Search
  • Discussion
  • LEARNZ
  • Memorial Park - a series of four field trips following the construction of our National War...

Memorial Park - a series of four field trips following the construction of our National War Memorial Park 2013-2015.

• Public
Started by Shelley Hersey 19 Dec 2013 3:27pm () Replies (6)

Welcome to this discussion strand for the Memorial Park series of 4 field trips, which is part of the LEARNZ Group on the VLN.

Get help and ideas about how this works and what to post, including examples of student learning.

Go to Memorial Park. These 4 field trips to Wellington are following the construction of an underpass in front of the National War Memorial to allow a new Memorial Park to be built. This major construction project has to be completed by Anzac Day 2015 in time for the centenary of the Gallipoli landings during the First World War. 

Replies

• Shelley Hersey (View all users posts) 19 Dec 2013 3:45pm ()

Kia ora koutou, having just completed the first Memorial Park field trip I'd like to share some behind the scenes news from our first look at the construction site on Buckle Street in busy Wellington.

When I first arrived on site I was surprised at the size of the project. Photos and even video sometimes don't fully capture the scale of things. The trench walls towered above us and workers seemed to be working at a frantic pace. The timeline for this huge project is short so everyone is working hard to keep to deadlines.

One of the highlights of the trip was getting to climb high above the construction site up the Carillon tower. You can see this in the video. I felt privileged to explore the whole site and get students up close to the action. Talking to engineers and designers during audioconferences students gained an appreciation for the complexity of the project and could examine its value.

It's going to be interesting on the next field trip to see how the tunnel has progressed. Andrew will be taking your students back to the construction site in May 2014.

Don't miss this opportunity to follow a nationally significant construction project leading up to the centenary of the First World War. Enrol your class now and share your ideas here about what you would like to see included in the field trip.

I'm looking forward to you and your students joining us on these field trips.

• Andrew Penny (View all users posts) 19 Dec 2013 4:07pm ()

I found the first of this series of field trips fascinating Shelley. It will be great to head to Wellington in May and see the progress. Get involved everyone!

• Andrew Penny (View all users posts) 25 Sep 2014 9:21am ()

Kia ora all

Excitement is building for the third of four LEARNZ Memorial Park virtual field trips starting 11 November 2014. What's great about taking part in this field trip is the wealth of material already on the website from the first two field trips. You will be able to fast track your students up to the present state of the project and see the huge amount of progress that has happened over the past year.

During this third trip you will see the final touches put on the tunnel floor, walls and roof and see the first stages of creating the park: the terraces covered in grass and trees, pathways and seats, and the paved Ceremonial Plaza in front of the National War Memorial. In this field trip you will feel the excitement growing as the deadline to Anzac Day 2015 gets closer!

Check out these pictures taken recently from the site:

Asphalting the road through the underpass. 

Asphalting the road through the underpass.

Hope to see you on the field trip!

Best

Andrew

• Andrew Penny (View all users posts) 28 Oct 2014 11:07am ()

Tēnā koutou,

I hope you can join me on the Memorial Park 3 field trip which takes place soon (11-13 November). On the trip your class will find out more about how this roading project to remember those who served at war is progressing.

Things to do:

AUDIOCONFERENCES

• Personalise the field trip for your students by taking part in a live audioconference using the MoE audiobridge at no cost. During audioconferences students will be able to put questions to experts who are on location.
    • Two 20-25 minute audioconferences will be held each day on 11-13 November.
    • Details about connecting to audioconferences are in your MyLEARNZ control panel. For further information see Support - Audioconferences
    • All you need for an audioconference is a speaker phone. Skype can also be used.
    • Check the audioconference topics on the timetable and book your audioconference now by emailing andrew.penny@core-ed.org

Ngā mihi

• Shelley Hersey (View all users posts) 21 Jan 2015 10:24am ()

Kia ora koutou,

Happy New Year everyone, 2015 is certainly shaping up to be an exciting year with lots of new LEARNZ field trips. From 24-26 March you and your class can join me in Wellington for the Memorial Park 4 Field Trip. Take part in the grand finale and the unveiling of Pukeahu our national war memorial park in time for ANZAC day and WW100.

Your students can be part of the action by following videos, website updates, taking part in live audioconferences and contributing to the field trip conversation via social media.

Stay tuned for details about how you can encourage further field trip student involvement and inquiry and see how you can make the most of this opportunity to have your class participating in this historical event.

See you there,

Shelley.

Join this group to contribute to discussions.

LEARNZ

LEARNZ

Teacher area for LEARNZ free virtual field trips for NZ schools