Search

How are you going to engage parents of Pasifika learners at your school?

• Public
Started by Aiono Manu Faaea-Semeatu 04 Feb 2014 8:50pm () Replies (2)

It's a new year at your school, some of your school buildings might have received a makeover in the holidays or even your classroom.

In the spirit of renewal and taking action this year - what do you think you will do differently to engage the parents, families and communities of Pasifika learners?

What I have found as a teacher, is that Pasifika learners may not necessarily have Pasifika parents - one parent may be Pākeha/Palagi/Papa'ā and the other parent is of Pasifika descent.  Yet the non-Pasifika parent wants to connect with the school, but is afraid of not being able to engage because they may not fit society's view or initial perception of what parents of Pasifika learners look like.

So the question is two-fold:

1) Can you please share - how will you engage parents of Pasifika learners at your school, especially if they are non-Pasifika? and

2) If the strategies you have tried in the past have not worked to engage Pasifika parents - what will you change in your approach to this new school year?  Maybe you have a wishlist of what you think should happen in your school.

Please share :-)

Replies

• Jacinta Loto (View all users posts) 17 Feb 2014 9:15pm ()

Hi Manu,

A belated Happy New Year.

Your post has got me thinking that yes...absolutely... the demographic of our Pasifika students is changing. In the school community that I work in, we have a sizeable number of students whose parents were born in NZ.  This particular group adds another dimension to the way we as a school connect with the community. We are part of an initiative which begins this year, with a staff member meeting with the parents of all our Year 0-3 students.  The meeting place being at the discretion of the parent. 

Going to our parents (home visits, sports events), rather than our parents having to come to us (parent interviews, meetings etc) I hope will make a difference this year. For the most part although its said many a time, I really do think the relational aspect is really important.  

Hopefully others will be able to share.

All the best in the coming year.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

Shifting the minds of our Pasifika parents

Shifting the minds of our Pasifika parents

We look forward to hearing from you about any burning questions that you have so we can work together in order to raise the achievement of our Pasifika learners