Search

Collaborative teaching in a single cell environment

Started by Katie Hebden 05 Mar 2014 8:34pm () Replies (6)

This may be similar to other posts but we don't have a fancy flexible learning space. 

Like many schools, we are currently exploring MLPs within our school. I am in a Year 5 setting with two other teachers and there are 80 students between us. Our setting is very traditional with single cell classrooms but we are trying the collaborative approach. Has/is anyone trialled this and have any advice they can offer?

Thanks,

Katie

Replies

• fiona hawes (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2014 8:56pm ()

Hi Katie

Collaborative teaching is a focus across our school - starting from this year.

We have one "flexible learning space" in Year3/4 and the rest of our school is generally traditonal single cell classrooms.  The big push across our school  is to work in teams to have a collective responsibility for all students in our care.  We are aiming to have open and frank dialogue as teams where we talk about target groups of students, their learning needs and the successes and road blocks we are having in meeting those learning needs.  Some teams are working to utlise expertise within the team and students can have a variety of teachers within their school day.

All of this is tied into our appriasial process and teaching as inquiry.  All very early days at this stage and I am very interested to follow this thread too.

Pointers: One thing I have seen in use that is working well is the use of google docs for collaborative planning, assessemtn etc   Create time to have rich dialogue with colleagues - serious amounts of time must be allocated for this, especially with new teams of teachers working together.  

Regards

fiona

• Ruth Vercoe (View all users posts) 18 Dec 2014 10:35am ()

Hi Fiona,

Would you be able to share any of your google docs planning/assessment formats with me? I'm moving from NE/Y1 to year 3/4 for the first time, and we are having a hole made in the wall over the holidays, so anything to help me get my head in the game would be great!

Thanks, Ruth

ruth.vercoe@riccartonprimary.school.nz

• Katie Hebden (View all users posts) 05 Mar 2014 9:22pm ()

Thanks Fiona!

Time is something that we are definitely prioritising. It has been an eye opener about the lack of independence so we have had to make a lot of adjustments!

Will be interesting to follow everyones journeys.

Katie

• Paulette Newton (View all users posts) 18 Dec 2014 9:44am ()

Hi Katie,

I am currently teaching a Year 3/4 class and have been working with 2 other teachers. We have taken the wall out between 2 classrooms (open space that was the cloakroom)  and are managing 3 classes in this 'new' learning space. We have played around with using the other classroom (not joined) as break out room but at times this reverted to us teaching as though we were in a single cell.

For us the main focus has been on establishing effective systems which need to really tight. We used the Daily 5 as our literacy model. However, we are in the process of reviewing our programmes to give more autonomy to our kids, integrating more ICT (used Edmodo which was very powerful)  and taking more smaller target learning groups instead of the traditional whole class  approach. For us our 2015 journey will be close monitoring of all students- no easy task with 87 children! We all use google docs to plan and assess and this system is working really well. 

For me personally, I love the dialogue I am able to have about students. I'd love to hear how you are going in your collaborative journey too!

Paulette

• Ruth Vercoe (View all users posts) 18 Dec 2014 10:36am ()

Hey Paulette,

I just asked Fiona too, but would you be able to share any of your google docs planning/assessment formats with me? I'm moving from NE/Y1 to year 3/4 for the first time, and we are having a hole made in the wall over the holidays, so anything to help me get my head in the game would be great!

Thanks, Ruth

ruth.vercoe@riccartonprimary.school.nz

Join this group to contribute to discussions.