Search

Holiday reading list

• Public
Started by Tessa Gray 13 Dec 2013 11:17am () Replies (11)

Yayy, the holidays are almost upon us. Some schools have already finished, while others are close to finishing this week and next.

Once you’ve got over the mad rush of Christmas, there’s hopefully time to unwind, relax and recharge the batteries. So, what’s everyone reading over the summer break?

Is there a favourite hardback, ebook, magazine, Blog, newsletter, Twitter feed or Pinterest page, Goodreads or Booklikes in store – either for relaxation or research?

We’d love to hear what’s on your holiday reading list  >>>

Image sourced from Creative Commons

Replies

• Catriona Pene (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 11:39am ()

I have just downloaded the Luminaries by Eleanor Catton to my iPad for some holiday reading after seeing this article.

Best books of the year. NZ Herald.

• Monika Kern (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 12:25pm ()

I recently finished Luminaries and I would love to know what you think :)

On the plane this morning a lovely lady from Vermont, spending the summers in New Zealand, recommended Ahab's Wife or The Star-Gazer by Sena Jeter Naslund - I might go looking for this later on today:)

• Sonja Barneveld (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 12:25pm ()

One of my useful holiday apps for collecting blog posts etc to read offline is Readlist You can create your own collection of articles you'd like to read and send it to a variety of devices. The beauty is that you don't need to be online to read it and it is also possible to share your "book" with other people. My summer reading will include A List Apart's summer reading list for the work related. I've also been  thinking I'd like to check out The Luminaries.

• Lisa Allcott (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 12:30pm ()

I'm focussing on current New Zealand junior fiction:

David Hill - Brave Company

Justin Brown - Shot, boom, score!

Phillippa Werry - New Zealand story: Lighthouse family

Des Hunt - The phantom of Terawhiti

James Norcliffe - Felix and the red rats

Joy Cowley - Dunger

Stacy Gregg - The princess and the foal

All available through the Services to schools collection or my local public library.

Happy summer reading!

• Senga White (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 12:42pm ()

I have just finished The Circle by David Eggers, which I would thoroughly recommend. This thought-provoking read follows a new employee's journey as she begins work for the world's largest and most prestigious internet company, The Circle.  This novel demonstrates the insidiousness of the merging of your private, online and work lives and the potential consequences of this.  I'd be keen to use this with Y12 or 13 students as it would create great discussion on a contentious and very timely topic.  It'll really get you thinking!

• Janet McFadden (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 1:38pm ()

Like Catriona Pene, I've also downloaded The luminaries to my iPad, via the Kobo app, and plan to read that over Christmas / New Year. I've started Khaled Hosseini's And the mountains echoed, but haven't had much reading time lately so might have to start back a chapter or two...The other day I saw that several more novels by Barcelona-born novelist Carlos Ruiz Zafon were available via Kobo, and I couldn't resist. They'll just have to sit there waiting until I finish Eleanor Catton's novel! If you haven't discovered his gothic novels, I can warmly recommend his The Cemetery of forgotton books series. The first is The shadow of the wind, followed by a prequel,The angel's game, and then The Prisoner of heaven. They're all set in Barcelona, and superbly well translated from the Spanish by Lucia Graves, daughter of poet Robert Graves. I also have a stack of actual physical books awaiting reading too! Roll on summer!

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 13 Dec 2013 2:54pm ()

This is great, thanks everyone, loving the descriptions - I've got some ideas already, so keep them coming. Smile

I'm a third the way through Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Hancock (4.1/5 start rating-Goodreads) which questions mainstream thoughts about ancient civilisation. He brings together theories and fact about highly advanced civilizations, who had profound knowledge of astronomyarchitecture, and mathematics (Tiahuanaco, Teotihuacan, Egyptian pyramids, Nazca lines of Peru). It really makes you stop and think about your beliefs about prehistoric man. I have it in my Kindle account, so can I can read it on any device. Smile

I was also thinking, it might not just text resources. Some people might find information and enjoyment from radio stations or podcasts as well?

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 17 Dec 2013 8:49am ()

Still looking for ideas? Try this Twitter feed @ #holidayreading Smile

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 18 Dec 2013 10:13am ()

Here's a cross reference to another post in, Why 3D printers? where Steve Mouldey recommends reading Invent to Learn by Gary Stager and Sylvia Martinez, about opportunities that 3D printers can provide. Smile

• Tessa Gray (View all users posts) 06 Feb 2014 7:27pm ()

How did the summertime reading go? Anything else to add?

Join this group to contribute to discussions.