Search

Whakatu Marae Visit

• Public
Started by Snelly 31 Jan 2014 9:35am () Replies (9)

Please give us your thoughts and feedback on the Whakatu Marae visit...

Replies

• Snelly (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2014 9:46am ()

It was good to visit the Marae and learn what services are available.

Very hospitable and great kai!

Angus' presentation was interesting and informative. I felt a lot of what he said could be applied to all students - things like developing raport, assertiveness, high expectations, feedback and marking, knowing the learner, etc. It seemed to me that good teachers do these things and that they will also help Maori student achievement/engagement.

Looking forward to progressing in this initiative.

(Lots of comfy chairs/beanbags might have helped my back though!)

• Michaelbreingan (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2014 9:48am ()

Good to hear different perspectives regarding Maori achievement, from Angus, and to have reasonings and explanations expanded upon.

• Kyra W (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2014 9:56am ()

I enjoyed the experience. Great to hear about all the services available for our tamariki and families through the marae. Felt very welcome, yummy kai!

• Lesley Cross (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2014 12:30pm ()

I enjoyed my first visit to the Whakatu Marae and the warm welcome and hospitality that we received. It was good to learn what services are available.

I felt the idea's Angus shared were thought provoking and and practical. I am looking forward to reading his book!

Thanks for great day, with excellent kai and excellent company. 

• sarahd (View all users posts) 06 Feb 2014 12:38am ()

It was a great day. Time constraints given, it was an excellent opportunity to explore the external resources, programmes and support provided by the Marae. Felt very welcomed and that it was a positive experience.

Disappointment of the day was around not having time for the workshops. I think that concepts around ako, kaitiakitanga, turangawaewae, whakatauki (particulalrly localised), whanaungatanga, toanga  and manaakitanga can be better explored with our local Maori whanau if we have a better understanding of the stories, histories and traditions of local Maori and then also, in addition to our local Maori, to have an opportuntity to explore alongisde the Marae leaders how they engage Maori whanau who are from outside the area ( and those form within the area who have not engaged with the Marae) - this is sometimes a barrier for our urban transient Maori students/whanau. (and certainly these people may have a need to access these resources too)

Looking forward to having an opportunity to return to posible workshops - is this a possibility?

Highlight - opportunity to hear Angus. It's always a privelege to hear someone with mana speak. His generosity in sharing chapter 8 of his book much appreciated. 

Toi tu te kupu, toi tu te mana, toi tu te whenua

This proverb was spoken by Tinirau of Wanganui. It is a plead to hold fast to the culture, for without language, without mana (spirit), and without land, the essence of being a Maori would no longer exist, but be a skeleton which would not give justice to the full body of Maoritanga (maoridom).

Our engagement as local educators seems to true to this proverb.

• Isaac Day (View all users posts) 07 Feb 2014 9:07am ()

Thanks for the excellent response Sarah.  I agree that the workshops would have been excellent to follow through... it was a great pity that these were not able to be completed.  I am currently arranging for Angus to return to us, so we may well get another chance to work with him. Smile

• Andrew (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2014 6:07pm ()

I thought it was a great day, one I have been wanting for a long time. All of Whakatu cluster teaching staff at the marae together. Also good to put ourselves 'out there' and deliver a mihi to our peers. It was instructive to see 'where we all were' with that part of our cultural journey.

I also enjoyed listening to Angus and would like to hear more.

I went back and reviewed "Ka Hikitia" and was delighted to find a phrase to take away and link  back to it. "The power of colaboration"

Andrew

• Andrew (View all users posts) 26 Feb 2014 6:18pm ()

Also, I was disappointed with my own mihi.

Maybe we can do this more.

Andrew

Join this group to contribute to discussions.