Search

School ipad setup

• Public
Started by rbaylis 17 Dec 2013 5:38pm () Replies (5)

Hi everyone,

our school has just started on our ipad journey and have recently purchased 20 ipads for our junior classes. These were setup by the ict person in our school using the school credit card to activate the accounts.

we have just received staff ipads although have been told that apple anti-fraud will not let us use the school credit card to setup the accounts on them but instead we have to use our own. I am a little uncomfortable using my own card to setup the account and am wondering how other schools have done it??

Many Thanks

Richard

Replies

• Andy Parker (View all users posts) 17 Dec 2013 6:02pm ()

Hi Richard,

A credit card isn't needed to create at AppleID to use with an iPad.

Apple has instructions at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2534 to be able to create an Apple ID without a credit card.

Once you have done this, either VPP can be used to purchase Apps (often the recommended way to do this, for purchases of 20 or more licenses there are often discounts available), or purchase giftcards for credit to the account.

Andy

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 17 Dec 2013 6:07pm ()

Get the school to buy itunes cards for your accounts.  Do NOT use your own credit card.  Good luck!

• Innes Kennard (View all users posts) 17 Dec 2013 6:54pm ()

Hi Richard

Wow what a wonderful time for the staff to get their ipads - weeks to play. I am guessing that many of them will personalise them over this time. My suggestions are:

each staff member sets up their own iTunes account preferably using an email that is not their school (gmail is fine) one and of course their own password. This makes it easier to 'take away"

the school can supply VPP codes for key school apps (of course ALL the Apple apps are now free) which staff can redeem. This uses up a code that is not retrieveable but it is a GOOD investment. Work out a system for doing this!

the school can supply gift cards for staff to explore education apps. These might, following the school procedures become apps on the classroom machines. Once again a good investment. Keep your eye open for specials where the cards are often 20-30% off.

staff can either use their own gift cards or their own credit cards to purchase their own apps. As it is 'their' iTunes account these will go with them when they either leave or purchase their own iPad - and you will be surprised how many will not be able to live without it after a very short while!

All of the above should be managed within the schools procedures and expectations - the iPads must be able to be used in classrooms. However the more the staff get to use these as personal devices the more effective they will be in using them in their classrooms.

School PD should focus on effective classroom use of these transformational devices. In addition I facilitate 'workshops' called Padults (I think it is 'my' word) that looks at the uses of the iPads for big people. This certainly helpes to embed and extend the use of the iPads within the school in ways that has been very different to the technologies of the past.

An iPad for Xmas - sounds good to me.

• Allanah King (View all users posts) 17 Dec 2013 7:55pm ()

You could try using a Prezi card for purchases if you want - that way there is a limit on the amount spent.

http://www.nzpost.co.nz/payments-prezzy-card/prezzy-card

If you want to go with some decent free apps to get you started before you embark on using Volume Purchasing then this list might be a good place to start.

https://sites.google.com/site/initialipadsetup/freebies

Join this group to contribute to discussions.