Search

Reading activities

• Public
Started by Lisa 03 Mar 2014 9:38am () Replies (4)

Hi everyone

I work in an MLE , with 3 classes, 3 teachers. We are looking for some more ideas for independent reading activities - we have done a number of Blooms /Thinking tools activities which have been highly successful, but we need to provide them with something different. Some of these students we are on to the 3rd year with, so we need to constantly provide students with motivation . We use journals, novels, and anything else we can get our hands on. Any ideas would be super . Thanks

Replies

• Annemarie Hyde (View all users posts) 03 Mar 2014 9:52am ()

Have you looked at Daily 5 reading? There is a book by Donalyn Miller and I'm sure a lot online. Caroline Bush uses it - as does someone at Tawa Intermediate.

• Shem Banbury (View all users posts) 03 Mar 2014 10:00am ()

I am a little biased but you could use the Kiwi Kids News website - it is a site I run.

Each article has a set of tabs below it with a variety of questions / activites

We also do a weekly feature article which has a real 'thinking' aspect to it. 

If you would like me to look at developing something on the website let me know and we could work together. I am a teacher myself so want the site to be used and be helpful to teachers

• Andrew Penny (View all users posts) 04 Mar 2014 10:05am ()

Hi Lisa

LEARNZ virtual field trips has a vast range of field trip websites with plenty of reading material and related activities. This is a free "resource" and when you register you can set students up with their own username and password so they can also access the site at home if needed. Any field trip can be accessed retrospectively. Check it out and feel free to contact us on the teacher freephone 0800 22 55 53image0800 22 55 53 for further information.

Thanks

Andrew

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Join this group to contribute to discussions.