Search

School Calendars and Room Booking solutions

• Public
Started by Kevin Byrne 13 Dec 2013 4:12pm () Replies (9)

Hi all

I am seeking some possible solutions for  mutliple calendars - an overall public school one, a staff only one and then possibly an EOTC one (currently in the overall one), an assessment one etc. We currently use an Outlook calendar for our staff but I would like to be able to publish straight to the the web for the overall public school one. 

Also I am seeking a room booking solution for hall, compuetr rooms etc.

We use MUSAC and are not currently registered as a school for Google Apps. We use Office365 / Skydrive in a limited way.

Thanks Kevin

Replies

• Angela Lee (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 5:05pm ()

I'm not sure if you want to register for Google Apps or not, but thought I'd let you know it works.  We use Google Apps a lot and have found it to be the best solution for multiple calendars and resource bookings. It's also web based so easy to use on any platform - integrates well with iOS and Android too if people want to go that way.  I've found it really easy to setup and once it's setup people can use it on whatever device they want to.   It is possible to use a Google Apps calendar in Outlook I just haven't given our staff that option as it creates a few more headaches setup wise.

• Chris Le Cren (View all users posts) 16 Dec 2013 12:42pm ()

You could also have a look at the calendar and bookings system that are part of the Ultranet suite of admin and learning support tools (http://www.ultranet.co.nz/website-tools/. You can subscribe to the website tools only without the other learning management tools if that is all you want. The calendars and booking system are designed for a school environment. The calendars can be set to public viewing or specific groups only and can also RSS to personal calendars (e.g. in iCal or Outlook). For the booking system, you can also set who can view bookings and make/edit bookings and who can moderate/approve them if you need that feature (e.g. for the hall where there may be competing interests from within and outside the school). Some schools use the Ultranet bookings/calendar system in combination with Google Calendars. Google calendars work very well for schools already using Google apps.

• Jacinda Panther (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2014 11:44am ()

Does anyone have a set of instructions as to how we can set up a school wide calender, parent calender, and class calenders?

• Barbara Reid (View all users posts) 31 Jan 2014 11:54am ()

The easiest way is to create google calendars, if you are a google apps for ed school. You can create individual calendars and then overlay them so you can see them all at once if required. They can then be embedded into a school website etc. You can find instructions here - Google Calendar Support

• Tracey Burgess (View all users posts) 20 Feb 2014 7:12pm ()

Google calendars is great but you d0 need to make sure when you have multiple calendars that teachers are assigning bookings to the correct calendar.

I am going to trial ultranet booking system as we do have few issues with multiple websites for communication tools. 

• Rebecca Ronald (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2014 11:27am ()

We plan to try using Google apps for both our school calendars and our room/resource booking calendars. Is there anyone who is already using it for room bookings who has a system that makes it easy for staff to select the right times for a period? At the moment they have to type the times in themselves, and as our timetable changes on different days of the week, we want to dummy-proof it a bit. If this is possible!

Rebecca

• Leigh Hynes (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2014 11:39am ()

Make appointment slots using these instructions

http://www.thegooru.com/how-to-create-and-reserve-appointment-slots/

You can customise the times and then it is easy for people just to click on the slot available

• Amy McCauley (View all users posts) 21 Nov 2014 3:54pm ()

Through your admin console, you can create resources that can be included to any event. We have rooms such as the gym, library, kitchen as resources people can add to any event/ calendar.  If this resource is booked, it lets people know. You can also subscribe to these calendars to see when the particular resource is being used. Instructions below:

Creating a resource

Finding a resource once created

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Join this group to contribute to discussions.