Minecraft Edu costs

Started by CraigMcD 27 Feb 2014 6:57am () Replies (15)

Hi everyone, new to the group! Is anyone using minecraft Edu at school? I'm interested in the costs and what this allows. My biggest frustration is having students' work griefed by anonymous users... Maybe the Edu set up enables us to avoid this?? Love to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• Melanie Riwai-Couch (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2014 9:27am ()

I too would like to hear feedback - we are looking to use Minecraft Edu for this reason so would be good to hear how it is working in other settings.  Thanks

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2014 10:41am ()

Hi, I have not used MinecraftEdu myself, just regular Minecraft. I would be interested to find out more, too. I follow Joel Levin on twitter (@MinecraftTeachr) but his tweets mainly relate to happenings in the States, but maybe you are interested in that anyway?

Many thanks for raising the topic! Monika

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2014 11:12am ()

I just went through some of the older discussion posts, Carol Kendall has used it and here is a link to the blog she wrote at the time.

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2014 11:14am ()

I am using Minecraft EDU at our primary school, and think it's great. Right now I don't have time to respond more fully, but will do so tonight or tomorrow.

• Stephen Knightly (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2014 11:17am ()

Last year I had a few conversations with people about establishing some form of NZ Schools Shared Minecraft server.  It could be configured for constructive and education uses (eg, no griefing), but also allow schools/students nationwide to collaborate on projects.  

Other bonuses were reduced IT administration, easy configuration of key mods, and ability for students to log-in remotely from home.  We had feedback that in many cases the Minecraft server was a rogue server on a school network only accessible during lunchtime 'Minecraft Club' sessions - when the students were using it differently at home.  There was discussion at the time that this would be an ideal service enabled by N4L network and portal.

If there is enough interest there is a good local Minecraft host who could come on board to offer it as a service, and we might have a potential sponsor. Our key questions are how much would you pay for such a service, what key mods/features would you like?  

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2014 12:00pm ()

Great of you, Stephen, to revive that debate around a shared server. I am very keen to get the whole #gamelearnz discussion more active, and Minecraft is a very important part of this at the moment. If we would establish the level of interest in the NZ education community for a shared MC server and (provided there is sufficient interest) set one up, and then spread the word how gamification could enhance education, others would probably jump on board, too. Just wondering how we could best survey the interest?

To make use of 'your' local host's server, what requirements are needed - proximity in location or nationwide, a particular type of internet connection required, what equipment needed at the school? What kind of services could be offered? Would all schools work int he same world, or would there be different worlds depending on requirements? Would you think of disabling griefing etcl or have a moderator monitor? What approx. cost would you envisage that the host would have to have covered by participating schools?

Many thanks! Monika

• Jody Garland (View all users posts) 25 Mar 2014 7:08pm ()

Very interested in this also. Maybe schools could be working in their own worlds intially, then collaborating on specific projects in the same world with other schools? I also don't want to set myself up for constant monitoring of their actions online, so may want a moderated site or the server to only be available for certain times. 

Very interested to see how this could work. Would appreciate any other information on Minecraft in school, specifically the management of servers and worlds...

• Sharron Gray (View all users posts) 26 Mar 2014 9:40am ()

Hi we use minecraft edu in school, it is only available in the two IT rooms. We operate only whne we need it for lessons and have a group of senior students who run it at lunchtimes for the students. We have a small but active minecraft club. The students have set the rules around the use at lunchtimes and we have only had a couple of instances of students who have abused it. Funny thing was we did not need to take action, the students told them to leave and if they would not play nicely not to come back. We are in our second year now, purchased minecraft edu and 25 licenses.

We use it in our year 9 program with a unit based on the key competencies. Can share more if interested.

• CraigMcD (View all users posts) 27 Feb 2014 2:51pm ()

Great to see all these responses, learning lots! Looking forward to hearing more about how Minecraft can work in the classroom, rather than being a source of frustration!

• Carol Kendall (View all users posts) 02 Mar 2014 7:09pm ()

My apologies for the delay in replying to Craig's original questions. Around this time last year, I purchased MinecraftEDU for 15 users at school. It is installed on 14 of the Macbook Pros in our laptop pod, and the Server is on an iMac in our teacher workroom. I have 'hidden' the Minecraft on the Macbooks, just so it's not right in students' faces, but they can find it if they have a mind to. And the group of 12 students I worked with last year do know how to find it. If I Quit out of Minecraft on the Server, they cannot play MinecraftEDU. So, it only ran for a couple of hours each week during our session.

I found EDU a great version to use for beginners (ie ME), and there is a lot you can lock down. But you can't really stop 'griefing'. Students want all the features that they have available when they play at home, but you can limit a number of things. It's great to be able to freeze all players!

We did find the software a bit buggy at times, students timing out and having to re-enter the game. We have a RUCKUS network and ultrafast broadband, but I don't want the children playing online from the school. My MInecraftEDU server would not be available anyway. I did consider looking at externally hosted MinecraftEDU servers, but didn't want that network traffic and other issues. But there are some advantages of external hosting and a number are setting up. I do remember there being a server of some sort that I could have joined, with others in NZ (but am clueless now as to what that was, and I think it MAY have been an EDU server). I didn't want the additional fees of joining an external server.

I think if you're getting started, you'd be wise to host your own Server within the school. As you will read in my Springston Minecrafters Blog, the students developed their own Charter for playing, and I only had 12 students to work with - they had to do an application. On one occasion a student was caught out once too often by his peers, and was forced to withdraw for the agreed number of sessions. It had a dramatic affect.

I think EDU is a great piece of software for schools, and is much cheaper than buying the game directly. I can't remember all the details now, it's too long ago, and I haven't played for two terms (being away overseas for a fair period of time, and then we were into Term 4 and too busy with other things). I haven't started yet this year, wanting students to settle into classes (I'm not in my own classroom). I'm having students coming up to me every day I'm at school, asking when I'm going to start Minecraft again. But this time I want to 'borrow' a class and work with students that way - probably with a focus on Maths. I do have one teacher interested. And I'm running a session after school this Wednesday, for teachers who want to have a play and see what the fuss is all about.

I had intended to play Minecraft over the holidays, but never managed it - too much else going on. So, I haven't made any progress in my own understanding, and have forgotten a lot since the end of Term 3 last eyar. Nevertheless, I am hooked on this way of teaching and want to find out more. I've joined a Coursera MOOC course on Gamification, and although I'm not doing the essays, I am loving the lectures and the understanding I'm gaining about this potentially powerful way of learning.

• Steve (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2014 10:42pm ()

I cannot believe the difference Minecraft PE for ipads has made for my class. Each pad becomes its own server and kids can work in groups of five. It is easy to control who has access to the lands they have created and has provided numerous opportunities for children to construct structures they have been researching. The way children interact is amazing. Our school logo "rich in skills rich in belief" is echod through the work they do on craft. Children have redefined what they have made by sharing what they have created via Taligami, explain everything, imovies and airserve. I also have fun building structures and children access my ipad and explore in awe some things i have built. It allows me to model possibilities which cross all kinds curriculum subjects mainly science and technology. Dare to dream!

• flowin (View all users posts) 01 Apr 2014 2:00pm ()

we've got minecrasft running wihtout any cost.

we installed bukkit server 1.5.2, with authme plugin, multiworlds, multiinv, plotme and various other cosmetic plugins. a minecraft 1.5.2 client can then connect to our local server without needing to spend a cent.

happy to assist with anyone who wants to try 

authme: requires passwords
    plotme: creative worlds with protected plots that cannot be griefed
    multiinv: prevents inventory cheating 

• joleneb (View all users posts) 28 Feb 2015 12:34pm ()

I am looking at setting things up within my school. I would love it if there was a server already set up for use in NZ schools......where is this at currently?

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 27 Mar 2015 4:22pm ()

Hi joleneb,

if you want to get in touch with Annemarie Hyde, she usually has her finger on the pulse of what is happening in regards to Minecraft in NZ classrooms. 

Cheers, Monika

Join this group to contribute to discussions.