows them to create wonderful visual presentations using video and document links, adjectives, nouns etc all of which allow us to show the sometimes hidden aspects of ourselves. These words are often arranged into shapes such as hearts or patterns.  Trailers of favourite films, books and songs are very popular as well.  Much more interactive than a wordle, they love making and sharing them with each other.

• Moana Timoko (View all users posts) 01 Apr 2014 9:37am ()

Kia ora - This is a link to a post by NZ Lead - Notes from Heather Eccles about Personalising Learning.

Heather provides some really good explanations and examples of what Personalised Learning is all about. For me this is Whakawhanaungatanga – a process of getting to know your learners, and then knowing your learners. I agree with what she's written about supporting the holistic development of the learner – taking the time to nurture their holistic being.

Her post made me think about the impact you have on students when you actually take the time to show you care. Apologies in advance now for sharing about myself and my experiences but I receive meaningful facebook messages from ex-students, or see some of them on the street now and again – What they tend to mention most is the manaakitanga (hospitality or kindness – the caring) and the hari hari days (happy, happy days) – They don’t mention much about what they learnt, the content stuff…but more about the time I took to get to know them – They remember the little extra things like handing over a spare dollar or two whilst ordering my own lunch from the tuckshop, bringing in the odd treats (food) to class, cracking dry jokes now and again, outrageously breaking into song to cheer everyone up…or to at least gain some laughs, reading the signs – knowing when things just aren’t right, knowing when a child may just need a little time out, or a little supportive pep talk, speaking up in support of a student – on their behalf if needed…the little things which are probably the REAL BIG things. Knowing when a child is ready to move on, or when they’re needing more support.

When I think about this even more I offer a few questions:

If you were to see some of your past students in the future - How would they remember you?

If passing them in the street - Will they stop to talk to you, or ignore you? 

As adults, as parents - Will they introduce you to their children, their families?

Personalised Learning for me is about getting to know your learners and knowing how they roll. 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.