Search

PDF in google drive then linking to a goggle presentation

• Public
Started by Kararaina Luke 14 Jan 2014 6:21pm () Replies (10)

Hi all, 

I am creating a google presentation  for my team and have a large PDF for reference - reading...43MB... google drive will not allow this.

Can anyone please suggest another way that I could embed - link this PDF doc to my  goggle presentation please??? and or another way to do this?

Replies

• Mark Callagher (View all users posts) 14 Jan 2014 7:15pm ()

Hi, sounds like a rather large PDF. I had a look at the old forums and seen that the Google Drive viewer only allows for up to 25MB (was back in June, now it seems might have expanded to 30MB).

Website http://www.freetech4teachers.com/ uses a range of things to host his PDF's and if you look halfway down you will see he has a PDF called "Digital Storytelling Projects With Comics" embedded from box.net. I checked box.net and dropbox and I would recommend you use box.net free account (10GB) to host your large PDF's for now until Google Drive viewer expands to larger PDF viewing range.

I have just opened an account and uploaded and tested a large pdf myself.

You can share with an open access link on your PDF - be aware that the link is open access but only those with the fairly encrypted link can access the doc. 

There are embedding options also.

I looked at dropbox but their free hosting options aren't as good.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy.

• Kararaina Luke (View all users posts) 16 Jan 2014 1:50pm ()

Hi Mark, thanks for the help. I have since copied the large PDF into box.net and linked to the presentation- it worked.Wink

• Sarah Parker (View all users posts) 14 Jan 2014 7:53pm ()

Youblisher converts PDF's into ebooks that you can flick through and then provides a link that you can embed in a presentation.  Its free to join and great to use with students work as well.  Not sure about the size you are referring to, but would be worth a look-see.

http://www.youblisher.com/

• Kararaina Luke (View all users posts) 16 Jan 2014 1:51pm ()

thanks Sarah, I will try this.

• Rob Clarke (View all users posts) 14 Jan 2014 8:51pm ()

Kia ora Kararaina,

You might consider compressing the PDF first - that way it is quicker for your team mates to download and use. You'll find a number of good PDF compression utilities on the web. The ones I use (for the Mac) are either: Adobe Acrobat Pro (pricey) or PDF Toolkit+ (which is about $5!!). There are even cloud based pdf compression utilities such as compress.smallpdf.com which is obviously limited to your web connectivity. For windows there are lots of tools for this job, you'll need to test them - I'd be interested in what you find. 

Both dropbox and box.net are good tools and have slightly different functionality, however are free only up to certain space limitations - box.net allows you to embed files whereas dropbox isn't able to do that. 

It might be better to split out the exact pages you need from the PDF, then use those as snippets within the presentation - feel free to share it to me if you want an opinion (although I have limited wifi right now where I am).

Good luck,

Rob 

• Kararaina Luke (View all users posts) 16 Jan 2014 1:53pm ()

thanks Rob, I have already loaded into Box.net  then linked to my goggle presentation really well. I did contact the box.net help desk  re rotating PDF... they are still working on it.

I will  now try the compression utilities too. I see from Mark reply that it worked well for him.  thanks again.

• Kararaina Luke (View all users posts) 17 Jan 2014 12:32pm ()

Hi Rob, thanks for the small Pdf link... it is great.. cut my PDF by 47%  ... I then saved in box.net and linked so easily to my presentaion.

I will be sharing this wil my team this year... new learing, great tips...

thanks Kararaina 

• Mark Callagher (View all users posts) 15 Jan 2014 11:53am ()

Hey Rob,

Tried the compress.smallpdf.com and it was great. I had a Treaty PDF textbook which my students accessed through Docs last year (25MB) and it just compressed to 4.3MB. No apparent loss of quality.

Of course it was full of images. I take it that whoever placed the images in the original doc before converting to PDF did not compress them. This website must go through and do so. I will definitely be recommending this option in the future.

Cheers,

Mark

• Kararaina Luke (View all users posts) 16 Jan 2014 1:54pm ()

Hin Mark - great news... I will now try this one too ... Cheers KL 

Join this group to contribute to discussions.