Search

Flash Browser for iPads - what works best with a school's filter system? Puffin, Photon, Rover ....?

Started by Buffy T 20 Feb 2014 9:36pm () Replies (6)

Hiya,

I am a 1:1 iPad class teacher.  We have just started our tech journey and would like to recommend a flash enabled browser to our parents to purchase.  I have downloaded Puffin and found this to be fast and quite seamless in comparison to the Photon flash browser which I find clumsy and sluggish.

Our school has a proxy server with filters and we are concerned that the Puffin has a 17+ rating and does not filter the content and I have found research that the Puffin bypasses proxy server settings.  Is anyone using this browser in their schools and if so how does it sync with your proxy servers?  What can you suggest?  We would like to find a broswer to use Study Ladder and Tutpup and other flash enabled content sites.

Replies

• Matthew Thomas (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2014 10:10pm ()

Hi -

I think the most obvious answer to this is to get some Macs for your room as well as iPads. iPads don't run flash by design.  Any app that emulates the flash experience on an iPad is going to be a sub standard user experience for students.  At our school we see this as a potential advantage, in that teachers students are pushed more towards creating content with their iPads, rather than playing games or practising skills through points based systems.

Good luck on your search!

• Buffy T (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2014 10:24pm ()

We have 1 mac and 1 chromebook.  Thanks for your advice Smile

• Nicky Clark (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2014 10:41pm ()

We use Puffin and have done for the past year. It works well with Study Ladder, e-asttle, Sunshine Online and Reading Eggs, as well as all the other Flash games we use. It does however bypass our security, but we have had no problem so far with students abusing this! We haven't told them that it does bypass security and continually discuss internet safety! Watchdog do provide a service that does block inappropriate content from Internet browsers such as Puffin, but it's not part of the service provided free from Ministry!

• Coral2 (View all users posts) 21 Feb 2014 8:43am ()

Rover doesn't support mathletics any more. But we find Puffin great.

• Ross Hampton (View all users posts) 21 Feb 2014 9:26am ()

...Although there are Android and IOS apps for Mathletics so no need for a browser any more.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.